SolutionCenter.msi

Question

• Ok.  Hi everybody.  I have this problem:

"The feature you are trying to use is on CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not

available

Insert the 'SolutionCenter' disk and click OK"

then it says:

"Use Source:

1"

Finally it says:

"An installation package for the produce "SolutionCenter" could not be found.  Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation packaged "SolutionCenter.msi."

I have searched the forums and haven't found a solution yet.  Could you please direct me to the correct forum or if this is the one, please help me?  Thank you!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:26 PM

Answers

• The issue is related to the HP printer software, have a look in Program and Feature and uninstall if it shows there. If you have the CD to the printer then put it in your DVD/CD/player and more then likely it will update the drivers you need. http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Looku...11&submit.y=10

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:52 AM
  • I tried below solution from HP's own Support Forum and resolved the problem.  You may want to give it a try.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I understand that you are getting a message when the computer boots up saying 'SolutionCenter' the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. And it looks for a CD. These types of errors happen because installation of a software application has not completed or a software application is attempting to repair itself because a file is missing or a registry entry was removed.

To resolved the issue, we need to clean-up the SolutionCenter.msi entry using the Windows CleanUp utility. This will prevent the message which looks for the CD everytime when is started.

To download the Windows CleanUp utility, please use the below link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Open the webpage, and then scroll the webpage, click on "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now". Or you may click on the FTP Link as under:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

A Window with 'Run' and 'Save' button will pop.

1.Click on Save button
     2.Select Desktop in the "Save In' drop down list in the Save As screen and click on the 'Save' button and go ahead to download the driver to your computer's Desktop.
     3.After the file is saved to the desktop, go to the computer's desktop and double click on the downloaded file named msicuu2.exe and select RUN.
     4.Follow the instructions on the installer screens to complete the installation.

After the installation is completed, follow the below steps to open Windows CleanUp utility:

1.Click Start
    2.click 'All Programs' (or 'Programs')
    3.Click Windows Installer Clean Up Utility. A dialog box will be displayed that contains a message, a list of installed products, and four buttons.
    4.Select 'SolutionCenter' in the list and click on 'Remove' button to uninstall the entry.
    5. Restart the computer to enable the steps.

• Proposed as answer by PGzaum Thursday, September 03, 2009 12:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:49 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 3:08 AM

All replies

• What is the specific name and model number of your computer?

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:18 PM
  • I am having this problem too. I have a Dell E510 with an HP OfficeJet J4680 that seems to be causing the problem (or the software that came with it)

• Proposed as answer by sri.mphasis Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:27 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:47 PM
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:07 AM
  • I am having the same issue. Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, home-built Asus P5E3 Premium with Intel Yorkfield Quad-core processor.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:23 PM
  • I am having exactly the same issue.  My computer is Sony Vaio VGN-FW17GU and vista come in with computer.  Those I set up with no solution center support have no issue only the one I set up with have this issue show up.

Edit:

I contiue my searchin web look like it is not vista problem, it is HP problem.  I have HP OfficeJet J6480.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1226881430301+28353475&threadId=1251192

Monday, November 17, 2008 12:16 AM
  • The issue is related to the HP printer software, have a look in Program and Feature and uninstall if it shows there. If you have the CD to the printer then put it in your DVD/CD/player and more then likely it will update the drivers you need. http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Looku...11&submit.y=10

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:52 AM
  • Look up on your HP software lately installed.  Good Luck

• Proposed as answer by haptmrs Monday, April 25, 2011 6:13 PM
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:09 AM
  •  gypsyhowl wrote:

Ok.  Hi everybody.  I have this problem:

"The feature you are trying to use is on CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not

available

then it says:

"Use Source:

1"

Finally it says:

"An installation package for the produce "SolutionCenter" could not be found.  Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation packaged "SolutionCenter.msi."

I have searched the forums and haven't found a solution yet.  Could you please direct me to the correct forum or if this is the one, please help me?  Thank you!

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 8:30 PM
  • I tried below solution from HP's own Support Forum and resolved the problem.  You may want to give it a try.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I understand that you are getting a message when the computer boots up saying 'SolutionCenter' the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. And it looks for a CD. These types of errors happen because installation of a software application has not completed or a software application is attempting to repair itself because a file is missing or a registry entry was removed.

To resolved the issue, we need to clean-up the SolutionCenter.msi entry using the Windows CleanUp utility. This will prevent the message which looks for the CD everytime when is started.

To download the Windows CleanUp utility, please use the below link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Open the webpage, and then scroll the webpage, click on "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now". Or you may click on the FTP Link as under:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

1.Click on Save button
     2.Select Desktop in the "Save In' drop down list in the Save As screen and click on the 'Save' button and go ahead to download the driver to your computer's Desktop.
     3.After the file is saved to the desktop, go to the computer's desktop and double click on the downloaded file named msicuu2.exe and select RUN.
     4.Follow the instructions on the installer screens to complete the installation.

After the installation is completed, follow the below steps to open Windows CleanUp utility:

1.Click Start
    3.Click Windows Installer Clean Up Utility. A dialog box will be displayed that contains a message, a list of installed products, and four buttons.
    4.Select 'SolutionCenter' in the list and click on 'Remove' button to uninstall the entry.

• Proposed as answer by PGzaum Thursday, September 03, 2009 12:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:49 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2008 3:08 AM
  • i have p1505 d7160 and h470 and had this solutioncenter.msi problem

i decided to uninstall all hp printers

i uninstalled the h470 and the problem went away

did not get to the other 2

go figure
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Thank you for sharing this information.  It worked great.  I had struggled with this aggrevating problem for a while and was ready to ininstall and throw away my HP J6480 printer.  Thanks again!!!
    Thursday, January 01, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Hi RonCM,

I am not sure whether this is the right place to ask this "question". I had trouble uninstalling Ageia Physx driver (which came with a game) from my notebook, so I tried to use Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility because I was getting some network error to read from an msi file. But when I try to right click msicuu2 application and run it as administrator I got an error "ActiveX component can't create object: Scripting.FileSystemObject", with error code 800A01AD, source Microsoft VBscript runtime error. Please help or suggest where help can be found.

I am running Vista Home Premium with latest SP.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:19 AM
  • Fantastic!  This solved my problem completely and even with my somewhat lack of computer knowledge was very easy to follow!

Much appreciated!!!...
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:49 AM
  • Thanks for info -- it worked like a charm and I would not have tied the error to the HP software.

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by haptmrs Monday, April 25, 2011 6:15 PM
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 10:41 PM
  • I am having the same problem I need help also.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:32 AM
  • Hi rajat5915. I am encontering the same problem -

"But when I try to right click msicuu2 application and run it as administrator I got an error "ActiveX component can't create object: Scripting.FileSystemObject", with error code 800A01AD, source Microsoft VBscript runtime error. Please help or suggest where help can be found."

Did you find a solution?

Nada Nada
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Hi,
     to resolve the issue. Please download the windows Installer utility and then reomove it using the steps provided below.

Please download and install  Windows installer cleanup utility from the link given below.

click Start->All Programs-> click ‘Windows installer cleanup’ to launch it, It shows all the Programs installed on your PC just as ‘Add or Remove Programs Manager  (XP)/Programs and Features (Vista)’.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:26 AM
  • Please click  on the URL given above, it opens a ‘File Download’ Window with options  ‘Run’ or ‘Open’, ‘Save’, and ‘Cancel’.  Please click ‘Save’ button on File Download Window,   choose ‘Desktop’ on ‘Save As’ Window, and click Save.  The file will be saved to Desktop. Please double click on saved file icon: ‘msicuu2.exe’  on Desktop, click ‘Run’,  and follow the onscreen instructions to install it.

Please click Start->All Programs-> click ‘Windows installer cleanup’ to launch it, It shows all the Programs installed on your PC just as ‘Add or Remove Programs Manager  (XP)/Programs and Features (Vista)’.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Thanks Andy:   I didn't have this problem with XP 2003 Home only xp 07 pro.  I also had one tech support say it was a virus. Thanks again for you wisdom
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:27 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!!!!
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:08 AM
  • I tried this and now I can't get any of my office products to work.  I get a message that says it is reconfiguring Office 2007 and then I get another message that says I'm not an authorised user and to run set-up.  What is going on?
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:06 PM
  • what if ou cannot find your installation cd?? then what can one do to fix this issue??
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:42 PM

1.Click on Save button

1.Click Start

This solution my problem !! thanks a lot ! =)
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 12:50 PM
  • Hey, RonCM, I did what you said to do and started the installation BUT I get this message: "Error 1500. Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one." I have no idea what this infernal machine thinks is running. I have re-booted, including cutting the power off, and now I'm stuck with the Error 1500.
    Monday, September 07, 2009 1:54 PM
  • go to the hp folder in the start up documents and find the link that says HP Update and update the the entire hp software. this should resove the solution , but if that doesn't work then you will need to download the following:

Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:26 PM
  • HP has fixed this problem and released a new version 13.0 of "HP Solution Center". By installing the new SolutionCenter, I got rid of the problem that was being discussed in this thread and another problem which occured when I shutdown the system.

The new version can be obtained from http://hp-solution-center.software.informer.com/download/ 

The file name is eSupport_hpcom.130.01.exe (1/1, 44.52M) 

I like the high-contract skin for user interface of the new version.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 7:47 AM
  • Hi!

I have almost the same problem, but instead it says "Status". Anyone has any idea of wh is this happening? Could you please help me?
    Many thanks in advance!

available

Insert the 'Status' disk and click OK"

then it says:

"Use Source:

1"

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Hi Sbs7,

Your Solutions Center installation appears to be totally corrupt. You will be better off uninstalling it, cleanup using the the the Windows CleanUp utility available at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 and reinstalling the latest HP software from http://hp-solution-center.software.informer.com/download/

If this does not solve your problem, I do not know what else will.

Good luck

-kgopal
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:19 PM
  • I have this same problem I tried this however I get another error when trying to install the Windows Installer Cleanup utility. I have Windows vista, when running the setup file, I get a script error: "C\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\StartMsi.vbs" Permission denied
    I am the owner on the Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop, security permissions are set to full control on this folder. Any help is appreciated. thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by Cheo97 Monday, March 15, 2010 8:33 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:48 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:20 PM
  • my frien had the same problem with he's laptop HP pavillion dv9000 this is how I fix it

THE FIX:  ---Plan B----
    1. UNINSTALL The las service pack, how? you can google: how to uninstall or remove sevice pack, type in your operatin system windows XP,Vista, or 7.
    2. DOWNLOAD the laters service pack and install it
    3. RESET your computer

*I did reset the computer two time then it work.

WHY WOULD THIS WORK? 
    cause the file that is missing it will be download and install with the service pack.

**** NOTE, I Did try to download the Windows CleanUp Utility. but for some reson when i click on msicuu2. application and run it as administrator I got an error "ActiveX component can't create object: Scripting.FileSystemObject", with error code 800A01AD, source Microsoft VBscript runtime error. Please help or suggest where help can be found. 
    this is why i went to plan ---B----  :)-- I HOPE THIS HELP... please come back and led as know
    Monday, March 15, 2010 8:58 AM
  • Thanks! Encountered same problem & did what you said.  Kudos to you.  God bless.
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 7:06 AM

wow! This was helpful. Huge thanks!
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 11:03 PM

available

then it says:

"Use Source:

1"

Finally it says:

My Name is Barb b. And what this report about is all what happens to me. I am at a loss and very tired of this always happening, again and again. Help
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Thank you so very much Andy Song - and all the others who have been so helpful.  I put the disk in after reading your 'solution' and presto - it's OK - I think!!!  This problem has been bugging me for months and now I realise that I had 'removed' that part of the HP programmes because I thought I didn't really need it.  This problem had caused my computer to crash several times.

I'm certainly no teckie but all the more reason for HP to be a little more precise with it's messages. Why couldn't it just include its HP sign to let us know what we are looking at? msi was a 'red herring' as I kept trying to find the '#Solutions Center' (wish that was spelt 'centre') within Microsoft...

Thank you again for you valuable help, E. Dowsing

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:22 AM
  • I have this problem as well.  Since most of the solutions mentioned here are no longer available now such as Windows Clean up utility is no longer offered, and the HP site: http://hp-solution-center.software.informer.com/download/ is gone too  , the site mentioned a few conversations above = http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Looku...11&submit.y=10 now gone to 404 ____, , I'm looking for a current one.  I'll repeat the problem:

available

then it says:

"Use Source:

1"

Finally it says:

Does anyone know of a current site or download that will make this go away?  If so, please include all the steps and accurate names as abbreviations get really confusing.  Thanks!!!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Hi Kitchenqod54,

You are right. HP seems to have relocated it to a different place. I have a printer All In One Office Jet 6480 for which I found the drivers and updates for various applications at the following location:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3635378#N1358

If you click on the appropriate BreadCrumps link and select your printer model and the applicable operating system, you could find similar updates that is specific to your product and OS.

You should also download the "HP Officejet Software and Driver Removal Utility" that is available under "Utilities" in the same page and run it before reinstalling the new version just to make sure you do not have any older version files.

Good luck.

Gopal

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:10 PM
  • I had the same problem after updating to Microsoft Office 2010. I installed my new HP printer CD and the message went away.
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Run system configuration and uncheck all hp boxes.   OR When it asks you to install cd, put in your appropriate install cd (xp vista or the windows 7 cd) and it will reinstall the drivers.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:16 PM
  • If people are still getting this error, HP has an update for the HP8500 A909a.  Go under Software and Driver Downloads under Update tab and you should get file eSupport_hpcom_130_011.exe
    Friday, October 01, 2010 12:38 PM
  • My problem occured on 2 separate laptops running Windows XP after permiting both to proceed with Adobe Flash update yesterday.  Each time I now start either laptop I get the Windows Installer popup then "Solution Center" runs "Preparing to Install" then I get the message "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available - Insert 'Solution Center' disk and click OK."

When I inserted my HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 disc and browsed for the file solutioncenter.msi. I found it in the Setup/SolutionCenter folder and allowed the routine to run using D:\setup\solutioncenter\SolutionCenter.msi by clicking OK.  When complete a message box came up indicating " Module C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash9f.ocx failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support professional.

Obviously Abobe Flash Player 10.1 is where I suspect the issue lies and it conflicts with HP Solution Center functionality.

Other ideas?

Friday, November 05, 2010 2:33 PM

available

then it says:

"Use Source:

1"

Finally it says:

could you help
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 10:17 PM
  • could you help
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 10:19 PM

available

then it says:

"Use Source:

1"

Finally it says:

Sunday, November 28, 2010 10:11 AM
  • Found it!  Thank you so much.
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 11:41 AM
  • http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-77737-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2100&product=3795314

this helped me....

Hey BrooklynRose,
    That was a great link. I tried to find that update on my own, but couldn't, so thanks. Unfortunately when I tried to download it, it said I "didn't need these files on for my system" or something like that. I ended up Power Deleting ALL HP related files on my hard drive, including Registry files, through the Revo Power Uninstaller (15 Day Free Trial) http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_uninstall_features.html  and after uninstalling ALL HP files, I went to the HP site and re-installed all the HP drivers, utilities, and updates for my printer.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.htm

lThat did it ! I don't get that pesky

"The feature you are trying to use is on CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available Insert the 'SolutionCenter' disk and click OK"  etc...

message any more, thankfully! I piece mealed this solution together after reading this entire thread.

This solution worked!!

Tom B.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:38 AM
  • http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_query=DesakJet+D4200&submit.x=11&submit.y=10

Enter your model #

Click "Software & Driver Downloads"

Select OS

Click "+" next to Updates

Click "Solution Center Update"

Follow On-Screen Instructions

This worked for me, it says must have previous version for patch to work. Not sure what version I had before.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:46 PM
  • Microsoft no longer has this for download.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_query=DesakJet+D4200&submit.x=11&submit.y=10

Enter your model #

Click "Software & Driver Downloads"

Select OS

Click "+" next to Updates

Click "Solution Center Update"

Follow On-Screen Instructions

This worked for me, it says must have previous version for patch to work. Not sure what version I had before.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:53 PM