none
Win10 LTSC 1809 - MS Edge Browser Supported? RRS feed

• Question

• I built a parent image for our organization. Comes with IE 11. Win10 1809 LTSC.

I understand it does NOT come with the Edge browser.

Management would like to install it. 

My question to you is MS Edge browser supported on Win10 1809 LTSC if it didn't originally come with it?

Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows 10 devices in the Semi-Annual Channel receive twice-yearly feature updates, once in the spring and once in the fall. These updates contain new features, services, and other major changes. Security updates, optimizations, and other minor updates or patches are released every month thereafter.

To deliver on the commitment of no changes to features or functionality, a Windows 10 LTSC release does not contain any of the components of Windows 10 that may change over the life of the release. These components include Microsoft Edge (as a modern browser, it is constantly evolving to support the current modern browser web standards) as well as components/applications regularly updated via the Microsoft Store, such as Camera, Cortana, OneNote, and other modern apps that continue to advance with innovative improvements. 

Internet Explorer is included in Windows 10 LTSC releases as its feature set is not changing, even though it will continue to get security fixes for the life of a Windows 10 LTSC release.

It's not recommended to install Edge in LTSC to affect release policy.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by EckiS Sunday, July 21, 2019 11:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by mootsy Monday, July 22, 2019 1:10 PM
    Friday, July 19, 2019 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows 10 devices in the Semi-Annual Channel receive twice-yearly feature updates, once in the spring and once in the fall. These updates contain new features, services, and other major changes. Security updates, optimizations, and other minor updates or patches are released every month thereafter.

To deliver on the commitment of no changes to features or functionality, a Windows 10 LTSC release does not contain any of the components of Windows 10 that may change over the life of the release. These components include Microsoft Edge (as a modern browser, it is constantly evolving to support the current modern browser web standards) as well as components/applications regularly updated via the Microsoft Store, such as Camera, Cortana, OneNote, and other modern apps that continue to advance with innovative improvements. 

Internet Explorer is included in Windows 10 LTSC releases as its feature set is not changing, even though it will continue to get security fixes for the life of a Windows 10 LTSC release.

It's not recommended to install Edge in LTSC to affect release policy.

Best regards,

Yilia 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by EckiS Sunday, July 21, 2019 11:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by mootsy Monday, July 22, 2019 1:10 PM
    Friday, July 19, 2019 6:17 AM
  • The Windows 10 LTSB/LTSC releases are for OEMs building devices. These releases have limitation on supported features from the main channel that device manufactures really don't need.

IT departments building general purpose computers should be using Windows 10 (Pro / Enterprise) Semi-Annual Channel as Yilia Zhao describes.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Saturday, July 20, 2019 9:13 PM
  • Hi,

Is there anything I can do for you?

If you have any problems or concerns, please feel free to post here. 

Best regards,

Yilia

Monday, July 22, 2019 7:58 AM
  • Will the new Edge (chromium based) be install-able and will updates be supported in Win 10 LTSC? I need to be able to install it as a fallback or primary browser, for non-general use machines when its available in full production, if its available for LTSC. Thank you.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:52 PM
  • Will the new Edge (chromium based) be install-able and will updates be supported in Win 10 LTSC? I need to be able to install it as a fallback or primary browser, for non-general use machines when its available in full production, if its available for LTSC. Thank you.
    I have the same question.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:54 PM
  • With LTSC you should contact your Microsoft distributor for more information. Typically, new features are going through the SAC channel for a few years before they are made available in the LTSC release.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 3:37 AM