none
Windows 10 TWAIN drivers and GPO (.ds file) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering if anyone run to this issue. We are having problems with installing drivers for Fujitsu scanner (fi-series) in our Windows 10 Enterprise environment. Looks like this might be related to our GPO policy but we can't pin point it. Here is the issue:

Just installed approved TWAIN drivers for fujitsu scanner (PaperStream IP) on Windows 10 device (i doesn't matter what build). After plugging the scanner to the USB port the system should detect and create a model specific .ds file in C:\Windows\twain_32\Fjicube - unfortunately nothing happens. 

• We already ruled out antivirus settings and permission settings.
    • We did run ProcMon but unfortunately nothing happens after we plug in the scanner to the USB port. Just a note – the WIA drivers are installing correctly and we can see the scanner in Device Manager.
    • The WIA, Shell Hardware detection and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) services are up and running
    • We already tried local admin account – same issue

We moved our test Windows 10 device to “No GPO” AD group (no group policies applied), plugged the scanner into an USB, the system picked it up, created the model specific .ds file in  C:\Windows\twain_32\Fjicube and now our TWAIN software is working as a charm.

Any idea what can block this very specific procedure on windows 10?

Thanks

Marek

Monday, August 19, 2019 5:41 PM

All replies

• Post the results of your GPO using this command, Gpresult /h report.html
    Monday, August 19, 2019 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

Please check the following group policy:

Open gpedit and locato to,

Computer Configuration-> Administrative Templates-> System-> Removable Storage Access-> All Removable Storage classes: Deny all access 

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:34 AM
  • Hello,

This option is "not configured". The USB connection is picked up by WIA drivers but TWAIN specific .ds file is never created.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:44 AM
    Let me figure out how to attach the file - it's pretty big....and my account is not verified yet so i can't attach any links.
    • Edited by Marek_AK Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:08 PM update
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:46 PM

Hi.

I think I found the culprit of this issue, but i just don't understand where is it coming from - can't find it anywhere in the gpresult....

I found the following entry in the registry: DisableLocalMachineRun (0x0000001(1)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

After looking online I don't really see any GPO responsible for this behavior. Once the DisableLocalMachineRun (0x0000001(1) was removed the TWAIN driver issue was resolved. When I plug in the scanner, the system creates .ds file with no issues.

Any idea where is this coming from?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 1:24 PM

Hi.

I think I found the culprit of this issue, but i just don't understand where is it coming from - can't find it anywhere in the gpresult....

I found the following entry in the registry: DisableLocalMachineRun (0x0000001(1)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

After looking online I don't really see any GPO responsible for this behavior. Once the DisableLocalMachineRun (0x0000001(1) was removed the TWAIN driver issue was resolved. When I plug in the scanner, the system creates .ds file with no issues.

Any idea where is this coming from?

Thanks

OK - found it - had to use gpresult /scope computer - It's part of windows 10 GPO.

DisableLocalMachineRun State: Enabled

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 1:35 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Yilia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 22, 2019 3:22 AM