Cannot upgrade from Win8 to Win 8.1 RTM on VHD

Question

• Hi all,

I have a weird problem: my Win8 installation is on a virtual hard disk (VHD). I try to upgrade to 8.1 RTM but I get an error "Windows cannot install on a virtual drive".

I remember there was a similar *warning* when installing Win8, but one could just ignore it and continue with the installation. Now in 8.1, it seems that the warning became a blocking error...

Any ideas please ?

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:12 AM

Answers

• Apparently, the Windows 8.1 ISOs on MSDN/TechNet only allow for clean installs.  For an upgrade workaround, please read the comments posted by "KL" and "tassos" in this blog.

Also, please read the comment posted by "Guggs" [timestamp "10 Sep 2013 8:10 AM"] wherein he states: "For actual upgrade, you will have to wait until GA.  This release is for testing 8 and 8.1 apps and drivers.  The ability to upgrade 8 will be available via retail channels at GA."

Note: GA = General Availability                 

Carey Frisch

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by tasanton Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

have the same problem...

Bernhard

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:32 PM
  • Apparently, the Windows 8.1 ISOs on MSDN/TechNet only allow for clean installs.  For an upgrade workaround, please read the comments posted by "KL" and "tassos" in this blog.

Also, please read the comment posted by "Guggs" [timestamp "10 Sep 2013 8:10 AM"] wherein he states: "For actual upgrade, you will have to wait until GA.  This release is for testing 8 and 8.1 apps and drivers.  The ability to upgrade 8 will be available via retail channels at GA."

Note: GA = General Availability                 

Carey Frisch

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by tasanton Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Thanks Carey, This is a bit weird, because I am "Tassos" in the other blog you mentioned :) Upgrade option works fine on a physical disk (with some tweaking). So are we waiting for the GA then?
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:22 PM
  • My natural expectation would be that I would have the capability of upgrading Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 using the Windows 8.1 ISO file downloaded from MSDN. I'm rather surprised that this capability does not exist.

For clarification: is it accurate to say that a different product key is required only for fresh installations of Windows 8.1? Windows 8 product keys will still work, and allow you to download the 8.1 update from the Windows Store? This is very confusing.

Cheers,

Trevor Sullivan

If this post was helpful, please click the little "Vote as Helpful" button :)

Trevor Sullivan
    Trevor Sullivan's Tech Room
    Twitter Profile

Monday, September 16, 2013 12:38 AM