none
Windows 7 Explorer crashing when I open a folder containing MPEG-2 files

Question

• I purchased and installed Pinnacle Studio 12 on my PC running Windows 7 RC

When I try and open a folder within Windows Exporer that contains MPEG-2 files it closes Windows Explorer. I have also tried to open these folders with Windows Media Centre, and the same thing happens. Interestingly this does not happen with folders with iPod MPEG 4 files in it.

I cannot say whether this has anything to do with the Pinnacle 12 installation as I did not try and access these files before installing it.

I am not much of a techie and would appreciate any suggestions on how to solve this issue

Monday, August 10, 2009 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

To verify whether this issue is caused by Pinnacle Studio 12, I recommend you perform a clean boot to disable this application and see if the issue occurs.

Clean Boot

==========

1)    Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)    Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)    Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4)    Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

5)    Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue

To move on, based on my experience, Windows Explorer crashes can be related to several factors such as incompatible application, device driver, viruses, memory leak. These factors occurs with codec packs causing Windows Explorer to crash. Here I would like to propose the following suggestions in advance.

1.    Verify the device drivers are updated, especially the video card driver.

2.    Scan the whole disk using security software such as Norton, please note the security software must be updated.

3.    Right click the Toolbar to open Task Manager, check if any abnormal progress is running. If it is the process of an application, temporarily disable this application and see if the issue occurs. Otherwise, if the process is SVHOST.EXE, please follow the steps to find out what service is using most of CPU.

1)    Right click the taskbar, and click Task Manager to open.

2)    In Task Manager, click on the Processes tab, and look for the process that is using abnormal CPU and note its PID (Process ID).

Note: You may need to go to the "View" -> "Select Columns" menu and check PID (Process Identifier) first.

3)    Once you have the PID, please run the following command line from a command prompt:  tasklist /svc

4)    Please check the output item of the related SVCHOST.EXE process (with the recorded PID), and uninstall these services to see if the problem can be taken care of.

4.    Run sfc.exe tool to scan the whole system files and automatically fix corrupted ones.

1)    Click the Start button, and click All programs, then click Accessories.

2)    Right click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator.

3)    Type sfc /scannow, and press 'Enter'.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Dale Qiao

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

To verify whether this issue is caused by Pinnacle Studio 12, I recommend you perform a clean boot to disable this application and see if the issue occurs.

Clean Boot

==========

1)    Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)    Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)    Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4)    Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

5)    Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue

To move on, based on my experience, Windows Explorer crashes can be related to several factors such as incompatible application, device driver, viruses, memory leak. These factors occurs with codec packs causing Windows Explorer to crash. Here I would like to propose the following suggestions in advance.

1.    Verify the device drivers are updated, especially the video card driver.

2.    Scan the whole disk using security software such as Norton, please note the security software must be updated.

3.    Right click the Toolbar to open Task Manager, check if any abnormal progress is running. If it is the process of an application, temporarily disable this application and see if the issue occurs. Otherwise, if the process is SVHOST.EXE, please follow the steps to find out what service is using most of CPU.

1)    Right click the taskbar, and click Task Manager to open.

2)    In Task Manager, click on the Processes tab, and look for the process that is using abnormal CPU and note its PID (Process ID).

Note: You may need to go to the "View" -> "Select Columns" menu and check PID (Process Identifier) first.

3)    Once you have the PID, please run the following command line from a command prompt:  tasklist /svc

4)    Please check the output item of the related SVCHOST.EXE process (with the recorded PID), and uninstall these services to see if the problem can be taken care of.

4.    Run sfc.exe tool to scan the whole system files and automatically fix corrupted ones.

1)    Click the Start button, and click All programs, then click Accessories.

2)    Right click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator.

3)    Type sfc /scannow, and press 'Enter'.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Dale Qiao

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:16 AM
  • I have the same problem (don't have pinnacle), I have adobe premiere and corel videostudio12 installed. I can't imagin that those are the fault.
    When opening a folder with mpg's, win7 tries to scan the whole folder. (anoying). When renaming a file, it tries to scan it again.
    When moving some mpg files to another folder (inside that folder), all my mpg's are moved quickly exept 1. It is 165MB, but it looks like win7  has to " think"  about it first. after 30 second I try to " stop"  te move, and explorer crashes/hangs.
    This file is not other then the rest of the mpg's.
    How can this scanning be turned off? (the fodler is not a "video-folder".
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:02 AM
  • I have had this issue repeatedly 3 times now.  The problem seems to be associated with a Windows 7 update.  Not sure which one though.  After a clean OS install, everything functions fine.  To test, I installed no other applications, simply turned Windows Updates to automatically install all, even recommended updates and BAM!  MPEGs start causing issues.  They won't play correctly as they take way too long to load, even small files.  The status bar / address bar at the top of the explorer bar starts to show a progress as if it's refreshing the window or reading the file, and WMP12 hangs up severely.  I tested this with other video players as well and noted the problem was constant.  The issue seems to be the windows explorer, as you said, trying to read something in the background and pegging out the processors.  As I still haven't found the culprit windows update, I now disable them all just so I don't have this headache again.

Hope this was helpful.  If anyone has any further information on this, PLEASE let me know.  Perhaps some sort of registry editing problem during an update?  Just a thought....

EDIT:  I was able to remove this problem twice by removing recent windows updates.  However, this most recent time, some updates were unable to be removed and I was left without a restore point prior to their installation.  Back to the re-format.... :/  Just a tip for anyone who wants to try and single out the faulty update.  If you do, please post.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:41 AM
  • I have same problem with MPEG-2 files. Every time I open folder that contains MPEG-2 files windows explorer . I get message " Windows explorer has stoped working will restart"

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Well I have the same problem. But this is not related to MPEG2-files, but with AVI- and RMVB-files. At first it works with not problem, but now it seems to shut down every second time I try to move a file(s) from one folder to another. It just restarting windows explorer and the files are not moved.

--------------

I don't know what happened, but somehow the problem does not appear anymore.
    Perhaps and update has solved the issue.
    • Proposed as answer by Quang 1 Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:38 PM
    • Edited by Quang 1 Wednesday, February 03, 2010 6:39 PM
    Monday, December 07, 2009 9:18 PM
  • What's the fault data for the crash from the "View all problem reports" control panel?
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 6:32 AM
  • I have the same problem on vista :-( It's failing on my 64 bit desktop, but the same file doesn't cause issues on my 32 bit laptop.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:02 AM
  • Same problem here. And the checkbox to disable preview/thumbnailing that was in folder options -> view doesn't exist anymore in Windows 7.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:49 PM
  • The first key to understanding why it would be crashing for you is the fault data information I asked for.  If you provide that, it may be possible to figure this out remotely.  Otherwise you'd want to talk to support. =)
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:40 AM
  • Hey Prep... Uh, Zach.  I'm having the same problem.  Win7 RC.  Mpgs crash explorer if selected or displayed (basically if read at all.  WMP crashes when trying to open them too.

Here's an error report from WMP:
    Source
    Windows Media Player

Summary
    Stopped working

Date
    ‎12/‎22/‎2009 1:47 AM

Status
    Report sent

Description
    Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:    BEX
    Application Name:    wmplayer.exe
    Application Version:    12.0.7100.0
    Application Timestamp:    49ee97f5
    Fault Module Name:    StackHash_0a9e
    Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
    Exception Offset:    2de00d1b
    Exception Code:    c0000005
    Exception Data:    00000008
    OS Version:    6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID:    1033
    Additional Information 1:    0a9e
    Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3:    0a9e
    Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID:    562775576

Here's Win Explorer:
    Source
    Windows Explorer

Summary
    Stopped working

Date
    ‎12/‎22/‎2009 1:22 AM

Status
    Report sent

Description
    Faulting Application Path:    C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:    BEX
    Application Name:    explorer.exe
    Application Version:    6.1.7100.0
    Application Timestamp:    49ee918d
    Fault Module Name:    StackHash_0a9e
    Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
    Exception Offset:    00000000
    Exception Data:    00000008
    OS Version:    6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
    Additional Information 1:    0a9e
    Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3:    0a9e
    Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Bucket ID:    547038060

Friday, December 25, 2009 4:29 AM
  • Still no update?
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 2:54 PM
  • I was off doing other things.  Happy New Year, btw.  =)

That looks very specifically like a crash in ffdshow.ax .  Is that on your system?  Is there an update to it available?

Also, Windows 7 RC crashes are much less interesting than crashes in Windows 7 RTM, since RTM fixes up a lot of discovered issues in the RC. It'd be easy to hit known and subsequently fixed issues in the RC build. =)
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Greetings,

I recently started having issues with explorer hanging in Vista64 any time I tried to access my second internal HD (which is my media storage drive, almost exclusively video files).  Initially I thought I had screwed something up in Vista and since I had planned on getting Windows 7 assumed that would fix the issue.

After doing a clean install to Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit) a couple of days ago I encountered the same problem.  When trying to access my second hard drive, it will work momentarily but eventually hangs.  OK I think, my HD must be going south so I disconnected it but to no avail, I am still getting Windows Explorer crash/reboot messages.  This is a clean drive, no extraneous software, no downloads...nothing but the OS, Firefox and adobe flash/acrobat installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is really taking the fun out of having a shiny new OS.

edit for logs:
    Source
    Windows Explorer

Summary
    Stopped responding and was closed

Date
    ‎1/‎3/‎2010 1:43 PM

Status
    Report sent

Description
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:    AppHangB1
    Application Version:    6.1.7600.16404
    Application Timestamp:    4a765771
    Hang Signature:    7757
    Hang Type:    0
    OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Additional Hang Signature 1:    7757cdab894420a521fefac5f98ee398
    Additional Hang Signature 2:    0d1f
    Additional Hang Signature 3:    0d1f8de855ee32057115cdc0a959500e
    Additional Hang Signature 4:    7757
    Additional Hang Signature 5:    7757cdab894420a521fefac5f98ee398
    Additional Hang Signature 6:    0d1f
    Additional Hang Signature 7:    0d1f8de855ee32057115cdc0a959500e

Bucket ID:    687005055

#2:
    Source
    Windows Explorer

Summary
    Stopped responding and was closed

Date
    ‎1/‎3/‎2010 1:44 PM

Status
    Not reported

Description
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:    AppTermFailureEvent

Files that help describe the problem
    explorer.exe.atk.kdmp
    AppCompat.txt
    explorer.exe.xml
    WERInternalMetadata.xml
    memory.hdmp
    minidump.mdmp

#3:
    Source
    Windows Explorer

Summary
    Stopped working

Date
    ‎1/‎4/‎2010 1:07 PM

Status
    Report sent

Description

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
    Application Name:    Explorer.EXE
    Fault Module Name:    ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version:    6.1.7600.16385
    Fault Module Timestamp:    4a5be02b
    Exception Offset:    000000000003202d

Bucket ID:    7128679

#4:
    Source
    Windows Explorer

Summary
    Stopped working

Date
    ‎1/‎4/‎2010 1:10 PM

Status
    Report sent

Description

Problem signature
    Fault Module Name:    StackHash_1ee7
    Exception Code:    c0000374
    Exception Offset:    00000000000c6cd2
    Additional Information 1:    1ee7
    Additional Information 2:    1ee774be875b73c5b31a983b269e6f6b
    Additional Information 3:    5f33
    Additional Information 4:    5f3302689cfb061680ea25a2447fa3ce

Bucket ID:    7118677

#5:
    Source
    Windows Explorer

Summary
    Stopped working

Date
    ‎1/‎4/‎2010 1:53 PM

Status
    Report sent

Description

Problem signature
    Fault Module Name:    StackHash_1df9
    Exception Code:    c0000374
    Exception Offset:    00000000000c6cd2
    Additional Information 1:    1df9
    Additional Information 2:    1df9caa7c41e477e963a5d0502e94b26
    Additional Information 3:    e2ca
    Additional Information 4:    e2ca3f237b548a1d51ccf90735c10519

Bucket ID:    7224408

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help you big brains can provide.

• Edited by Mxy2010 Monday, January 04, 2010 7:46 PM adding error logs
    Monday, January 04, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Mxy2010, those are not crashes related to opening a folder containing MPEG-2 files, are they?

I believe that if you check the responses for those you will be advised to update your computer on Windows Update. That may help here.

But if those crashes are not related to MPEG-2 files, probably it would best to create a new thread so as not to confuse future people trying to make sense of their own potential MPEG-2 problems. :)

Monday, January 04, 2010 10:47 PM
  • Hey Zach,

Yeah this overlaps with the initial inquiry, it hangs when trying to get into folders with video files some of which are MPEG-2's, but granted the folders run the full gambit of video file extensions.  There were no "solutions" found by the automated search related to those crashes which is what has brought me to this thread.

I fully updated the OS after I installed it, so it should be completely up to date. The problem being that my second hard drive is nothing but video files...300 gigs worth.  I am starting to think that windows is trying to recreate the thumbs each time the volume is opened and the MPEG thumbs are what's stalling the drive out. 

I am trying to recreate a crash and post the log specific to the current thread.  Currently the folder I chose to illustrate this has stalled out somewhere around 98% loading and has been sitting there for 10mins and has yet to time out.  A trip to Task Manager shows it as Not Responding.  Here is a screen shot of the stalled MPEGs:

[URL=http://img85.imageshack.us/i/stalledvideofolder.jpg/][IMG]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9020/stalledvideofolder.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It has yet to crash but it will, even as I type here with the explorer window closed out I keep hanging up and when I go to shut down I will have to cut the power as it stalls on shut down as well.

If I need to create a new thread, that is fine but I feel this quite possibly related to the issue at hand.

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 1:07 AM
  • Ah, right, 64bit system. My bad.  That's the problem with looking at only certain pieces of a data set: I get confused.

Your issue appears unrelated to Zero's issue.  It potentially may not be related to media at all.  Posting up the crash DMP file for the crash might lead to more information, but given the data you've supplied so far, this is probably not related to the previous issues discussed here and probably belongs in its own thread. =\

• Proposed as answer by chuxterofdoom Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:55 PM
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:09 AM
  • Ok this worked for me on windows xp sp3 maybe will work for others.

What actually worked for me was this:
    (in regedit)
    Navigate to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg
    click the entry named shellex
    (make a backup, just in case) on the menu, choose file > export. (this creates an undo file that you can put back by double-clicking the undo file)
    Delete the entry named shellex (right-click, delete)
    * problem fixed *

Warning: in general, deleting stuff from the registry (especially if you don't know what you are doing) is a simple & quick way of TOTALLY WRECKING your computer. So, go slow. Deleting stuff from the registry usually makes things worse instead of making things better. However, in this situation, it actually helped without trashing my stuff. Please be careful!!!!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:56 PM
  • This isn't just mpeg-2 files. There are a lot of extensions that causes the crash.

Here is another forum that is related to this issue: "http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpromedia/thread/107b73e1-22ca-485b-80ba-5c13a65ba25e"

I am also having this issue. I am looking into it right now. All I can say is this has nothing to do with Pinnacle.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 3:24 PM
  • If the original poster was having problems just with MPEG2 thumbnails and you're having problems with other media types, you are probably experiencing different issues.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:17 PM

(in regedit)
    (make a backup, just in case) on the menu, choose file > export. (this creates an undo file that you can put back by double-clicking the undo file)
    * problem fixed *

Warning: in general, deleting stuff from the registry (especially if you don't know what you are doing) is a simple & quick way of TOTALLY WRECKING your computer. So, go slow. Deleting stuff from the registry usually makes things worse instead of making things better. However, in this situation, it actually helped without trashing my stuff. Please be careful!!!!

This worked for me, first go.

Thanks

Friday, May 21, 2010 5:08 AM
  • I just tried this out and it worked perfectly. What a great forum.
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:02 PM
  • I tried what Chuxterofdoom suggested and it seemed to help a little bit with my Windows 7 64 configuration as I have a little more time with the windows open before it crashes but it will still crash. I really hope Microsoft gets this fixed. Its quite aggravating!
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:04 AM
  • @greg What's the fault bucket data for your issue as seen in View All Problem Reports?
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:53 PM
  • Hi Greg,

please download this reg file from my SkyDrive:

http://cid-128fc518635be2dc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/MS%20Foren/Registry/WER%5E_Explorer.reg

and make a double click on the file to import it.

When the Windows Explorer crashes, Windows Error Reporting Service [1] creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps . Please upload the file to your public Skydrive [2] folder and post the link here, so that we can take a look at it.

André

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:47 PM
  • I had the same problem, I use Windows 7 64 Bit and every time I opened my Movie folder that had about 156GB of movies of all format types Windows Explorer would crash.

I narrowed it down to the last Codec's I installed and I found it was either FFDshow codec I installed or LK-Lite Codec Pack 3.5.4 (64 bit) When I uninstalled FFDshow the problem still existed then I continued to install "LK-Lite Codec Pack 3.5.4 (64 bit)" it told me I had a registry pointed to FFDshow that was no longer invalid and asked to delete it, I pressed yes and it uninstalled.

Since then the crashes have stopped, I am not sure If I had installed 2 different codec's that were conflicting causing folders with large amounts of Videos or just certain formats to cause the crash or if it was actually the Lite Codec Pack 3.5.4 (64 bit) codec that had FFDshow in it or FFDshow show codec itsself.

Either way once uninstalled I have tested it and the problem is solved so check if you have multi codec packs installed at same time or any one of these together from different codec packs maybe.

Worth a try, I got the idea from this post when someone mentioned "FFDshow.ax was causing the crash in this persons main post instance.

I know its a old post But good luck if anyone else has this problem.

• Proposed as answer by danacon Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:39 PM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:36 PM
  • I have Windows 7 32 bit and fixed the "explorer crashing whle viewing video folders".

I have K-lite codec pack installed so I went to the "K-Lite codec pack" folder > "Codec tweak tool" > "All options", checked the box for "thumbnail settings for windows explorer" > clicked next and unticked all the boxes for thumbnail preview for every file type. Now my folders don't crash when viewing video files as there are no thumbnails to make it crash. Used this method back when the beta of windows 7 was out and worked for me back then too.

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:15 AM
  • @danacon: If you have to do something like that, that implies that you have a corrupt or bogus filter installed.  In that case, posting up the Problem Report data might be interesting and help track down the actual source of the crash. :)
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:43 PM
  • It was not bogus I got the codec right off the main site, When I uninstalled it everything works fine now. It was probably had something to do with my codecs conflicting because I must have installed 2 different pack sets when I re-installed windows 7 on my new SSD. I only download stuff from actual websites. I think I had Win7codec's and klite codec pack installed so I am sure I could have installed either one.

I do not know what you are referring to if you had to do that? If I had to do what uninstall a program? Many times programs, drivers, codecs do not install correctly install or have a conflict with others on the computer that you need to uninstall it and reinstall to fix the conflict, was not a big deal as I said before I may have installed 2 different codec packs as When I do a clean install I have tons of software to re-install and forget I may have installed the same type/program/codec in this case.

Or maybe While I was installing the codecs I was also installing 5 other things at the same time to get it done faster I tend to do that sometimes and that messed something up, shrugs who knows all I know is uninstalling the codec worked for me and I had another codec pack installed anyway...

Friday, July 16, 2010 1:33 AM
  • Nah, I've worked with the people behind that codec pack and confirm that they've screwed up royally in the past and caused millions to tens of millions of user crashes.  Getting software with bugs off of the "main site" is still getting software with bugs. :)

Both KLite and Win7 repackage other's work.  This has proven to be problematic when they install bad software, as each has most definitely done and can be confirmed with their respective authors if you doubt my expertise. :)

So yeah, again: sounds like they installed a bogus codec.  They have most definitely done it before.

Friday, July 16, 2010 1:38 AM
  • Oh yeah I thought you ment I downloaded the codec somewhere else and a bogus codec filter (as in virus as a replacement or something), I didn't think you meant a bug lol miss read or miss communication ...

Yeah I totally agree with you that's why I uninstalled it as the most common cause, if that did not work I would have went another way but it worked and everything is working great now again and has been since..

Friday, July 16, 2010 1:43 AM
  • Thats what I think it was also a bogus codec in the package or the software added. But I always do a custom install and root out any extra software that is being installed and if it still makes you install that software I will get a different package or if I know what it is install it and once main program is installed go in and uninstall the program they installed with it, there "Money making extra software" lol...
    Friday, July 16, 2010 1:47 AM
  • There are "mainstream" codecs, both commercial and noncommercial, which have some serious issues.  If you provide the View Problem History data, I can potentially pinpoint what might've gone on.

This is generally why I have strongly advised steering clear of codec packs.  Even beyond their dubious commercial status, to put it politely, they've done serious and immense damage to user's systems.

Friday, July 16, 2010 2:21 AM
  • I dont have the info as this happened quite a while ago. I totally understand what you mean. U only use them because I like to have all codecs to watch any format of movie  or music along with encoding my movies and the like and codec packs are the only thing I have found to have a all in one type easyly done. When I install them its once and at the very first of a new format everything is backed up before I start installing programs and the like incase a siiue like this pops up and I dont wanna mess around wondering what did it. All my main data is backed up on my other hard-drives, and I do a clean install every 6 months or so due to installing and uninstalling so many programs testing them out...If they ever did do anything to my system I would just reformat or go to the backup. Its not like it can harm any of my hardware before I notice all my monitoring utilities of my hardware going wacky. lol

Thank you for all the help though. This was not my original post I just posted the problem I had and how I fixed it for anybody else that may have the same issue and tried other things as a  first try fix or even last try fix to the problem.

Have a great day Zachd

Thanks again

Danacon

Friday, July 16, 2010 2:31 AM
  • My situation is a little different.

I am able to click on Start. But beyond that, any activity on the Start menu causes explorer to crash.  Anything that you may suggest to do that involves clicking the Start button, will fail! Explorer restarts itself right after that. Cannot go to Start > Run or anything else.

I use this computer for data storage only! I rarely even log in. It is set to receive updates automatically. Any idea?!

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Your issue sounds totally unrelated and sounds like it belongs in a different thread.  You can get to "Run" from Task Manager as well.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:28 AM
  • you should create a explorer dump (I wrote how to do it in this topic) and share the dmp.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:27 PM
  • I had the same issue on Win7 64 when browsing directories with misc. different types of vids - explorer kept crashhing with the ffdshow.ax error.  I was able to resolve it by removing the K-Lite Codec packs I had installed (older versions 64bit and 32bit).  I then installed the latest K-Lite 32 bit version (Recommended by them even on 64bit OS) and now all is working fine - no more crashing.
    • Proposed as answer by indianvisa Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:39 AM
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:55 AM
  • superswade is right its klite codec pack the movement i removed it every thing was back to normal but i dont recommend installing the latest one mine is the latest version but the problem continued i never faced a problem with the older versions

and besides vlc is enough

and why doesnt windows provide codecs by default

remove those codec packs see for yourselves

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:43 AM
  • format the c drive thats enough the data will be safe in other drives but everything from c drive(os) will be lost which includes my documents downloads and my music and pictures and videos else browse and move those important files to another drive

i dont like restore points (had a bitter experience with those)

• Edited by indianvisa Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:49 AM grammatical mistake
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:47 AM
  • I know this is an older thread, but this thread just solved a problem that has been haunting me for quite some time. 

I have Win 7 64 Pro and explorer would crash whenever I opened a folder with an MPEG-2 made from a Blu-Ray  that I backed up myself, which tend to be very large, 28 gigs+. 

Uninstalling some 3rd party codecs solved this issue.  

I'm bumping this thread just in case there's someone out there with the same problem.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:26 AM
  • This worked for me. In WE go to Organize>Folder and Search Options. Under each tab select "Restore Defaults"
    Then go back to the View tab, select the "Reset Folders" button  and then hit the "Apply to Folders" button.
    Hit Apply
    Then OK.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 12:43 AM

(in regedit)
    * problem fixed *

This worked for me but with the .mkv shellex being removed. I had to remove the .avi .mpeg and .mkv
    Monday, January 23, 2012 7:52 PM