none
Nvedia Gforce 9400GT is not supported by Windows 7

Question

• I just got an Nvedia Geforce 9400GT 1gb PCI card, and ended up in using Windows 7 in safe mode... because it gives a blue screen...
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:49 PM

All replies

• Ahmer J. Khan,

I assume you mean a PCI-E card. Have you tried installing the newest available drivers from nVidia while the machine is running in safe mode, and then rebooting in normal mode? You may want to double-check your motherboard settings to ensure that there are no hardware conflicts with your video card.
    -Alex
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Alex,

As you had mentioned, I have tried installing my PCE-E card, in safe mode, with thwe latest drivers from nVedia. I am running Winsows 7 RC(64bit) on my machine.
    It is ASUS P5GC-MX-1333 motherboard,
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 Ghz Processor,
    4 GB of RAM (2+2) Kingston,

Regards,
    AHMER J. Khan

I hope that helps...
    The erroe code is this:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA8003C8D390

BCP2: FFFFF880048B0F30

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000002

OS Version: 6_1_7100

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\063009-32947-01.dmp

C:\Users\Ahmer Jamil Khan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-70028-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Monday, June 29, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Hello AHMER,

Have you tried this video card in any other operating system or machine to verify it is not hardware related?
    -Scott
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 12:55 AM
  • Well I do not have anyother machine, to verify this, currently I have sent the Graphics Card back to the manufacturer for checkup.

I will notify on this blog, as soon as I get the results.

AHMER J. KHAN
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:52 PM
  • I just purchased the E-VGA branded - GeForce 9400 GT  and Windows 7 will not boot. Right after the basic windwos splash screen it blue screens everytime.  I cannot even boot into safe mode with the card installed. This is the second identical card I have tried - thought the first one was defective and they both do the same thing, E-VGA has a W7 driver but I am not able to get into Windows to install it. 
    I called EVGA and the tech was not much help - various suggestions such as ensure latest drivers for motherboard are installed - remove existing VGA drivers from safe mode... and then to call back if nothing helps.
    I even tried to install W7 fresh from scratch with the card installed and it crashed loading windows after copying files. I did not try another OS - dont want to go back and since this is the second identical card - did not see the point.
    I plan on taking this card back and trying another card - to bad . The price for this card was good.

My system:
    MSI MOtherboard - model # K9VGM-V, 2.5GB RAM
    AMD Athalon x64
    450w power supply.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 9:04 PM
  • Well, I just installed Win7 RTM 32 bit on a macmini and it uses a 9400GT geoforce video from what I undestand and it hasn't bluescreened at all?
    I would check all your other hardware for errors just in case and most obviously try a different videocard if available.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:20 AM
  • Ahmer,
    Check the BIOS settings for the correct configuration. Some have primary, others PEG to select the PCI-E grahpics card as the primary adapter. refer to the users manual for guidance. If there is on-board graphics available, that must be disabled.
    jowadi,
    Different mobo, but do the same. Confirm that the BIOS is configured correctly.

The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:10 PM
  • I have the same problem with an EVGA brand Nvidia 9400GT

I have an HP 2009m as the primary monitor and a SyncMaster 941BW as the secondary. The card has dual DVI out. I had both running find under Vista 64bit, both monitors DVI to DVI.  Under Windows 7 the secondary DVI port only outputs a VGA signal and that VGA signal is corrupt and results in a strongly blue tinted screen.  I've used a VGA-DVA adapter to get that far.

I've tried all Nvidia drivers for windows 7 / Vista including Beta drivers.  I'm currently running 190.62.  Primary monitor is fine but forget about a secondary monitor. I've tried an old Sony VGA connected LCD monitor and the blue tint is still their. I've tried other cables.  I've tried setting the secondary monitor to be primary. 

The secondary monitor gets a DVI signal until the OS boots and the evil Nvidia drivers load.

I have to conclude that Mr Khan is correct in his first post - the NVIDIA 9400GT is not compatible with Windows 7.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 5:56 PM
  • I have the same problem with an EVGA brand Nvidia 9400GT

I have an HP 2009m as the primary monitor and a SyncMaster 941BW as the secondary. The card has dual DVI out. I had both running find under Vista 64bit, both monitors DVI to DVI.  Under Windows 7 the secondary DVI port only outputs a VGA signal and that VGA signal is corrupt and results in a strongly blue tinted screen.  I've used a VGA-DVA adapter to get that far.

I've tried all Nvidia drivers for windows 7 / Vista including Beta drivers.  I'm currently running 190.62.  Primary monitor is fine but forget about a secondary monitor. I've tried an old Sony VGA connected LCD monitor and the blue tint is still their. I've tried other cables.  I've tried setting the secondary monitor to be primary. 

The secondary monitor gets a DVI signal until the OS boots and the evil Nvidia drivers load.

I have to conclude that Mr Khan is correct in his first post - the NVIDIA 9400GT is not compatible with Windows 7.
    TexasKiwi,
    What type of installation did you perform? Which version of Windows 7?
    The 9400GT is definitely supported by the latest 190.62 driver version. The release notes have no specific issues related to that model. Mr. Khan did not reply, so we have no idea if he got it working or not.
    Have you configured the BIOS settings correctly for the adapter?
    Turn off the computer and disconnect the syncmaster using only the HP 2009m with the DVI connection.
    Boot into safe mode (F8) after post and uninstall any nVidia programs listed.
    Then install the 190.62 drivers.
    Reboot and determine if you have monitor 1 displaying properly and set the resolution for that monitor. Is the monitor identified correctly under devices and printers?
    If the monitor is not correctly identified, install the .inf file from HP here.
    If yes, shutdown and connect the 941bw using the DVI connection.
    Restart. Is the 941bw monitor correctly identified in Devices and Printers?
    If no, install the 941bw .inf from Samsung here

This procedure will ensure the drivers get installed cleanly and the monitors are correctly identified by the OS and the adapter. The display adapter needs the monitor information to generate the proper display. It will also rule out any monitor issues.

What have you now? Dual display joy or a persistent problem?
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Its a persistant problem I'm afraid.  I followed the instructions above. The monitors are correctly identified in "Devices and Printers".  The Windows splash screen does display on boot on the second monitor the 941bw.  Then once Windows 7 64bit Ultimate loads the second monitor goes blank and flashes alternately dvi / vga as it searches in vain for the dvi signal that never comes. There is never a problem with the primary monitor.

The EVGA 9400GT card persists on putting out an analog signal on the second DVI port which it didn't do when I was running Vista 64.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:15 PM
  • TexasKiwi,

EVGA doen't provide a lot of support from the user manual. They do however, recommend the most current driver that you are using.

Check the monitor with the self test. Power off the computer and monitor. Disconnect the DVI cable from the computer only. Power on the monitor. The self-test should display a box and digital. Is it OK?     Power off the monitor.

Switch the cable ends on the Samsung to rule out a pin connection issue or switch cables between the monitors.

Have you switched the monitors to test the second output from the card, making the Samsung the primary?

Confirm the monitor source from the OSD on the Samsung, the settings from Windows>control panel>display and the the settings in nView to confirm all are digital, etc.

I know, I know...it's something with Win 7 not liking the configuration as Vista was ok. I am suggesting ways to find the issue.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 12:59 PM
  • Hi Nano Warp,

I really appreciate your thoughtful suggestions. Your troubleshooting skills are beyond reproach! I've tried swapping the monitors around and going through the whole clean out drivers in safe mode, reinstall drivers dance, but still no dice.

One interesting thing is that on the NVIDIA site the picture of the 9400GT has one DVI out and one VGA out. 
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9400gt_us.html

Now the EVGA 9400GT has two DVI out... so I'm wondering it that has led to confusion somewhere in driver writing land
    http://www.evga.com/products/enlarge.asp?pn=512-P3-N944-LR&I=1

I guess I'll wait for a month or two to see what happens driver-wise.  If I get really fed up with having no second monitor I'll try an ATI card.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:51 AM
  • TexasKiwi,
    Hmmm...eVGA offers the card with both versions-different part numbers. You didn't mention if the card worked correctly in XP or Vista.

I am inclined to think that the card is bad after re-reading your posts. Good cables, good monitors w/.inf.

Does your power supply meet the required amperage (18a) on the 12 volt rail? Check the card specs-power requirements.

Are you on a sli-enabled motherboard using only a single card? turn off sli in the BIOS. 

Register on the eVGA support site, choose email support, and describe the no DVI output signal on the second port problem. Tell them you are using Vista.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:22 PM
  • My problem has not yet been resolved, I even had replaced my Graphics Card with another 9400GT, but the problem presists. My card is different from the ones you people describe... You can look at its image at http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf9/9400gt.htm
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:27 PM
  • We all are using (I suppose) Windows 7 Ultimate Release Candidate, Build 7100.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:28 PM
  • My Power Supply meets the requirements...
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:29 PM
  • Ahmer,
    Nice to hear from you..
    Are you now positive that the video card is ok?

Have you disabled the onboard video in the BIOS?   It does have onboard video-see motherboard features here.

In the advanced tab, chipset, internal graphics mode, select disabled. Save and Exit. Reboot to Windows.

You could also try the chipset driver from ASUS for Vista 64-bit. It may have some specific changes engineered by Asus, that's not included with the Intel version in Win 7. Win 7 will provide video drivers once you get it working and run update.

The other attempt would be to confirm that you have the latest BIOS version and update it if it is not the most recent.

The error code is video related.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Install Windows 7 with another model of video card.
    Run all Windows Updates.
    Turn off the computer and connect GT9400.
    Turn on the computer and wait for Windows to detect the card. Right after, Windows Update will browse on the internet for the card driver and will download about 114MB.

Problem solved!!!!

Have fun!!!!

Note: If there is any card driver from the manufacturer installed remove them all and let Windows do the rest.

Sunday, October 04, 2009 4:08 AM
  • my 9400 video card is only video card i got, got 2 the same... and so i cant install windows 7 with another model of video card... mine does exactly the same as described in this page it is quite annoying

thanks for everyones effort to solve it though ^^

Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Hi tomutictactoe,

Nvidia now offers the 197.45 (WHQL) for the 9400 in both 32 and 64-bit. http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_197.45_whql.html. There is a stable driver available.

I would be inclined to look at the BIOS and motherboard drivers in your case. Use Vista drivers for the motherboard if there are no Win 7 drivers available.

I would start with one card physically installed and the appropriate BIOS settings for that before trying the dual configuration. Or, if your motherboard has basic on-board graphics, use that, get Win 7 running and then install the 9400.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 12:17 PM
  • The microsoft driver, in win7 64, display a blue screen after a fiew time that the sys is running.

Today there are Nvidia drivers 8.17.12.5721 dated 2010/06/07 but it make the same prob: the system don't shout-off or don't start.

I installed, disistalled and reinstalled it but the situation is go moore problematic. I was the corruption of the boot sector.

All this ploblems don't happen in 32 bit system.

I think I will buy a new video card.

Bye

Viky

Friday, June 18, 2010 4:11 PM
  • I would advise an ATI card, there have been so many problems of late with NVIDIA I have lost count.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:17 AM
  • nVidia released new drivers, the 9400 is supported.

32-bit US: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-257.21-whql-driver.html

64-bit US: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-257.21-whql-driver.html

I have installed these new drivers and still it freezes on the Windows splash Screen as "Jowadi" said above, maybe these drivers work for a retail purchased 9400 GS but not for the ones that come bundled in with the PC such as my Medion System.

Arrgh this is so frustrating!
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:05 AM
  • nVidia released new drivers, the 9400 is supported.

32-bit US: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-257.21-whql-driver.html

64-bit US: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-257.21-whql-driver.html

I installed these drivers as well and also get it freezing on the Windows splash screen.   After trying so many things to fix it I think I am going to give up on this NVIDIA product.  DONE WITH IT!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:24 AM