none
ASIO and windows 7 issues RECORDING

Question

• It seems that windows 7 isnt very compatible with ASIO drivers, (even the latest and working version) So most of video/audio programs that work recording and mixing doesnt seem to work. Does anybody know a way to make it work?
    I have running a Soundblaster Audigy 24bit (latest drivers and all) and HD audio (from intel motherboards) wich work quite good in windows enviroment, but appear disable when trying to record with ASIO. and as a side note, LATENCY is a huge drawback. What kind of drivers is using this? Its no fun to have monitored input with latency! :(. Everything worked smoothly in XP. Now facing some trouble in windows 7 RC (wich btw is awesome..)..
    Playback is good, can work up to 24 bit , recording is said to be at that quality too, but havent worked. With "windows sound" recording is possible, though huge latency (2 seconds).
    i'm running a quadcore 4gbram 2tb lot of drives around... video ati x1550... so it shouldnt be a problem.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:19 AM

All replies

• ASIO drivers worked fine for me in CuBase and in the guitar rig standalone program.  Out of curiosity, have you tried the virtual windows XP update for windows 7 available on microsoft.com? 
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 11:46 AM
  • The ASIO drivers run, and work,  (for playback) but when i place the mouse above the "interface" in 24 bit, it says "unavailable".  "gs wavetable disabled?"
    Only 16 bit is running (and only output) . In my High definition audio device only input appears.... wonder why?

By the way, i use version 2.9 of asio4all....  its not working in any program at all (adobe audition, sony vegas)

Which update do you talk about?, i've tried to run the ASIO thing in vista compatibility mode, XP sp3 compatibility mode, (all of those as an administrator) and nothing works Side note, i've managed to make it "work", (in the asio panel) by disabling in the windows audio devices the speaker output and the recording input... but now i cant hear anything at all..
    • Edited by Llama Oswaldo Sunday, May 17, 2009 7:28 AM
    • Proposed as answer by wans7783 Sunday, December 06, 2009 8:15 PM
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 7:21 AM
  • ASIO definitely seems pretty messed up in Windows 7 RC. I have to set my latency twice as high in order for playback to perform without crackling, and even when I do, the CPU continues to idle around 30% even when playback is stopped in Ableton Live 7 or 8. I really hope Microsoft will fix this issue, otherwise they're going to lose their musician market segment.
    • Proposed as answer by wans7783 Sunday, December 06, 2009 8:16 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:20 AM
  • After fooling around with it for a while, I've found out that it may just be Ableton Live that isn't working quite right... I've determined that setting Ableton to run in Vista SP2 compatibility mode seems to work best. If I load one of my existing projects in Windows 7 / Ableton Live 8, the CPU will remain around 40% for about 5 minutes if I leave it stopped, after which it will drop to zero usage, at which point I can playback my project normally. This however does not happen with projects that do not contain the Sampler instrument. I imagine Ableton is doing some intensive pre-buffering during the first five minutes of the project being open. I've also noticed that it's only on one of my cores that the CPU is being intensively utilized during this period. The CPU to the right stays very low on utilization.

I also tried Propellerhead Reason 4, and it seems to perform decently with ASIO settings; didn't try changing compatibility settings or anything.

In any event, I'm still a bit disappointed with the level of performance in 7 compared to that of XP. I still get audio pops every now and then in Live, just much less often with compatibility mode set to Vista SP2. I should also not have to wait 5 minutes for buffering to take place in order to get normal performance.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:34 PM
  • SAMPLITUDE 11 is falling when i just only choose in system options ASIO driver..... (windows 7)

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:50 AM
  • The big problem is that it seems that nobody from Microsoft looks at this forum. All over the net, there are some nice people who try to help with alternate solution like using Vista drivers, generic ASIO drivers and so on. Tech support for my sound card is suggesting changing some obscure settings in the BIOS, adding an external power supply to my USB interface (he is really nice). Bottom end, nothing works. My computer is new (core i5, 4GB ram) and there are no Xp drivers available for it. Cannot downgrade. I must say that win7 has a nice interface. A Ferrari with a lawnmower engine. At least, Microsoft should tell people if they are working on a solution. Mac OS has a nice interface too, and most important: it works!

Automation
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:10 PM
  • I am having no problem running ASIO drivers, I am using ASIOFORALL (the latest version) with Fruity Loops XXL 9 Producer Edition, and Cakewalk Sonar 6 P.E. with no problem, in fact Sonar is running fantastic with ASIOFORALL!!  my latency is around 10-15 ms!!

I am having problems though trying to install a few VST's, The Stillwell Audio Bundle, and the new Waves L3 Multimaximizer, are a few of my favorites that just will not install...

ALSO as a side note:  I could not get my Sonar 6 to record audio at first, so I poked around the audio settings and dug deeply and found some settings that I am not able to remember,  LOL  BUT it did fix the issue!   I would arm a track to record, then hit the record button and wham!!  total audio dropout!!  would stop the program immediately, I am no novice to recording I have been doing it for 20+ years, and digital for around 12 years, I build computers and install alot of audio hardware and software, Windows 7 is really good in my opinion, finding those settings in the Win 7 audio menus was not very fun, (I had to really dig,) BUT I found what I was looking for in the end.   

• Edited by eurekarem Saturday, July 03, 2010 6:09 PM to add stuff
    Saturday, July 03, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Hi EureKarmen,

When i started this thread , it was long time ago and even before RC  was out... It seems that the asio issues have been solved with the final release of windows 7 ultimate.  By the way, YES , there are some issues with some plugins and the x64 Operative system , remember that. Probably you'll have to wait for Waves or Stillwell to produce some 64bits plugins... but that seems pretty weird too, because i remember using  them in  Xp 64bits...  anyways, i'll try to install them (cause i have them too)= and then i'll tell you my results, please if you can , post the versions of your plugins, that might help too.

Saturday, July 03, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Hi All,

I'm after some help with setting up my home studio. I recently upgraded to a Dell studio laptop with windows 7 home premium. I am trying to set up my Edirol UR80 audio interface and am having problems with the driver set up. I've tried the installing with XP sevice pack 2 and this still won't work. Any ideas?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Wow, I am buying a mac. end of story. I don't have time to wait on this microsoft "update" bullshit
    • Proposed as answer by Xivics Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:39 AM
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:39 AM