none
Converting Windows 7 from IDE to Raid 1

Question

• I want to change my Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit (upgrade from Vista ultimate) from IDE to Raid 1.
    To do this I did a diskimage of my running Windows 7 to a USB hard drive.
    Built a repair disk on IDE drive.
    I then set the bios to raid, installed raid drives (same size as original), built a Vista system,
    upgraded to Windows 7, got it up and running with all updates.
    Then build driver disk from Intel for the ICH9R chipset.
    Built a repair disk on Raid 1 running system, saved a diskimage just in case.
    Started the disk repair on the running Windows 7 system.
    I am trying to install the IDE system on top of the Raid 1 system.
    Put in the driver disk in when asked for, selected the ICH9R Raid driver
    System worked a while and said driver not correct.
    I think this is the correct driver.
    What did I do wrong, or not do to update this system to all of my old files and settings?
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:41 PM

All replies

• When I search for "IDE to raid 1" on your search windows I cannot
    find anything. Am I doing something wrong?
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:15 PM
  • Have you checked your BIOS settings?
    JS
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 7:05 PM
  • If the present system is running Windows 7 under raid 1 properly, which setting would be  incorrect?
    I want to put the old system onto the raid volume, and keep the raid volume.

Saturday, November 28, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Are you certain you are using the ICH9R and not a Jmicron or a Gigabyte RAID chip, which usually have a unique color to the two SATA/IDE/RAID ports on the motherboard.
    JS
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:48 PM
  • I have a ASUS Rampage Formula motherboard, it says I have the X48/ICH9R chipset.
    I set it to IDE to build the Win 7 running IDE that I want to restore
    I am not running Win 7 with Raid 1, and is I CHECKED Raid in the bios.
    I have two 650 gb WD disks.
    Is there a procedure somewhere to convert a running system to Raid without
    having to reinstall all the software?
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:01 PM
  • That article is about software raid. I am using hardware raid. Thanks though
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 12:54 AM
  • Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:36 AM
  • From this link: 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251773-32-raid-boot

howardp6 09-14-2009 at 04:16:20 PM

Best answer
    "You could have setup RAID 1, after installing the OS, but you have to do it correctly. You should have set up the RAID volume , while in Intel Matrix Manager. not in the BIOS otherwise you will wipe out all the data on both drives. If you set it up in the BIOS you will reinstall your OS at this point"

NOTE:  A PDF of the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager User's Manual is available for download at the link. It explains using the Matrix Manager for working with RAID arrays

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/cs-020670.htm

Signature: Vista Ultimate (64-bit) Ver. 6.0.6_SP1_Intel 2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20 GHz_2 GB Ram_Norton (NIS)_IE8_HDD x2
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 2:51 AM
  • I have Windows 7 running fine on Raid 1, I just cannot put the system image I saved back on.
    This means I have to spend a week installing all the programs I was running.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 4:56 AM
  • Delete the Raid 1, restore your image, then use 'Intel Matrix Manager' running from within Windows 7 to set up your Raid 1.
    You should be able to restore your image onto one disk even if you have the controller set to Raid. Just don't have an Raid array set up first. Do it after you have Windows running.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 11:45 AM
  • Thanks Proton2, that is the kind of answer I was searching for.
    I am trying to do as you said, but I get the message "your machine does not meet the minimum requirements to install this software" when I try to install Intel Matrix Manager.
    I have the latest one right from Intel.
    I am sure this is incorrect, because I have a 650gb disk, 4gb memory, running a quad.
    Until I get over this I am at a standstill.
    I tried to install it in compatibility mode, XP mode, and run as administrator, still no luck.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Hey Proton2, you there?
    I have tried everything to get a raid up on the running Windows 7.
    I cannot set the bios to Raid or AHCI without wiping out the present system disk.
    If I try to install the Raid matrix program without either set it says my system
    does not meet minimum configuration, and will not install.
    What is your secret to get it installed in the bios.
    I do not want to use software raid if I can help it.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Just out of curiosity is there a specific reason why you need RAID?
    JS
    Friday, December 04, 2009 2:41 PM
  • If the RAID 1 you now have set up is operating properly, leave it alone!

Your only problem now is how to restore the file(s) you want to the RAID from the disk image of the previous system, You do not actually want to put the entire system on. That would cause problems since there is already a running system on the RAID vilume. So, how you now preceed depends on what kind of image you created and what files you want restored. If you want programs restored, you cannot. They must be reinstalled unser the present OS.

Alternately, you can delete the present system from the RAID (and by implication, all the programs now installed under that system together with any data, &c - so do back that data up) and restore the old system in its entirety - if, indeed, you have a full system image.

So, one must know how you created the original disk image and with what program. The restoration will depend on the image type and what you want to restore.

Tom
    Friday, December 04, 2009 3:59 PM