none
Windows-based virtual guest machines hang upon Login attempt RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows 10-based virtual guest machines hang whenever I attempt to login, let it be from a saved state, window closed, or reset. Everything boots fast up until the Windows login attempt.

Sometime it finally opens, other times not, and still other times, it freezes my host mouse and video for a period of time. I do not have these issues with Linux-based VM or my HASSIO VM. May I note, once the Windows sessions are open, they remain active; I can close the VM window without issues. It's only upon attempting to re-enter the session when it hangs.

I have read numerous support threads and articles, and have yet to find anything that solves my problem. This has occurred in various virtual network setups, i.e. External, Internal, Default switches.

Guests:
    Windows 10-based VM's are both Home x64
    Using built-in security
    Both running separate programs
    Each have 20+ GB of free disk space

Host:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1903
    32GB RAM
    OS M2-connected SSD
    VM's are stored on a separate SATA-connected SSD

Here's a few solutions I've tried...

Disabling Dynamic Memory
    Changed virtual switches
    Automatic guest OS Login
    Disabling peripheral devices, i.e. DVD drive
    Changing local/MS Account User
    Moving VM to a different disk
    Disconnected network adapter
    Disabled host security

• Edited by msdnScott Thursday, September 26, 2019 4:52 PM
    Saturday, September 21, 2019 1:24 AM

All replies

• are you logging in into the VM with a local account,
    or a Microsoft account? Can you try to switch to an other login type?
    Saturday, September 21, 2019 10:42 AM
  • are you logging in into the VM with a local account,
    or a Microsoft account? Can you try to switch to an other login type?
    Thanks; that had no positive effect. I tried rolling over to both several times. Funny thing, the first time I re-opened my VM to test this, it logged in right away, but has frozen every time since. This is confusing.
    Saturday, September 21, 2019 2:14 PM
  •   It is hard to imagine that this has anything to do with the fact that the OS running in a vm. I cannot think of any hardware aspect which could affect machine login. I would treat it like any other login problem.

Bill

Monday, September 23, 2019 7:18 AM
  • Hi ,

When the issue happens, open event viewer and check the path Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V-VMMS\Admin, are there any related errors?

Run sfc /scannow on both host and guests to check if there are any corruption on system files.

Here is an article talking about advanced troubleshooting for Windows-based computer freeze issues, you might have a look:

Advanced troubleshooting for Windows-based computer freeze issues

Please understand, to solidly troubleshoot the freeze issue, we generally need to debug the memory dump files. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. We can only provide some general suggestions here. 

If the issue still occurs, a support call to our product service team is needed for the debugging service. We'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, September 23, 2019 7:58 AM
  • Hi ,

When the issue happens, open event viewer and check the path Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V-VMMS\Admin, are there any related errors?

Run sfc /scannow on both host and guests to check if there are any corruption on system files.

Here is an article talking about advanced troubleshooting for Windows-based computer freeze issues, you might have a look:

Advanced troubleshooting for Windows-based computer freeze issues

Event Viewer...no errors reported.

SFC /scannow...no errors.

I did execute a memory dump and will look reviewing it.

Monday, September 23, 2019 7:39 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your updating.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 1:14 AM
  •   It is hard to imagine that this has anything to do with the fact that the OS running in a vm. I cannot think of any hardware aspect which could affect machine login. I would treat it like any other login problem.

I have created two new VM with new Windows 10-based virtual disks; one as a Gen1, the other as a Gen2, no installation of programs, etc. Same result. I also tested this by moving a VM to a different disk. Same result. First login loads right away; any restoring of a closed but active client at login freezes.

Something else I notice is that a) Host Vnmem process cpu spikes high and my host cpu temp really climbs. However, there's no 'Event' occurring during this time period and no errors reported.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 4:14 AM
  • Hi ,

>>Something else I notice is that a) Host Vnmem process cpu spikes high and my host cpu temp really climbs. 

You could use process explorer to see which file/process is using the excessive CPU usage.

Here is a thread talking about how to troubleshoot High CPU usage, you might have a look:

Troubleshoot High CPU usage by the “System” process

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Candy

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:32 AM
  • You could use process explorer to see which file/process is using the excessive CPU usage.   

I actually indicated which file...Vnmem.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:35 PM
  • Hi ,

Did you mean VMMEN? If yes, the vmmem process is a virtual process that the system synthesizes to represent the memory and CPU resources consumed by your virtual machines.

In other words, if you see vmmem consuming a lot of memory and CPU resources, then that means your virtual machines are consuming a lot of memory and CPU resources.

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:31 AM
  • Hi ,

Did you mean VMMEN? If yes, the vmmem process is a virtual process that the system synthesizes to represent the memory and CPU resources consumed by your virtual machines.

In other words, if you see vmmem consuming a lot of memory and CPU resources, then that means your virtual machines are consuming a lot of memory and CPU resources.

Yes, I was referring to vmmem. Did you really copy & paste from an MS article?

At the moment of login, why might my VM be consuming so much host resources?

Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:34 PM
  • Another interesting tidbit I discovered...If a Windows-based client freezes enough at login, it will force all other Windows-based clients to reset themselves, even if already logged into a Windows session. That said, the HASSIO-based and UBUNTU-based clients are untouched.

I can RDP into any Windows-based client without issue.

• Edited by msdnScott Thursday, September 26, 2019 4:59 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 3:47 PM
  • Hi ,

I am sorry that this issue still hasn't been resolved.

Please understand, to troubleshoot this kind of hang issue, we really need to debug the dump file. As debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum , I would suggest you open a case with Microsoft.

It is also appreciated that the other members in our forum can share their experience with us about this scenario.

Best Regards,
    Candy

Friday, September 27, 2019 1:32 AM