none
Stocks gadget gone in Windows 7 RTM

Question

• I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM and upgraded it over Windows Vista Ultimate x64 then noticed the Stocks gadget was gone. Stocks gadget were included in RC, not the RTM but why did Microsoft decided to removed it in the final build?

I downloaded Stocks gadget from Microsoft and installed it but the Stocks gadget is not working, got service not available message.

Any idea how to fix it?
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 7:53 AM

Answers

• I finally got StocksPlus working on Windows 7 RTM after searched Internet about take ownership of Windows 7 file and
    wlsrvc.dll.

Here the solution how to get Stocks gadget work on Windows 7 RTM.

1. Download and install StocksPlus gadget.
    2. Click Start, type in cmd and right click to run it as administrator.
    3. Go to Program Files\Windows Sidebar directory.
    4. Type "takeown /f wlsrvc.dll" without quote.
    5. Right click on wlsrvc.dll file, go to Properties/Security and click on Edit.
    6. Click on admininstrator username and tick to gain full control of the file then click Apply.
    7. Backup wlsrvc.dll and paste the same file from RC build 7100.
    8. Launch StocksPlus gadget.

The problem is down to the latest file wlsrvc.dll in RTM build 7600, StocksPlus worked fine with the old file from RC build 7100.

All Microsoft need to do is to update StocksPlus be full compatible with the new wlsrvc.dll file. I hope to see the new version by around the end of October.

My dad is now very happy man with StocksPlus worked, it more friendly than Stocks3 which he didnt liked it.

Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:54 AM
  • I noticed the same thing and have not been able to get it to work. However I found another gadget on the Live site, called "Stocks 3" which works well with the RTM. It isn't a nice looking but it works. I still hope someone fixes the original one though.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 2:16 AM
  • Since there is a new gadget that can replace the Stock Gadget, we have unloaded it from Windows 7.

From the following website we could get more useful gadgets.

Windows Live Gallery

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:56 AM

All replies

• I noticed the same thing and have not been able to get it to work. However I found another gadget on the Live site, called "Stocks 3" which works well with the RTM. It isn't a nice looking but it works. I still hope someone fixes the original one though.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 2:16 AM
  • Since there is a new gadget that can replace the Stock Gadget, we have unloaded it from Windows 7.

Windows Live Gallery

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:56 AM

Windows Live Gallery

Arthur Xie - MSFT

I assume you talk about new gadget called StocksPlus, that worked fine on Windows Vista but not Windows 7. StocksPlus is the only useful gadget for UK users like me who rely on UK stocks, it can view UK stocks charts but none of other gadgets can do this. Stocks3 is close, it only worked with US stocks charts but UK stocks charts are not available to view.

StocksPlus gadget need fix or update to work with Windows 7!
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:33 AM
  • This Stock3 should be the upgrade version of the original Stock gadget. The original one is not compatible with Windows 7.

Since there are several available Stock gadgets, we have removed this gadget in Windows 7. Users can download gadgets as their wishes.

It seems that the publisher does not include London Stock Exchange in the new gadget. The data in the gadget is from Yahoo Finance, that also has London Stock Exchange reports. I suggest you access the following forum and try to know if we can add it into the gadget.

Gallery item discussions - Sidebar:Stocks3 

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:02 AM
  • I finally got StocksPlus working on Windows 7 RTM after searched Internet about take ownership of Windows 7 file and
    wlsrvc.dll.

Here the solution how to get Stocks gadget work on Windows 7 RTM.

1. Download and install StocksPlus gadget.
    2. Click Start, type in cmd and right click to run it as administrator.
    3. Go to Program Files\Windows Sidebar directory.
    4. Type "takeown /f wlsrvc.dll" without quote.
    5. Right click on wlsrvc.dll file, go to Properties/Security and click on Edit.
    6. Click on admininstrator username and tick to gain full control of the file then click Apply.
    7. Backup wlsrvc.dll and paste the same file from RC build 7100.
    8. Launch StocksPlus gadget.

The problem is down to the latest file wlsrvc.dll in RTM build 7600, StocksPlus worked fine with the old file from RC build 7100.

All Microsoft need to do is to update StocksPlus be full compatible with the new wlsrvc.dll file. I hope to see the new version by around the end of October.

My dad is now very happy man with StocksPlus worked, it more friendly than Stocks3 which he didnt liked it.

Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:54 AM
  • Good job, thanks!
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:48 PM
  • Also works with the  wlsrvc.dll from Windows Vista Business SP2

Friday, August 21, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Now that Win 7 is released, I have installed the Home Premium 64 bit version and Stock3 doesn't work.  It downloads and supposedly installs but there is no display and it will not take stock symbols or names as input--just doesn't work.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:48 PM
  •  Iam using Stocks3 with Windows 7 x64 RTM (7600) with no problem, however I am using Ultimate. I wouldn't think that could cause any problems.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 9:08 PM
  • Did someone have the wlsrvc.dll from a Win7 RC 64Bit ??

thank's..
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:22 AM
  • James_Patageul use the file that comes in Windows Vista 64 bit
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:22 PM
  • It looks as if there are quite a few users who would like the old Stock Gadget back, to work on Windows 7. I know that's true for me, and if you read these comments, I (and several others) ask you to replace the stock gadget that you have unloaded from Windows 7.  I have not found a good replacement for it, and don't understand why you'd remove a good, working function.  Thanks.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 4:39 PM
  • I tried to find it on Live, but it appears that Microsoft has eliminated it because there are other options.  I don't find other options either though. The one I tried from Fidelity doesn't work now (though it did for a while).  Anyone find a good working Stock gadget for Windows 7? It was handy, and I hate to lose the function when upgrading systems.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Microsoft has "retired" the gadget gallery... in favor of Windows 8, which isn't even available yet (except as preview).

"The Windows Live Gallery has been retired. In order to focus support on the much richer set of opportunities available for the newest version of Windows, Microsoft is no longer supporting development or uploading of new Gadgets."     

Monday, November 28, 2011 11:46 PM
  • Simple: . . . If you have access to an old machine using the STOCKS for WINDOWS 7 gadget, simply copy the appropriate directory of files from old machine to your new machine. c:\Programs Files (x86)\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets and to c:\Programs Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets.

It was old machine directory: "StocksForWin7.Gadget" for my files.

Copy the whole directory from the directory level, not individual files.

• Proposed as answer by Grumpy Tech Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:56 PM
    • Edited by Grumpy Tech Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:08 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:56 PM