none
Problem with COM (RS232) por on Non Administrator Users RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I'm having a problem with a computer that connects to a legacy machine through the RS232 interface. The thing is that I got everything working with the domain administrator account, but when I switch to a standard user, the port receives data from the machine, but is not able to send data to the machine.

Just as extra info, we have a external device restriction policy enforced, allowing reads but not writes.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks!

Friday, September 27, 2019 2:57 PM

Answers

All replies

•  Just as extra info, we have a external device restriction policy enforced, allowing reads but not writes.

It is an answer on your questions. Test on client with disabled policy.
    Friday, September 27, 2019 3:40 PM
  • I have tried and it worked

The question now is how do I get to enable de COM RS232 port but keep the other mass media disabled.

Monday, September 30, 2019 1:02 PM
  • Hi, 

According to your description, I recommend to ask for help from Visual C# support. They should have more resource about COM RS232.

Visual C# support:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=csharpgeneral

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 8:51 AM
  • After a more thorough research, I have come to the conclusion that the problem is that the port seems to work only with an elevated execution. If I log in with the restricted user, but run the program as an administrator, the port works perfectly. The problem is, I cannot provide my domain administrator password to the users of this PC.

Is there any workaround you may think of?

Regards.

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 5:43 PM
  • Hi,

"If I log in with the restricted user, but run the program as an administrator, the port works perfectly"

I think we might try to Create a Shortcut That Lets a Standard User Run An Application as Administrator.

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Luciano_M Friday, October 4, 2019 12:02 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 6:42 AM