none
Bootmgr is missing RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows 7 system was working OK with the exception of the mouse often freezing, requiring a reboot.  In going through the process of determining what was causing that, I decided to update the Bios of my 3 year old ASUS P8P67 LE motherboard which had never been updated.  That was a big mistake.  Upon completion of the bios upgrade, I lost the ability to boot up, getting the "Bootmgr is missing" error.  My boot drive is configured as a RAID 1 array and I was later told by ASUS that a bios upgrade often in causes what happened to me.  My first thought was to revert back to my original BIOS.  Unfortunately, ASUS does not permit a complete reversion to an earlier bios so far back.  I was later told by ASUS that this would not have fixed my problem as the bootmanager code gets trashed during the reboot after the bios upgrade because the update causes the bios settings to go from 'RAID' to 'AHCI".  

I tried every suggested remedy I could find and nothing has worked.  I could not do a system repair, nor could I restore an image I made without overwriting the RAID array, which I could only do by deleting the data on the RAID array, which I was unwilling to do without knowing if it would fail and I would be left with no data to recover.  I just want a way to add the bootmgr back in and be able to boot off of the RAID array.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

first off all make sure the bios is again configured for RAID and has the raidcontroller configured as bootdevice. Then bootup using some alternate OS  (Windows PE or a linux live cd) containing the needed drivers to access the raidcontroller. That way you can verify the volume on the disks is still fine and even  backup some files if needed.

Then boot from Windows media, select 'repair your computer'. Your OS will probably not be found, click 'load drivers' and insert a disk containign teh drivers for your RAID controller.

You should be able to repair the issue by selecting 'startup repair'.

As last resort you could check with the mainborad or raidcontroller manufacturer for support in volume recovery. Some vendors offer tools to get data of damaged volumes.

I hope now you know why RAID is no replacement for a backup! having a full backup would just require you to make a new raid volume and restore the backup.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

Windows error message "Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2622803

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

first off all make sure the bios is again configured for RAID and has the raidcontroller configured as bootdevice. Then bootup using some alternate OS  (Windows PE or a linux live cd) containing the needed drivers to access the raidcontroller. That way you can verify the volume on the disks is still fine and even  backup some files if needed.

Then boot from Windows media, select 'repair your computer'. Your OS will probably not be found, click 'load drivers' and insert a disk containign teh drivers for your RAID controller.

You should be able to repair the issue by selecting 'startup repair'.

As last resort you could check with the mainborad or raidcontroller manufacturer for support in volume recovery. Some vendors offer tools to get data of damaged volumes.

I hope now you know why RAID is no replacement for a backup! having a full backup would just require you to make a new raid volume and restore the backup.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

Windows error message "Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2622803

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:32 AM