none
"Peer Name Resolution Protocol" will not start?

Question

• Everything was working fine (using RTM) for about a week... I find today that my Homegroup was not working. Further investigation finds that "Peer Name Resolution Protocol" will not start, seemingly causing the problem. It gives some error that no Bing or Google search find ANYTHING for. Even MS support gives nothing. Nice going MS superstars... lotta good an error code that cannot be looked up is!

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Monday, October 12, 2009 4:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Does the issue persist after doing a clean installation of Windows 7?

If the issue persists, I suggest we perform the suggestions from the link below:

Home Group Issues

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, October 16, 2009 1:56 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:31 AM

All replies

• I tried a repair/upgrade... did not fix the problem. I had to install clean. I had nothing installed on Win7 except MS Security Essentials. I was using it as a media center.

here's the error in case someone at MS decides to do the right thing and fix this...

Services
    ---------------------------
    Windows could not start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service on Local Computer.
    Error 0x80630801: 0x80630801

Monday, October 12, 2009 7:12 AM
  • Hi,

Does the issue persist after doing a clean installation of Windows 7?

If the issue persists, I suggest we perform the suggestions from the link below:

Home Group Issues

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, October 16, 2009 1:56 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:31 AM
  • From an elevated CMD prompt.
    Net stop p2pimsvc /y

Then delete the following file.

"C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

reboot and you should be able to rejoin the homegroup.

-- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by Jimmy Shao Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:18 AM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:38 PM
  • Wish I would have had this info 11 days before you posted it... Win7 is still very buggy. :(

Brian, maybe you can put that in a KB so people can find the info when needed?
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Thanks it worked for me today.
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Will you please tell me in laymans terms exactly what I should do step by step.Please make it easy to understand,for example when you say  from an elevated CMD promt What do you mean?Also how do I delete the File you say to delete.Once again please explain so I can follow step by step.

Thank You so much

Paul Nap

Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Will you please explain to me how to do the CMD prompt and then how to delete file

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst    I need you to explain it to me step by step how to delete the file

Thank You  Napa21

• Proposed as answer by Le-Phantom Monday, December 17, 2012 9:39 AM
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 12:14 AM
  • 1) Start Menu, Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select run as Administrator

2) Start Menu, Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer, Copy and Paste this C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\ into the task bar at the top and you will see the file. Highlight it and press delete.

Google of course could easily sort this out for you too!

• Proposed as answer by Jimmy Shao Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:18 AM
    Saturday, January 01, 2011 11:40 AM
  • 1) Start Menu, Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select run as Administrator

2) Start Menu, Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer, Copy and Paste this C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\ into the task bar at the top and you will see the file. Highlight it and press delete.

Google of course could easily sort this out for you too!

I did this and I got this message          Windows can`t find

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\   check spelling and try again

Paul Napolitano
    Monday, April 04, 2011 1:31 AM
  • Awesome fix, saved me a lot of trouble. Cheers!

Curious, where-o-where did you pull that one out?

• Edited by collinsps Friday, September 09, 2011 2:28 PM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 2:27 PM
  • you are so cool, just solve the problem by following your post.

thanks!

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:18 AM
  • This is the responce I get

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Peer
    Networking/
    'C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking/' is not
     recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Peer
    Networking
    'C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking' is not
    recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>

Paul Napolitano
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:03 PM
  • locate the path manually, by opening Windows Explorer and expanding the folders, the AppData folder is a 'hidden folder' you will need to view all hidden folders\files and 'system protected files' so you can see the folder, then you will see the file.
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 2:12 PM
  • This solution is still valid over 2 years on, very pleased to have come across this before trying something more drastic. Thanks.
    Monday, December 17, 2012 9:40 AM
  • amazing ,,, thanks a lot  ...it solved my problem

Regards

Sankarsan Biswas

Monday, December 24, 2012 6:50 AM
  • I quit my home group and restarted. Rejoined the group restarted the computer and all was right in the world.
    • Proposed as answer by Issiah Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:44 AM
    • Edited by Issiah Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:47 AM spelling error
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:43 AM
  • This did not work for me for some reason. I am having problems initializing the Peer Name Resolution Protocol, and I believe that to be the issue. Any further suggestions?

Thanks.

Saturday, June 22, 2013 5:03 PM
  • Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:09 PM