none
Keyboard doesn't work after specific user logs in ...

Question

• Hello,

I have a Windows Vista SP2 system that has two separate accounts; one is an administrator and one is the standard client. When the system starts up, the keyboard works fine but when the standard client logs in the keyboard stops working.

The keyboard works for the administrative user, however.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Regards, Christopher K.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:54 PM

Answers

• Had what sounds like a very similar problem on a Windows XP computer. User could enter their logon details, but when their profile loaded the keyboard did not work.

In this instance it was the Filter Keys.

The user had an icon that looked like an alarm clock down in the System Tray. Double clicking on that brought up the Accessibility Options and I unticked the Use Filter Keys check box, then OK'd out.

Another way to get to the Accessibility Options is go to Start>Control Panel>Accessibility Options.

Hope that this helps someone.

• Marked as answer by ckoeber Friday, November 19, 2010 3:12 AM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:17 AM

All replies

• Had what sounds like a very similar problem on a Windows XP computer. User could enter their logon details, but when their profile loaded the keyboard did not work.

The user had an icon that looked like an alarm clock down in the System Tray. Double clicking on that brought up the Accessibility Options and I unticked the Use Filter Keys check box, then OK'd out.

Another way to get to the Accessibility Options is go to Start>Control Panel>Accessibility Options.

• Marked as answer by ckoeber Friday, November 19, 2010 3:12 AM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:17 AM

This was a long time ago for me now but I believe what Richard wrote above was the fix for it.

Thanks.

Regards,

Christopher Koeber

Regards, Christopher K.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 3:12 AM
  • As the character Col. Hans Landa says near the end of Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds (sic), "That's a bingo!"

It was quite a hassle searching help forums with the on-screen keyboard for the answer you provided here.  I thought I was loosing my mental faculties.  Other users could use the keyboard, other computers could use the keyboard, I could not use the keyboard.

I never would have thought to check Filter Keys because of its obscurity.  Well, a round of snaps, a hearty hurrah...Thank you and well done, sir

-

• Edited by Robert1117 Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:26 AM a space in Mr. Tatantino's name
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Thanks so much for this gem. My forehead was bleeding from banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out. Unchecking 'Sticky Keys' in 'Accessibilty' got my keyboard functionality back.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Thanks Richard Pestell I used your tip and It's working all rite............

have nice day

Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:41 AM
  • Worked for me, thanks for the heads up.
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:13 PM
  • well done it help and save time .........
    Monday, December 22, 2014 7:50 AM
  • Thank you so much! I've had this problem for months. I worked around it by turning on the On-Screen Keyboard but felt that was an extra step that I shouldn't have to take. Your fix worked!
    Sunday, November 13, 2016 6:43 PM
  • Thank you so much!  I've been trying to fix problems on my boss's profile and it wouldn't let me type but I could when I was me.  You saved my day!
    Tuesday, May 30, 2017 12:31 PM