none
Explorer.exe Windows can not access the specified device, Path, of file windows 7

Question

• My pc was working with no errors yesterday, last night as I powered the windows 7 system down, it told me that there was a update to do.  The pc did the update for Internet Explorer 8 for windows & (KB976749) and shut down.  Today all other Standard users can not launch Explorer, they get the Windows can not access the specified device, Path, of file.  Admin accounts work with no issues and the security looks the same?

Any ideas??
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 7:33 PM

Answers

• Does the error occur when launching Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer?

Please perform a System Restore and check whether the issue persists when accessing Explorer. If the error persists, please let me know. Otherwise, I suggest you manually reinstall the update in admin account.

For your reference, I have enclosed the download link below:

Update for Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7 (KB976749)

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, November 09, 2009 9:10 AM
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:56 AM

All replies

• Does the error occur when launching Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer?

Please perform a System Restore and check whether the issue persists when accessing Explorer. If the error persists, please let me know. Otherwise, I suggest you manually reinstall the update in admin account.

For your reference, I have enclosed the download link below:

Update for Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7 (KB976749)

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, November 09, 2009 9:10 AM
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Hi Novak,

Thanks for your reply.  No the error only happens with Windows explorer, IE is fine.  This is one effecting the standard user accounts on the pc, the admin account and my account does not have this problem.  I have tried changing one of the accounts to an admin account, but the issue still remains with the user. 

The system restore will have to wait till this evening as I am working on the pc at the moment.  I will update this post once I have tried the system restore.

Cheers

John

Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:56 AM
  • OK, you can also create a new standard user for a test.
    Friday, November 06, 2009 8:44 AM
  • <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, been away.  System restore did not resolve the issues.  The system kept telling me that one or more file could not be changed, so no files were changed.  I did managed to get around the problem by backing up the user accounts, then deleting all the standard user account and recreating them from scratch.  I then restored the users files from a backup.  The problem has never happened on the other PC, also Windows 7, but never updated with the explorer 8 update and still work fine.

Problem now worked around and for my issue resolved.

Cheers

John.

Monday, November 16, 2009 11:42 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem, but only for a domain user.  My local user and Admin work fine.  IE works fine, but I try to use anything (Control panel, open my computer, documents, etc.) that uses explorer.exe it gives me errors.  The domain user in question is a Domain Admin, and is part of the local admin group.

I tried a system restore, but it only had 1 restore point (why?  not sure, have installed lots of updates since the initial installation yesterday afternoon) and it didn't help.

The really weird thing is as a local admin, when I go to view/edit user accounts, the domain user is not listed.

I was able to log in as the affected domain user in Safe Mode, and explorer works fine.  Also, viewing the user account properties in Safe Mode shows the domain user.

I'm tempted to go through Safe Mode and delete the domain user and let it re-create itself, but I'm hoping there is an alternate solution and an explanation for why this happened in the first place.  Our company is looking to migrate our users to Windows 7 and if this is a common problem it's going to be one giant headache.  At this point we are thing that we'll stick with Vista & XP.

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by Kujan Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:24 PM
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Found my problem.  Apparently there is something wrong in the user's profile under AppData\Local.  Once the link to that folder is corrupt, the user then experiences the problems mentioned above.  I've had to follow the steps from the following article to completely remove the profile and recreate it.  After recreation everything works fine.  Very odd.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

• Proposed as answer by Kujan Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:26 PM
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:26 PM
  • I have a similar problem with one Windows 7 box but not another. Both running Ultimate with domain users. What's odd, if I leave it for 20-30 minutes, everything Explorer related starts working again. I've tried recreating the profile but the problem comes back again. Both boxes run the same software and AV.

This sounds like some sort of bug.

P.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:04 AM
  • RESOLVED!  Had the exact same problem after clean install of windows 7 ultimate x64.  I managed to right click my computer then click manage.  Expand users and create a new user with administrators access.  Then delete the original.  Switch user or reboot and you're good to go!
    Monday, December 26, 2011 3:45 PM
  • This is due to a corrupt profile.  Delete the user profile and reboot. 
    MCP, MCTS, MCSA,MCSE
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:11 PM