none
Error 0xc000000f

Question

•  

Ok, heres the problem.... I bought a PC preloaded with Vista and I am now getting this error 0xc000000f and i cannot boot up. The recovery disks i made for this wont load to run recovery. The disks are fine, my PC begins loading files and then the screen goes black.

If i hit F11 (or F12 whichever) for system recovery nothing happens. I cant get into safe mode either. Boot disks are useless.

What am i to do?

Saturday, October 27, 2007 2:40 AM

Answers

•  

Hi shanevautour,

Thank you for the reply.

I am sorry to hear that you reinstalled XP.

I understand that many games are incompatible with Vista.

Let me explain something on the Vista compatibility issue.

Like the beginning of the release of XP, as some third-party manufacturers have not developed Vista-based products, some programs or devices may not work properly on Vista. This affects the performance of Vista and let people feel somewhat disappointed on it. In any cases, Vista is the best operating system compared with any other previous systems as it contains hundreds of new and reworked features. I believe that with third-party manufacturers releasing or upgrading their Vista compatible drivers and programs, the performance of Vista will become better, and it will give you a pleasant experience.

For more information about Vista, please refer to the following sites:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/default.mspx 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/default.aspx 

As for now, if it affects your normal use of the system, you can temporarily use XP. However, it is always recommended to use newer Windows system as generally it contains more features and improvements on stability and security.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Friday, November 02, 2007 9:04 AM

All replies

•  

Hi shanevautour,

Thank you for your post.

Before going any further, please help to confirm the following three points:

1. Does any other error message appear when starting the computer?

2. Did the computer start properly before?

3. Have any changes been made on the computer recently, such as an installation or upgrade?

The issue can be caused by many factors, such as incorrect BCD entries and incompatible hardware or software.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

===============================================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Can the computer be started now?

If the issue persists, I would like to confirm if System Restore was enabled before.

If so, we can try to restore the system to a state when your computer worked properly in WinRE.

Method 2: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

=======================================================================

1. Instert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Note: The above steps are for Retail Windows Vista. As you may use an OEM copy of Windows Vista. The steps to enter WinRE can be a little different. You can boot from the OEM Vista disk, and it will automatically launch the Recovery Environment.

What’s the result?

Hope this helps.

Beast regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, October 29, 2007 8:12 AM
  • It was working fine until i did the windows updates, suddenly i couldnt use my browsers to load alot of different websites. So.... i uninstalled them, thats when this business started. I didnt get install disks when i bought the system, i dont belive i had system restore enabled (though i find that hard to belive because i'm sure i'd have set that up first thing when i got it home)...

Doesnt matter now though, my PC works perfectly because i took Vista off altogether and loaded it with XP instead. After 4 days of trying everything i was capable of with the resources i had available, i figured it was time to shelf Vista forever as a failed experiment in operating systems. I find the requirements to run it too high to begin with and many of the games i play on my system arent compatible with Vista yet (or maybe never).
    It looks pretty, but I dont find it very practical for my purposes.

Thanks anyway though, I appreciate you trying to help me out.
    Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:08 PM
  •  

Hi shanevautour,

Thank you for the reply.

I am sorry to hear that you reinstalled XP.

I understand that many games are incompatible with Vista.

Let me explain something on the Vista compatibility issue.

Like the beginning of the release of XP, as some third-party manufacturers have not developed Vista-based products, some programs or devices may not work properly on Vista. This affects the performance of Vista and let people feel somewhat disappointed on it. In any cases, Vista is the best operating system compared with any other previous systems as it contains hundreds of new and reworked features. I believe that with third-party manufacturers releasing or upgrading their Vista compatible drivers and programs, the performance of Vista will become better, and it will give you a pleasant experience.

For more information about Vista, please refer to the following sites:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/default.mspx 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/default.aspx 

As for now, if it affects your normal use of the system, you can temporarily use XP. However, it is always recommended to use newer Windows system as generally it contains more features and improvements on stability and security.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Friday, November 02, 2007 9:04 AM
  • Dear Tim

I need your help.

I have just flown back to Australia with my new Dell M1330 Laptop and I left the reinstallation disc back in the middle east where i live. The computer is failing to boot up ...status reads on the screen reads as 0xc000000f ...Tech guys at work tried to navigate me through f2 ..etc but no luck...do i need that disc or is there something else I can do?

Vista home premium..

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:54 AM
  • Hi, i have the same problem that u have with same computer and i haven't done anything or changed anything but comes same error. I'ved tried to enter but can't do a thing and i have the disk that comes with the computer and nothing can be done. Want to save pics too from trips and lots of stuff and don't know how to save it! pls help if u found the way to fix the problem?

thanks Luisa

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 8:38 PM
  • 0xc000000f was ecountered during the repeated system restarts for Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic to Vista Home Premium via Windows Anytime Upgrade.

The specific file affected was: C:\Windows\System32\winload.exe

1.) During Update processes, do NOT remove the Windows Anytime Upgrade CD-ROM.

Specifically, if you have not been provided a Windows Vista Home Basic Installation CD-ROM; The PC can be restarted after assigning an alternative boot device.  Assigning an alternative boot device can be done either through an OEM-configured "hot-button" on your PC; or by entering your BIOS routine, sometimes [F2], [F11[, [F12]; dependent on Manufacturer.

In the case of Error 0xc000000f, using the Windows Anytime Upgrade CD [name your CD-ROM as the alternative boot device] will suffice in order for Windows Vista to re-initialize the Setup routine; thus re-installing the file in question: i.e.: [C:]\Windows\System32\winload.exe

This error was encountered after a scenario wherein the Upgrade finalized; however, the system continued to download update files, Windows Automatic Updates was enabled on the system.  Windows Vista requested a restart to finalize the automatic updates.

As I write this, the PC is restarted, and is displaying the "Configuring updates..." Splashscreen

If you are not in possession of a Windows Vista Installation or Windows Anytime Upgrade CD-ROM; I would suggest the creation of an emergency boot CD-ROM for your PC, prior to the installation of Windows Anytime Upgrade; or any substantial change to your Operating System.

In my opinion, this includes Windows Automatic Updates; until you have appropriate Media to initialize your Setup routine for Windows Vista.

We are now observing the "Welcome" Screen, and the OS is up and running.

It is again Downloading and installing  updates.

Review of last known installed Automatic updates reveals that the last round of Automatic updates [Windows Security Updates specifically] had failed and this likely resulted in Error 0xc000000f; and the subsequent corruption of the C:\Windows\System32\winload.exe FILE.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 10:26 PM
  • Hi, I'm having a similar problem. I just picked up a notebook with Vista pre installed. I had to run the recovery disc and now I have the notice telling me windows failed to start.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

It's asking me to insert the Windows Installation disc but I never have had it. What can I do?

Thanks!
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:32 PM
  • Seems like that I am having the same problem and I did as the person above mentioned.. .I just installed XP to a formatted partition and then I decided I wanted to reinstall Vista x64 as a dual running OS... So when I tried to install... it failed miserably giving me the same system error as mentioned previously.   I have tried several times to re-attempt to install Vista.. and still no luck... I have even formatted the partition in which I want to install Vista to.. I have ran check disk and opted to fix any errors on the disk... I am brain boggled as well on this issue... If anyone can please direct me to a way to fix this it would greatly appreciated!

Scott

Monday, September 01, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Dear Mr. Quan,

I have the same problem, my Packard Bell notebook saying \Boot\BCD status 0xc000000f. I downloaded the installation disk from the bottom of this forum to see if it will restart using the cd, but unfortunately, even after changing the settings for the computer to boot from the cd first, it doesn't do that and the problem stays.
    What is weird however, the first time I looked into this problem, I pressed F11 during the startupscreen, selected something I can't remember and now everytime I press F11 during the Packard Bell startup screen, window's seems to open as if there was no problem. Somehow it seems that I manually boot the computer by pressing the button, but I would like it to run naturally.
    I also tried to use the Packard Bell recovery disk which I made when I first purchased the Notebook, but the only option that leaves me is a complete re-start as if the notebook was just purchased which would leave me losing all my stuff and re-installing and rebuying all my software.

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards,

L. van Schijndel
    Monday, December 29, 2008 8:43 PM
  • Hi,

If possible try going to advance boot options using F8 key. In advance boot options screen select "Repair my computer" and select start up & repair.

You can also perform startup and repair using the windows vista disc which you have receivd along with the system from dell.

Regards
    Fatha

fatha
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:27 AM
  • I am having the same issue as described above, but I have no installation disc available.  I have had my laptop for about 2 years and Vista was pre-loaded on it.  Over time, I misplaced or disposed of the Disc.

Jaime
    Monday, June 15, 2009 9:44 PM