Options in Windows 7 Are Missing in Windows 8

Question

• There are important options missing in the Network and Sharing Center Control Panel screen in Windows 8 that are in Windows 7.

Where is the option to change the Network Location to Public or Work or Home?  This text is a hot-spot (click-able) in windows 7.

The Network icon is also missing in this screen.  In windows 7, one can click this icon and change the icon and Network Name. There is also an option that lets one clean up (delete) old network names in the screen that pops up.  How does one now perform this cleanup?  The cleanup is not automatic in windows 8 as a registry search reveals ...

Window 8 Group Policy still includes these items, so it does not appear that they have been removed intentionally.

Also, in Windows 7, when you first connect to a new network, you are asked to specify the Network location.  Not so in Windows 8.  It just sets the type to 'Public' without asking.  These settings are VERY important as they determine which Windows Firewall Profile is the active one!

Charles S. Cotton

Sunday, June 10, 2012 10:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Alexandru,

I've been working on a little program for my own use, that allows the selection of the profile, just like you can do in windows 7.

This program currently allows me to choose either the public or private profile.  As near as I can tell, there is no difference between the Work and Home 'locations' in Windows 7.  They both map to the 'Private' windows firewall profile.  The 'Public' location maps to the 'Public' firewall profile, which is more restrictive, less open, based upon how you've defined your firewall rules.

+++

Selecting Public does the following:

It stops the four services (dnscache, FDResPub, SSDPSRV and upnphost) which, according to windows help, are the four services that are needed for network discovery.

It removes all the personal shares I have defined on my disks.

It changes the profile or location (called 'category' internally, in the API - how's that for naming consistency?) to Public which automatically makes the public firewall profile active.

+++

Selecting Private does the following:

Starts the four services listed above.

Adds back the various shares I have defined (stored in my own registry location).  These shares include user names.  I use name and password identity in a workgroup type of network.  I DO NOT use the 'Everyone' user.

Changes the profile (network and firewall) to 'Private'

I am going to add the ability to change the network name, which is also missing from Windows 8, a feature which you may be interested in.

When I am done, would you like a copy of the program?  If yes, let me know in this thread and I will provide a link so that you can download it.

27 August 2012 Update:

A few individuals have taken me up on my offer.  I am closing this thread because I now realize that this will simply not work unless they are in a strictly wlan (wireless radio) environment.  I wrote this for my use and it will not work on computers using wired networks.  It could be enhanced to work on wired networks, but I am not willing to do that at this time because of higher priority projects.  Sorry for any inconvenience the three individuals who requested this utility may have experienced.

• Edited by Charles Cotton Monday, August 27, 2012 5:57 PM Closing Statement
    • Marked as answer by Charles Cotton Monday, August 27, 2012 5:58 PM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:02 AM

All replies

• The network location is supposed to be defined by NLA service. That may be the reason of this UI change.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Please expand on what you said.  The network location is supposed to be defined BY THE USER!!

I don''t care if the NLA service, whatever that is, does the actual setting of the Network location, BUT, the user must be able to select the Network location, both at the time the network connection is initially created AND after the fact, upon demand, at any time, unless, of course, a group policy rule was created to prohibit changing the location, for the particular network in question.

Windows has way too many services.  It's a huge MESS!

Someone in a position of responsibility, who is also competent (perhaps there is no one who fits this description at Microsoft) should clean this HUGE MESS up, starting today ... in my humble opinion.

Oh, you don't need to remind me about 'Marking as Answer.'  When answers are provided, I will mark them accordingly.

Your response is typical.  Not only does it not provide an answer, but it raises more questions.

Charles S. Cotton

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Just open the list of the network available > right click on your current network > allow the file sharing.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:43 PM
  • What? Ditto my previous comment

Charles S. Cotton

Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:23 PM
  • I am also looking for a way to rename a network location name from let's say "Network 2" to "Home". In W7 it was easy doable. Cannot find any way to do it in W8 UI. Ofcourse it can be done using regedit but should be doable from the UI. Does anybody knows a way?

Thanks,

Alex.

Alexandru Zamfir Probitas International Bucharest, ROMANIA.

Friday, June 15, 2012 12:27 AM
  • So no one has any idea and can comment on the above post?

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:19 AM
  • Hi Alexandru,

I've been working on a little program for my own use, that allows the selection of the profile, just like you can do in windows 7.

This program currently allows me to choose either the public or private profile.  As near as I can tell, there is no difference between the Work and Home 'locations' in Windows 7.  They both map to the 'Private' windows firewall profile.  The 'Public' location maps to the 'Public' firewall profile, which is more restrictive, less open, based upon how you've defined your firewall rules.

+++

It stops the four services (dnscache, FDResPub, SSDPSRV and upnphost) which, according to windows help, are the four services that are needed for network discovery.

It changes the profile or location (called 'category' internally, in the API - how's that for naming consistency?) to Public which automatically makes the public firewall profile active.

+++

Adds back the various shares I have defined (stored in my own registry location).  These shares include user names.  I use name and password identity in a workgroup type of network.  I DO NOT use the 'Everyone' user.

I am going to add the ability to change the network name, which is also missing from Windows 8, a feature which you may be interested in.

When I am done, would you like a copy of the program?  If yes, let me know in this thread and I will provide a link so that you can download it.

27 August 2012 Update:

A few individuals have taken me up on my offer.  I am closing this thread because I now realize that this will simply not work unless they are in a strictly wlan (wireless radio) environment.  I wrote this for my use and it will not work on computers using wired networks.  It could be enhanced to work on wired networks, but I am not willing to do that at this time because of higher priority projects.  Sorry for any inconvenience the three individuals who requested this utility may have experienced.

• Edited by Charles Cotton Monday, August 27, 2012 5:57 PM Closing Statement
    • Marked as answer by Charles Cotton Monday, August 27, 2012 5:58 PM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:02 AM
  • Yes I would like a copy of your program if can make it as polished as the Windows 7 Network pane please. There are many options eliminated in Windows 8 from the Network and Sharing Center. They want to "simplify" through the art of elimination of features people use.

-  The Network Map feature is gone
    -  The Network profile management UI as this thread says, (setting a network as Private, Public, customizing the name and icon) is gone
    -  Redialing options (redial attempts, time between attempts, idle threshold) for VPN, PPPoE, DSL and dial-up connections is gone
    -  The option to view status of a connection by right clicking it in "View Available Networks" UI is gone
    -  Virtual Wi-Fi (hosted wireless) connections are no longer displayed in the VAN UI
    -  Ability to create ad hoc wireless connection is removed
    -  Wi-Fi Toggle Time is removed from Mobility center
    -  Manage Wireless Network folder is gone

Welcome to the art of eliminating functionality and charging for the "upgrade".

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:52 PM
  • This is all about as transparent as mud:

• The way you change Public to Private is to turn sharing on.
    • The Public/Private label is on the Network and Sharing Center screen, while the Turn Sharing On or Off option is hidden on the Networks panel. You only see it if you right-click the network name.

The UI was relatively understandable in Windows 7. W8 has taken it a step backwards IMNSHO.

MSFT could largely fix this by restoring the Public/Private hyperlink on the label on the Network/Sharing Center screen and have it take you to the Sharing On/Off panel. That would both (a) make the setting easy to locate and (b) bridge the gap in nomenclature.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:38 PM
  • firstly, I don't know if you are using Developer preview, Consumer Preview or RC, but at least in RC, if you click the network icon, right click the network and then click turn sharing on or off, by selecting share or don't share, it will set location of network. I agree, not as nice as windows 7, but works better for a tablet user, since this menu can be called from any app.

also, upon first connecting to a network, again I can't remember DP or CP for certain, but the feature is certainly there in RC, the same popup should show as in windows 7. in the network and sharing center control panel, the task pane(bar on the left for those of you who haven't used XP recently) has the option missing from 7 as you mentioned, but the network is removed when you uncheck connect automatically in the network pane. again, not as elegant, but it will work fine for most users. while you certainly are entitled to your own opinion, I feel that bridging the gap between slates and tablets and more powerful full workstations is going to be messy, but Microsoft has got themselves a great start here.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:21 PM
  • an art we can all thank Steve jobs for.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Hi Alexandru,

+++

+++

Charles S. Cotton

Charles,

Sorry for the late reply. I will surely do like to try your app. Thanks for your efforts. It's a shame that MS decided to remove this features from W8. For an IT professional connecting to a lot of networks I will have Network 34234 listed very fast  in W8 without being able to do some house cleaning.

Kr,

Alex.

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Hi Alexandru,

No problem on the delay.  I have been working on several other projects.  Though the program is usable now and I have been using it, I need to fix a problem in it relating to a failure in the display of the tray icon on rare occasions.  I know how to fix this and and just need to put the code update into the program which I will do in the next few days.  When that is fixed, I will put up a web link in this thread that will allow you to download the program.

Charles S. Cotton

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Hi Alexandru,

I've fixed the problem with the rare failure of the display of icon.  I have also added the feature that allows changing the network name and have confirmed that it works in Windows 7, 8CP and 8RP.

Instead of putting it on the internet (because I currently am in the process of get my website ready to bring online), I will email this program to you, if you provide an email address.  You can email your address to me at c.cot@att.net.

Charles S. Cotton

Thursday, August 09, 2012 5:48 PM
  • open network and sharing center and click on change adapter setting.  Right click the adapter you want to rename and select rename. Rename it to whatever you want.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:42 AM