none
windows 7 uefi gpt disk boot problem RRS feed

• Question

• Symptoms
    Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.
    Can be be booted with the F8 to select the boot manager to boot

Background info:
    ----------
    on a brand new pc with i3 on asus p8 h77-m csm,
    using EFI mode, I booted from a windows 7 x64 install disk (no sp) and partition and format using GPT scheme leaving about 200 GP free unsed space out of a 500 GB disk.
    installed the windows 7 and applied all updated inclduing sp1.

no problem in booting whatsover be it warn or cold start

however accidentally left a Dos Seagate tool in the dvd and cold start the pc. by the time the pc was shutdown and restart, damage was done. pc can only boot with the F8 key to choose to boot from the boot manager

what can do to fix the problem?

I could not repair with the original install disk and I don't have install disk with sp1

I googled for solutions with no luck and no answer from seagate from so far, no luck

can I boot with a windows 8 pro DVD to do repair and how?or better yet hiow to get win7 pro with sp1 ?

Monday, June 17, 2013 2:12 AM

Answers

• I wish it was pure hardware setup problem, I tried setting the bios to boot form uefi harddrive then dvd.

no luck

end up re-install from scetch, update all, use windows backup to back up an image and create an emergency recovery disk. hopefully that will make recovery easier.
    • Edited by fs - ab Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:40 AM fill in resolution
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TSModerator Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:35 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi fs-ab,

Can you just boot into Safe Mode now? How did you repair with installation disk?

Windows 8 pro DVD can’t fix this Windows 7 problem. Please try to startup repair as below guidance:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11148.how-to-replace-corrupted-or-missing-files-with-the-startup-repair-option-in-windows-recovery-environment.aspx

Best regards,

Karen Hu

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:47 AM
    • This sounds like the boot sequence is not properly set in the UEFI BIOS since you can select it using F8.
    • This is not a Windows problem, this is a hardware configuration problem.
    • Go into the UEFI/BIOS setup and configure the boot sequence.
    • You will have to read your system manual for details since this has nothing to do with Windows.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:28 AM
  • I wish it was pure hardware setup problem, I tried setting the bios to boot form uefi harddrive then dvd.

no luck

end up re-install from scetch, update all, use windows backup to back up an image and create an emergency recovery disk. hopefully that will make recovery easier.
    • Edited by fs - ab Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:40 AM fill in resolution
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TSModerator Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:35 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:41 PM