none
Offline media and specify which deployment share to use RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have created a new deployment share in MDT workbench.
    I have created a offline media, exported it to ISO and write ISO to USB-stick.

How should I configure the offline media customsettings.ini and/or bootstrap.ini so that when I boot the USB-stick on a PC, the winPE (MDT) will go straight to this prompt?:

Friday, November 29, 2019 12:38 PM

All replies

• Hello,

While generating Offline Media, You need to automate the selection of TaskSequnce and settings through Custom.ini Files and Make Sure Bootstrap.ini should not contain the Path of DeployRoot for automatic deployment.

Check this Reference Guide for more information 

Friday, November 29, 2019 3:18 PM
  • My ini files look like this. When I boot the USB, MDT starts and I can see the .ini files are loaded but then the PC just restarts.

customsettings

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    SkipWizard=YES
    HIDESHELL=NO
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    SkipDeploymentType=YES
    DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER
    SkipTaskSequence=YES
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerName=YES
    OSDComputerName=
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP
    NetworkLocation=Work
    ApplyGPOPack=NO
    USMTOfflineMigration=FALSE
    OfflineMigration=D:
    SkipUserData=YES
    UserDataLocation=NONE
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    UILanguage=sv-se
    UserLocale=sv-se
    InputLocale=sv-se
    KeyboardLocale=sv-se;041d:0000041d
    TimeZoneName=W. Europe Standard Time
    SkipApplications=YES
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipPackageDisplay=YES
    _SMSTSOrgName=Contoso
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    AdminPassword=
    BdeInstallSuppress=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipBitLockerDetails=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipBuild=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    FinishAction=SHUTDOWN

bootstrap.ini

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    SkipWizard=YES
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    UserLocale=sv-SE
    KeyboardLocale=041d:0000041d
    TimeZoneName=W. Europe Standard Time

• Edited by FCarenborn Monday, December 2, 2019 11:37 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2019 11:01 AM
  • Earlier you shared the screenshots which was related to Ini files issues.... If everything looks good, Please validate whether you able to locate the TS.xml files inside Generated ISO by mounting.

DVD Drive > Control > Task Sequence Name 

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:59 AM
  • The ini files issue you refer to is my goal here. I want to end up at the screenshot i posted in my initial question.

I want to be able to boot up a PC with USB and point out the deployment share on my network to install the PC.

The Offline media im using for this dosent have a task sequence, so there is no TS.xml

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:04 PM
  • " The Offline media im using for this dosent have a task sequence, so there is no TS.xml "

Every Media has contains the Task Sequence then only the deployment is proceeding. If you not able to locate Please update the media content.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:22 PM
  • @FCarenborn

"How should I configure the offline media customsettings.ini and/or bootstrap.ini so that when I boot the USB-stick on a PC, the winPE (MDT) will go straight to this prompt?:"

"Offline" media should be just that - offline! When you build Offline Media everything you need is self contained int the ISO you built. The ISO should be self sufficient. The ISO built shouldn't reference any resource external to the ISO (e.g. a deployment share)

If you want your Offline Media to run a specific TaskSequence then assign the TaskSequenceID in the .ini file. Otherwise set SkipTaskSequence=NO and you'll be prompted for the task sequence to run.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:42 PM
  • Yepp, Im aware of this. I understand your opinions. Sorry for not being clear. This is a alternate request I have. I have no problem working with MDT by the book. But now I want to create this alternative way of deployment. :) I have done it before (3 years ago) but forgot how I did it.

• Edited by FCarenborn Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:29 PM