none
Lenovo X201 Integrated Webcam won't work with Skype

Question

• I have a X201 laptop that I purchased about 6 months ago with an integrated webcam.  I just added Skype and am unable to get the video working.  Each time I try it tells me that I should close any other application that could be using the camera.  But of course, I have no idea what application that could be unless it is something resident at startup as I have nothing else running.  I have also tried an external video camera with the same result.  I logged into Windows Live Messenger and changed the settings so it will load at start-up but no luck.

I have read many forums, but not found anything that would work.  Any thoughts?  I just want to chat with my kids when I am on the road for work.

Thanks

Sunday, April 03, 2011 11:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Would you please let me know if any webcam related software is installed?

The issue could be caused by old graphic card driver or webcam driver. Therefore, go to load the latest drivers from the manufacture's site.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70656.html

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-72826

Perform the Clean Boot and select your video device in Skype under Skype -> Preferences -> Audio/Video. You can set your video privacy settings in Skype -> Preferences -> Privacy.

If the issue persists, please contact Skype forum to get more help.

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showforum=36

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Niki,

Thanks for the help.  I have updated all of the drivers from the IBM site including those above and done the Clean Boot up to the point of running it with only Microsoft Services running.  And I still have the issue.  I assume that it is something resident in the OS or something.  I will contact the Skype forum as well, but ...

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Drew

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Hi Drew,

Please let me know what software for this webcam is installed? What error message is received? Did the LED of the webcam lights up? If not, it indicates the webcam doesn't work. Make sure the hardware isn't broken. You could confirm with the Lenovo support.

Also refer to the following post in Skype Forum. There are some tips.

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=59881

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:34 AM
  • Niki,

Here is some more information about my system.  I have Windows 7 64bit installed.  I have been able to get the camera to work using the Windows Live Movie Maker software, but not in any messenging software - primarily Skype and Yahoo Messenger.  I have been on hte phone with Lenovo help and they now want to re-image the system back to factory settings, which I would prefer not to do if I can get this working another way.  I have looked at the Skype forum and searched many others online and have seen a great deal about issues with webcams and Windows 7, but non of the suggestions in those forums have worked.  I have updated all drivers and the system itself so everything is up to date.

The specific message I get when in Skype is as follows "Can't start video.  Try closing other programs that might be using your webcam."

In Windows 7 there is no specific software installed to control the webcam.  I have also tried to load Splitcam and that did not work either.

I sincerely appreciate your help with this.

Thanks.

Drew

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:30 AM
  • Hi Drew,

Have you loaded the latest Skype version? The following article shows how to troubleshoot the Skype no video issue.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-troubleshoot-when-skype-has-no-video-windows/

Also check if any video capture software is installed as the following link:

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=805111

However, if both your integrated webcam and external webcam fail again, it could be compatible issue. Only the manufacture for webcam or for Skype can resolve the issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Niki,

Thanks again, but no luck.  Really frustrating.

Drew

Drew Misher
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Hi

I had a similar problem for my t430s laptop and I was able to solve it by either 1st going on my thinkvantage conference program and allowing my video to be shown instead of hidden. 2nd I went to skype video setting and changed my webcam from the integrated webcam to the think vantage virtual camera.

After this I was able to get it working. Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Inga2407 Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:27 PM
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:31 PM