none
Windows 7 Pro / Seagate 3TB drive - Formats but cannot access full drive ability

Question

• I am running an ASUS mb with a current BIOS.... updated it today.  I am also running Windows 7 Pro with all updates.... computer runs fine.

I purchased a new Seagate HD at 3 TB's but can only access about 746 GB of space on it.

I went to Admin tools / Disk Mgr and formatted the drive....  I attempted to convert it to a Dynamic Disk (GBT) usuage but during the process I get an Error Msg under the Virt Disk Mgr saying " Operation is NOT supported by the object".

I have seen this before on another computer when attempting to us a Hard Drive over 2 TB's in Windows 7.  It only occurs with 3 TB drives.

Wrote to Seagate and no reply as of today...

Windows driver issue?  Seagate issue ?  Problems remind me of the older days when larger hard drives came out and the BIOS could not handle the drive, so you used  a Translation Program which solved the problem to read Larger Drives.... but that was back in the 1990's.

Any ideas, Anyone .... Pls !

If not, will have to return drive to store.

Thanks,

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 12:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Generally, the method to get native access to hard drives bigger than 2TB is to adopt the new BIOS standard called UEFI.

But just as a reference, you may install the Seagate official tool to utilize your 3TB drive:

beyond-2tb

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, November 04, 2011 8:12 AM

All replies

• Just a thought, did bios detect the full capacity as in 3TB? So far have you try installing the drive with seagate discwizard? As it helps to overcome legacy capacity limits of 2.1TB

Lastly is the windows 7 pro with sp?

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:13 AM
    Answerer
  • I flashed by BIOS to the last version that they had out last month.  The BIOS sees the new HD but the issue is in Windows.

The discwizard did not help either....  When I tried to use it and install the new 3TB drive and an extra drive,  The Seagate DiscWizard detected the drive and the main partition was about 746GB.  I did notice that it also tried to make 2 smaller partitions.... one around 24GB and the other around 200 GB.  So using their software, in reality, it made or tried to make 3 partitions..... but combined it never went over 1TB.... makes no sense.

If i use a 2TB drive it is fully detected....

It is Windows 7 Pro with the latest SP and every update that ever came out from MS.... there are no newer updates for my computer.

I did some reading last night on the net and apparently they may have an update some time next year for the 3TB drive.... possible software update or firmware to work with Windows.... but not sure if it is true.

Now, if you take this same drive (3tb) for example, and use it in a Server with a RAID configuration running a different op system, it seems to work fine.  A friend told me he had very large servers at his company using these drives in RAID and they worked fine,  but using another software company.... so it is back to Windows issue I guess.

I ended up returning the Drive last night.... just too much frustration with it and the lack of help from Seagate,  or should I say the lack of response.  I also saw many others on the net complaining about the same thing.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:45 PM
  • I flashed by BIOS to the last version that they had out last month.  The BIOS sees the new HD but the issue is in Windows.

The discwizard did not help either....  When I tried to use it and install the new 3TB drive and an extra drive,  The Seagate DiscWizard detected the drive and the main partition was about 746GB.  I did notice that it also tried to make 2 smaller partitions.... one around 24GB and the other around 200 GB.  So using their software, in reality, it made or tried to make 3 partitions..... but combined it never went over 1TB.... makes no sense.

If i use a 2TB drive it is fully detected....

It is Windows 7 Pro with the latest SP and every update that ever came out from MS.... there are no newer updates for my computer.

I did some reading last night on the net and apparently they may have an update some time next year for the 3TB drive.... possible software update or firmware to work with Windows.... but not sure if it is true.

Now, if you take this same drive (3tb) for example, and use it in a Server with a RAID configuration running a different op system, it seems to work fine.  A friend told me he had very large servers at his company using these drives in RAID and they worked fine,  but using another software company.... so it is back to Windows issue I guess.

I ended up returning the Drive last night.... just too much frustration with it and the lack of help from Seagate,  or should I say the lack of response.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

Generally, the method to get native access to hard drives bigger than 2TB is to adopt the new BIOS standard called UEFI.

But just as a reference, you may install the Seagate official tool to utilize your 3TB drive:

beyond-2tb

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, November 04, 2011 8:12 AM
  • Thursday, December 01, 2011 5:56 AM
  • You need to find a UEFI based motherboard

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:42 AM