none
Desktop freeze ups lately, can't left or right click on icons or desktop area

Question

• I'm suddenly having an issue that started maybe 1-2 weeks ago..not exactly sure when.  My desktop often freezes up and I can't left or right click on any of my desktop icons, or right click in the desktop area either.  A restart fixes it.  I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.  Anyone else experiencing this issue, or any suggestions on how to fix?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, BFG Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB DDR3, 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 16MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watt PSU, Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Widescreen LCD display.

Friday, June 11, 2010 5:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

System restore can be under consideration to fix such issues at first place.

From the addition information about the online games, I would suspect if the system was infected with virus or ceratin third party IE add-ons. It is suggested to run your antivirus software to perform a full system scan.

After that, you can try resetting IE settings from Tools-> Internet Options->under advanced tab, click Reset....

Magon Liu - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:09 AM

All replies

• not sure, may be some 3rd party software (msconfig can help to locate startup programs) causing issue, logoff instead of restart would save you time and kiiling explorer.exe and starting it again from the task manager can be small tricks untill you find solution
    Friday, June 11, 2010 8:53 PM
  • not sure, may be some 3rd party software (msconfig can help to locate startup programs) causing issue, logoff instead of restart would save you time and kiiling explorer.exe and starting it again from the task manager can be small tricks untill you find solution

I don't have any new startup items in msconfig from what I've already had in there for some time before the problem began.  Will try logoff rather than restart if that's quicker and it still temporarly fixes the problem.
    _________________________________________________________ Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, BFG Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB DDR3, 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 16MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watt PSU, Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Widescreen LCD display.
    Friday, June 11, 2010 11:33 PM
  • Also,,,some additional info...seems to happen when my kids get on the webkinz website and play games on there....flash related?  They've been playing on webkinz for the last couple of years and it never affected the computer this way, so must be something that recently changed either on the webkinz site or with my pc.
    Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, BFG Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB DDR3, 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 16MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watt PSU, Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Widescreen LCD display.
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Hi,

From the addition information about the online games, I would suspect if the system was infected with virus or ceratin third party IE add-ons. It is suggested to run your antivirus software to perform a full system scan.

After that, you can try resetting IE settings from Tools-> Internet Options->under advanced tab, click Reset....

Magon Liu - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

Magon Liu - MSFT

this works for me!!! thanks... :)

btw ive scanned my comp, there's no virus in it. 

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:58 PM
  • I'm having the same problem (can't open anything on desktop).
    Running task manager show multiple iterations of Iexplorer.exe running, so I "End process tree" on all of them, then suddenly the Icons are again accessible.
    My guess is I have recently added a active-X plugin into IE recently...  I haven't tried to disable them, but I think it's worth a shot...  Restoring previous system-restores can disabling recently installed applications, so this would be my last resort... 
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 4:39 AM