none
Driver for Base System Device

Question

• I just installed Windows 7 Beta on my HP Pavilion Dv9000 laptop and everything is working really well, but in device manager I have 2 items listed under Other Devices that say Base Sytem Device.  I am assuming I need some kind of driver for them, but I am not sure how to tell what they are or what driver they will need.  How do I figure this out? If I get the properties of these devices under the general tab I see Device type: Other device, Manufacturer: Unknown, and Location: PCI bus 9, device 9, function 3. Any help would be great!

Thanks,

-scott
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 11:04 PM

Answers

• Hello,

If there is nothing wrong with the computer, I think you should just ignore those two items in the device manager. Otherwise, I suggest that you should wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:16 AM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 9:52 AM

All replies

• The first thing that I would suggest would be to hit up Windows Update (if you haven't already done so), and take a look at any 'optional updates' that you're offered (drivers are listed there.)  If WU offers you any drivers, take 'em.  Reboot if necessary, and recheck your Device Manager.

If WU does not have any additional drivers for you, then download the latest Vista (32- or 64-bit, depending on which version of Win7 you installed) chipset, etc, drivers from HP's support site (I'd link to the necessary page, but, "dv9000" is too generic.  Need exact model#, from the build tag on the bottom of the notebook.)

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:13 AM
  • Chris, 

I did check the Windows Updates and they are all installed even the others you spoke of.  My system Product # is RL653AV.  I have checked the HP site and see all the 64-bit Vista drivers, but am not sure which  ones cover these two that are showing up in the Device Manager.
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Hello,

If there is nothing wrong with the computer, I think you should just ignore those two items in the device manager. Otherwise, I suggest that you should wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

For more details, please look at the first sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:16 AM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 9:52 AM
  • Open up Device Manager.  On the devices in question, right-click and select properties.  On the Details tab, take note of the values listed under Hardware ID.

Go here, http://www.pcidatabase.com/, to see if you can find out exactly what it is.  If you dual boot, you can find out by running MSINFO32 from the other Windows OS, exporting the contents to a text file and doing a search on the PCI\VEN number.

Another method for getting the right driver is to download all of the available drivers for your particular motherboard or system.  Extract them all to a directory with each in its own separate subdirectory.  Make sure the drivers are extracted as you will need .INF and/or .SYS files.  From there, use Device Manager to update the drivers pointing the top-level directory that contains your downloaded, extracted drivers.

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Popescu Wednesday, October 07, 2009 4:49 AM
    Friday, February 20, 2009 9:12 PM
  • This did the trick for me on windows xp 32 bit.  I practically gave up on account of not being able to figure out what the enigmatic "base system" device in devmgmt.msc was, and pcidatabase linked me right to exactly what i needed.

thanks Darien,

-Daniel Popescu
    -Pops
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 4:51 AM
  • I just installed Windows 7 Beta on my HP Pavilion Dv9000 laptop and everything is working really well, but in device manager I have 2 items listed under Other Devices that say Base Sytem Device.  I am assuming I need some kind of driver for them, but I am not sure how to tell what they are or what driver they will need.  How do I figure this out? If I get the properties of these devices under the general tab I see Device type: Other device, Manufacturer: Unknown, and Location: PCI bus 9, device 9, function 3. Any help would be great!

Thanks,

-scott

You guys need to download  Ricoh 5-in-1 Card Reader Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista , that seems to do it for me. Here is a x86 driver link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-46833-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3253948&sw_lang=&os=2093

Saturday, May 15, 2010 4:21 AM
  • The Ricoh 5-in-1 Card Reader...driver worked to solve my exact same problem. 
    Monday, December 09, 2013 4:09 AM