none
Cannot install Adaptec AVA 2902 (AIC 7856 chip) SCSI card RRS feed

• Question

• There are no Vista or Win 7 drivers for a Nikon Coolscan III which works fine in Win XP32.  It utilizes an Adaptec AVA 2902E SCSI PCI controller card which installs fine in both Win 7 and Win XP32.  There is a ASPI installation routine from Adaptec which installs drivers in Win XP32, but I am unable to install in Virtual XP32.  The installation routine in Add Harware Wizard is looking for an inf file.  
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Did you try browsing for the location of the inf file? If you can't find it, you could try copying it from Windows XP or Windows 7 on a physical machine.

Monday, June 29, 2009 3:02 AM
  • There is a separate driver from Adaptec for all Win operating systems except XP which is part of the XP installation.  If I uninstall the card in physical Win XP32, it recognizes it immediately and reinstalls it automatically. VWin XP32 does not recognize the card at all.  The Adaptec SCSI options in the Add Hardware Wizard is for another card  While it will install a driver it is not for the card has a yellow exclamation and does not work (AIC 6260).  I have tried to various options to update the driver or uninstall and reinstall and it still does not recognize the 2902 card.  I have tried copying the driver which works in XP, (AIC78XX.SYS) into the same directory in VXP which does not work. I do not find a specific inf file for the card on the XP installation CD.

I hope my description of the incident is clear. 

I am operating a dual boot Win XP Pro SP2 and Win 7.  

XFX GEForce 9300 MB
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    4 GB RAM

Other aspects of VWin seem to operate such as a scanner on a USB port and IE 8 so I believe my machine is capable -

Thank you for your interest and help.

Paul
    Monday, June 29, 2009 5:18 AM
  • Hi Paul

There is no SCSI controller support in Windows Virtual PC.

Regards
    Nitin
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:22 AM
  • I was trying to decide if I should pre-order Win 7 Professional in the hope that I could use the Nikon Coolscan III scanner in Virtual mode.  I have decided on Win 7 Home Premium and dual boot with XP until I replace the orphaned scanner.  

Thank you for your input. It informed my decision.
    Paul
    Friday, July 10, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Well, I won't be going to Windows 7 or any new operating system until there is scsi support.  My company can't afford to purchase all new equipment because Microsoft didn't do their part to convince Adaptec to write drivers for Windows 7.  So I will be staying with XP.
    Karen Needles
    Lincolnarchives Digital Project
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:56 AM
  • You're confusing the issue, the op said, the scanner installs fine in Windows 7, quote "...Adaptec AVA 2902E SCSI PCI controller card which installs fine in both Win 7..."
    Windows Virtual PC, like ALL the other VM programs doesn't provide peripheral pass-through for non-USB devices, so it doesn't matter whether or not there are drivers for Win7 for the scanner, the scanner doesn't get seen in a VM anyway.

Regardless, it's not up to Microsoft to "convince" other companies to write new drivers for old hardware.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:11 PM