I Changed my username and now I can't access my documents RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please help me with this problem. I had changed my username and password yesterday and now I am unable to access my documents. It doesn't matter if I am trying to open a Word document or a PDF.  It says I do not have permission to access this file. Contact the owner or administrator. I am still an administrator so I am a bit lost. Unfortunately I did not create a restore point, and my last one was too long ago. I did not think I would need one since I thought I was making a simple change.  Any help would be much appreciated.

THANK YOU!

Friday, February 17, 2017 1:05 AM

All replies

• Try pressing the F8 key on pc start,normal-safe-mode,once in windows/user accounts,re-enter old user name,

maybe delete or no password,exit,restart pc.Old user data is on C: HD,open,user accounts,one could/should be

able to incorporate/merge to another account (maybe) the 1st selection is best...

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:03 AM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 2:33 AM

Right click on your document or Folders then Properties/Security Tab. On Group or users name - window click on Edit, next click Add, click on Advanced/Find Now, choose your username then OK. You can give additional rights for user checking boxes for the specific user in "Permissions for username"  window

Saturday, February 18, 2017 9:30 AM
  • Hi,

I assume these are files from your previous installation. Take ownership of them.

Check the permissions of the file or folder the file is saved in and take ownership:

1. Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Security tab.

3. Under Group or user names, click your name to see the permissions you have.

To take ownership of a folder:

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

3. Click Edit. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.

5. If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this folder, select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.

6. Click OK

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 20, 2017 7:43 AM