none
Windows 7 Will Not Let me Open USB Mass Storage Device

Question

• I have a USB Mass Storage Device (ULTRA 8G) and Windows 7 on a Lenovo T400 laptop. It show up under "Hardware and Devices" but it says "there is a problem with the driver for USB mass storage device. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem." I click "apply this fix" but after a few seconds it tells me "Not Fixed."

I also tried the following with no success:

1. Plug in and turn on the external USB hard drive
    2. Right mouse click on My Computer
    3. Left click on Manage
    4. Left click on Device Manager
    5. Expand the USB list
    6. Find the USB device for your USB Hard Drive (in my case it was the one that had no description)
    7. Right mouse click - Uninstall
    8. Turn off the external USB hard drive
    9. Turn on the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the drive

What do I do? The USB device worked fine on XP but I never tried it on Vista.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to know the format type of this USB device, FAT or NTFS.

If any USB hub is used, please bypass it and try another USB port. In addition, please update the BIOS and device drivers from Lenovo website.

If the issue persists, please enter Safe Mode and check if this device works.

If it does not work, try the following steps:

Rename related files 

==============

1. Click Start Menu, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box.

2. Right-click the exe file and choose "run as administrator".

3. Input the following commands in the DOS prompt window and press Enter at the end of each line:

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore

ren infcache.1 *.old

cd C:\windows\inf

ren oem*.inf *.old

If it cannot be renamed, please try it in Safe Mode.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, December 18, 2009 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:11 AM

All replies

• Also, when I right click on it under the device manager (it has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point) and click "update driver software," it tells me that the "the driver software is up to date." When I right click on the device and select "properties," it tells me "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:53 AM
  • According to the Lenovo forums, its seem users there are having success installing the latest vista drivers in compatability mode.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Hi

I have been using two OS system in my home computer one is XP sp3 and windows 7. My USB removable disk does not work with windows 7, and its working with XP. I try to fix it all the way going safe mode, removing USB driver and reinstalling driver it do does not work. Memory stick working good with XP.. So what is the solution for that??? Is it driver problem or my hardware does not have comport ability to work with windows 7.

Thanks and regards
    Mohammed sayem

Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:07 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to know the format type of this USB device, FAT or NTFS.

If any USB hub is used, please bypass it and try another USB port. In addition, please update the BIOS and device drivers from Lenovo website.

If the issue persists, please enter Safe Mode and check if this device works.

If it does not work, try the following steps:

Rename related files 

==============

1. Click Start Menu, type "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box.

2. Right-click the exe file and choose "run as administrator".

3. Input the following commands in the DOS prompt window and press Enter at the end of each line:

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore

ren infcache.1 *.old

cd C:\windows\inf

ren oem*.inf *.old

If it cannot be renamed, please try it in Safe Mode.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, December 18, 2009 9:22 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:11 AM
  • Wow John:  I don't feel like the lone ranger.  I have the exact same problem but with a different device.  I have been trying for a month to solve this problem.  Here is a copy of what I have sent to many places hoping for a solution:

My new Windows 7 computer will not recognize my Sansa e280 player.  The player is recognized on my old Vista machine and on my Dell XP laptop, so I know the settings on the player are correct.

Windows Media Player 12 is also installed and functions correctly.  It will play MP3's, DVD's, etc.

If I go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and look in the "Portable Players" section, I see a yellow triangle next to "MTP USB Device".

When I right click on that item I get 4 choices:
    1. Update driver software
    2. Disable
    3. Uninstall
    4. Scan for hardware changes

I chose "Update..."  Then I got a choice to have Windows search for the driver or select a specified place for it to look.  When I clicked on the automatic choice it searched and came back with "Driver up to date "MTP USB" Device."  I then went back and did the second choice designating "C:\Windows\System32\drivers" and got exactly the same result:
     "Driver up to date "MTP USB" Device."

Also, every time I plug the Sansa into the USB port, Windows 7 gives a message in the system tray (bottom right) indicating it is installing the drivers, but in the end it throws up and gives me a message saying that the drivers were not successfully installed, with a Code 10 error.

And, Sansa is not recognized as a drive with a drive letter in Windows Explorer.

John, did you try the command prompt fix suggested by Vivian Xing?

Anyone else have ideas/solutions?

Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:18 AM
  • No it does not work! All morning it recognized my storage device but now I can't find it nor I can back onto it. It only gives me option to back up to the DVR drive.
    Sunday, July 03, 2011 7:03 PM
  • After two years, the problem still exists.

Has anyone found a solution.

Please email me.

Mike

Monday, November 21, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Access to Manage is denied since I am not the Administrator at the Warren County Public Library.
    Friday, March 15, 2013 3:20 PM
  • gophormaxx posted the following on 2013.03.15:

Access to Manage is denied since I am not the Administrator at the Warren County Public Library.

Is your situation exactly the same as the original subject and post?  If not you need to start you own thread.

In any case, you need to provide specific details about your situation.

See the information @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 on how to ask for help.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, March 15, 2013 4:44 PM