none
HDR cannot be enabled in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I desperately need your help. The goal is to get HDR enabled in Windows 10, but all HDR sliders under "Windows HD color settings" are still greyed out and cannot be enabled. Spent hours of testing to no avail.

Setup:

TV:
    - LG E6 OLED TV (definitely HDR compatible)

PC:
    - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (definitely HDR compatible)
    - Windows 10 64bit, Build 18362

What I tried (and still remember):

TV:
    - Enable "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color" for all HDMI ports
    - Make sure the latest firmware is used
    - Try out all input label like "PC", " Game Console" etc..
    - Use the TV as the only display connected to the PC
    - Reset to factory settings

HDMI cable:
    - Try an HDMI 2.1 cable
    - Try various HDMI 2.0a high speed cables

PC:
    - Use MPC-HC/madVR to play a HDR video using HDR passthrough, it works! TV detects and plays HDR content
    - Try NVIDIA settings like RGB 8bit full, YCbCr 4:2:2 8/10/12bit Limited, YCbCr 4:4:4 8 bit Limited
    - Try newest and older GPU drivers
    - Set refresh rate to 30Hz
    - Fresh Windows install

An excerpt of the PCs dxdiag PCs dxdiag result can be downloaded here. In particular these 2 lines are odd:

1) Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported (BT2020RGB BT2020YCC )
    2) Advanced Color: Not Supported

For 1), the values "BT2020RGB BT2020YCC" only appear when "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color" is enabled on the TV's HDMI port, otherwise it will only say "HDR Not Supported" without the brackets. So switching the "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color" at least does something. But another value "Eotf2084Supported" should appear in the brackets when the setting is enabled, but it doesn't! Using an EDID override did add the "Eotf2084Supported" value which resulted in a "HDR Supported" monitor capability, but messing around with EDID shouldn't be necessary...

For 2), "Advanced Color" should actually say "AdvancedColorSupported". But even when using an EDID override as mentioned in 1), the value stays "Not Supported". There is not much information on this value in the internet, but it looks like it's not coming from EDID? As the hardware should support it, what can be done to switch the value to "AdvancedColorSupported"?

Please help, thanks a lot!

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 10:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

I have confirmed with the Windows 10 Hardware & Performance supporter, this thread is more related to the hardware issue. So I will move it to the correct forum to get better support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Drake

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 2:16 AM
  • Hi

HDR is turned off by default in Windows 10. So if the display still doesn’t look impressive, you need to enable HDR in Windows 10 by following our tutorial.

More details you could refer to the following link:

How to enable HDR Playback for Video Streaming apps in Windows 10

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best regards

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 8, 2019 8:52 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Kiki Shi

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 11, 2019 1:29 AM
  • Hi Kiki,

Unfortunately your reply was not helpful at all. As said, HDR sliders under "Windows HD color settings" are greyed out, HDR cannot be enabled! And the reason is that Windows thinks the TV is not HDR compatible. The question is how does dxdiag determine whether "Advanced Color" is "AdvancedColorSupported" or not.

PS: The link you provided is also for an older Windows 10 version, the setting was moved to "Windows HD color settings".

Saturday, November 16, 2019 5:06 PM
  • *Bump*
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 4:51 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the reply delays.

Kindly refer to the following link and check if it works:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/ja-JP/036684c0-5895-4387-b6e9-50039c29c589/hdr-mode-and-color-profiles?forum=win10itprogeneral

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki

Thursday, November 28, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Hi Kiki,

I have tried to use the "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" and "Wide Gamut RGB" as default profile, but dxdiag's "Advanced Color" is still "Not Supported" and the HDR sliders are still greyed out.

What value does dxdiag read to determine the value of "Advanced Color"? Thanks!

Saturday, November 30, 2019 4:44 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I totally understand the inconvenience this issue has brought to you, and your current feeling about this issue. Your kind understanding is appreciated. We will keep pushing and tracking the process.

Please feedback this situation to Microsoft via Feedback Hub app, I am also going to submit this case.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki

Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:01 AM
  • Hi Kiki,

Ok, I've submitted the feedback 2 days ago. If there is any update, I will post it here, would be glad if you could do so, too, thanks!

Monday, December 9, 2019 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your understanding.

If there is any progress, we will reply you as soon as possible.

Have a nice day~

Kiki

Monday, December 9, 2019 6:59 AM