none
Black screen on restart RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a system with a Pentium G4400t, which I think is like an even lower-end version of an i3-6100 processor.  (Windows 10 home, 1709, 4GB DDR4 memory) The machine has integrated Intel 510 graphics.  If I start the machine (cold boot) it starts normally.  If I try to restart, it shuts down and tries to restart.  At the expected time, the cursor appears, but the rest of the screen is black.  If I wait until I decide it has finished starting everything, I can tap the power button and the system shuts down, as it is supposed to.  If I then start again, it boots normally.  I have already turned off "Fast Boot" in the power options.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Saturday, February 17, 2018 10:31 PM

All replies

• Hi rak299,

What is the pc brand and model? Make sure you have all the latest updates and drivers.

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, February 18, 2018 12:08 AM
  • It is a Lenovo AIO 510.  All drivers etc. (Lenovo, Microsoft and Intel are latest)
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 12:59 AM
  • To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.
    Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.
    Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07
    It will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:
    copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

Sometimes the dxdiag file needs to be found and saved manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Sunday, February 18, 2018 1:03 AM
  • Can You boot into Safe mode?

If, then go to Device Manager > Locate Display Adapter > Select the graphic card > Right click to Uninstall (including it's application) > Reboot 

If the desktop appears normally then get connected with the internet and update the graphic card driver from Intel's site or via windows update.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, February 18, 2018 1:04 AM
  • Hi rak299,

Please try the following workarounds:

(1) System File Check:
        -- open command prompt (run cmd.exe) with Administrator privilege
        -- (in command prompt) type "sfc /scannow" and [Enter]

(2) install the latest graphics driver:
        Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 510
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88351/Intel-HD-Graphics-510

(3) System Repair:
        -- compulsory shut-down (press hardware Power button) two times, while black screen is appearing
        -- How To Repair Windows 10
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/repair-windows-10

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Sunday, February 18, 2018 3:07 AM
  •  I have the problem narrowed down to the intel graphics driver, only after a restart.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times from the computer manufacturer's site and from MS.  If I uninstall the HD Graphics 510 driver from device manager and remove the driver from the system, windows says it needs to restart to complete.  It restarts and the system comes up fine, but as soon as windows is running, windows installs the driver from windows update and the screen goes black. I cleared the event log and did a restart.  It came up with a black screen.  I waited a couple of minutes and I tapped the power button to shut down.  I then started again (cold boot).  I saved the event log and cleared it again.  I shut down and did another cold start and examined the event log.  The difference was that while I had the black screen (after restart) every 4 or 5 seconds, the warning message "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered." was posted.  There were no errors related to the display driver.  The driver message never appeared at all after a cold start.

Sunday, February 18, 2018 7:05 PM
  • The event log is one of the logs used for computer troubleshooting.

Not having a log or not posting a log reduces the ability to troubleshoot.

Sunday, February 18, 2018 8:41 PM
  • Event logs:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkJmPVzeYiW-gbN--ZCMC5ePKkn-cQ

Sunday, February 18, 2018 9:56 PM
  • To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.
    Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.
    Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07
    It will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:
    copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

Sometimes the dxdiag file needs to be found and saved manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Sunday, February 18, 2018 10:27 PM
  • Hi rak299,
    Let me confirm: Did you download and install the latest Intel HD 510 Graphics driver?
    Regards,

Ashidacchi

Sunday, February 18, 2018 10:43 PM
  • Saved as 

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkJmPVzeYiW-gbN--ZCMC5ePKkn-cQ

Sunday, February 18, 2018 10:44 PM
  • Regarding the question about drivers, I installed the latest one from Lenovo.  When that didn't work, I used the Intel auto installer.  That didn't help.  When I searched for HD Graphics 510, there is a later one from Intel.  I tried to install that, but it gave a message that it wasn't certified for my machine and I should contact the computer manufacturer. The installation wwouldn't run. :(
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 10:49 PM
  • The BSOD mini dump files when debugged displayed the Intel graphics driver as the misbehaving driver.
    The bugcheck was 116.
    This indicates a Video TDR error. (Timeout Detection Recovery)
    This could be caused by:
    a) drivers 
    b) heat 
    c) power to the card 
    d) a faulty PCI-e slot or simply 
    e) defective GPU

Perform the following steps:

1) Make sure that there is no over clocking during the troubleshooting process.

2) Open the Lenovo website > enter the computer's product or serial number > select the operating system > view drivers and BIOS > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread.

3) Upgrade the BIOS from Version/Date LENOVO O2JKT16A, 7/14/2016 > O31KT18A15 Jan 2018
    https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/500-series/aio-510-22ish/f0cb/f0cb009wck/downloads/DS118319

4) To ensure that there are no improper bios settings please reset the bios.
    5) Sometimes there can be failure to boot after resetting the bios. 
    6) Backup the computer files to another drive or to the cloud.
    7) Make a backup image using Macrium: 
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free: 
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    7) And please create a brand new restore point.

How to Clear Your Computers CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/
    3 Ways to Reset Your BIOS - wikiHow:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

8) If the computer has Ccleaner > click windows tab > scroll down to system and advanced > post an image into the thread

9) In the left lower corner search type clean > open disk cleanup > scroll up and down > post images into the thread

10) In the left lower corner search type: system or system control > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings 
    a) > on the advanced tab under startup and recovery click settings > post an image of the startup and recovery into the thread.
    b) > on the advanced tab under performance > click on settings > click on advanced tab > under virtual memory click on change > post an image of the virtual memory tab into the thread

11) In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > open DirectX diagnostic Tool > on the bottom middle click on next page to open each tab > allow several minutes for it to fully load > save to desktop > post a one drive or drop box share link into the thread.

12) Choose one of the temperature monitoring software applications: Speecy, HW monitor, Speed fan:
    Speccy - Free Download - Piriform: Speccy - System Information - Free 
    https://www.piriform.com/speccy
    HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID: HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
    SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer: SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

13) Ensure the GPU is free from dust build up and that the fan is working correctly
    14) Reseat the GPU and check all connections are securely made

15) Download this Intel graphics driver to the desktop:  
    Intel Graphic Driver 
    Windows 7 (64-bit)
    21.20.16.455021 Sep 2017Recommended120.8 MB
    https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/500-series/aio-510-22ish/f0cb/f0cb009wck/downloads/DS118270

16) Download and install the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (IPDT)
    It may run at the time of the download but it will be used after the Intel driver is replaced.  
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool
    The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool:  
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005567.html

16) Plan to have no connection to the internet for 4 - 8 hours for testing purposes.

17) Turn off wireless.  A hardware wireless off is preferred.
    18) Disconnect Ethernet/cat53/LAN
    19) Turn off the router if necessary

20) Turn off Windows updates of non-Microsoft drivers:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-enable-disable-driver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

21) Uninstall the Intel graphics driver using device manager
    22) Install the Lenovo approved rolled back Intel graphics driver on the desktop

23) Monitor the temperatures under idle for several hours and indicate in the thread whether there were any black screens or BSOD.

24) If there were no black screens or BSOD then run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (IPDT).
    25) When the test completes please use the Microsoft snipping tool to post an image into the thread using a one drive or drop box share link.

26) If you get this far with a Lenovo approved driver under idle and under stress without a black screen or BSOD then turn on the Internet.
    27) Report the progress with each of the above steps into the thread.

28) For any new BSOD please run this administrative command prompt command and post new log files into the thread:

Monday, February 19, 2018 1:23 AM
  • as stated above, drivers are the latest. BIOS is the latest.  I didn't mention heat, but it occurs on resatart immediately and with no load.  anyway, temperature is in the 40's.  It is integrated graphics, so there is no card.  There is no card so there is no slot.  There is no GPU.
    Monday, February 19, 2018 1:42 AM
  • Please post a link for the computer's drivers and BIOS.

The link for the BIOS was that for this computer or was that for a different computer?

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/500-series/aio-510-22ish/f0cb/f0cb009wck/downloads/DS118319

Having a link in the thread will be useful to avoid any confusion.

The link that I had viewed only displayed Lenovo approved drivers up through Windows 7.

There were no Lenovo approved drivers tested for Windows 10.

Sometimes the latest drivers can cause computer instability and rolled back drivers need to be used.

Heat could be the overriding problem.  Were you able to check and clean fans?

Follow the steps above for the rolled back driver tests and report the results into the thread.

If the rolled back driver is able to provide computer stability without black screen or BSOD then report the results for the IPDT stress test.

Monday, February 19, 2018 1:54 AM
  • This discussion seems to be a waste of time.  The Lenovo AIO 510 was originally sold with windows 10.  There was no other option.  As I said above, drivers and BIOS are the latest.  I'm a moderator on the Lenovo tech forum so I know what those words mean.  The machine has under 100 hours of use and I said temperatures are in the 40's.  Cleaning the fan seems silly.  The problem started after a clean install of win 10 from media downloaded from MS, so there is no rollback.  The important point seems to be the fact that the machine always works after a cold boot and never works after a restart.
    Monday, February 19, 2018 2:38 AM
  • I have run that diagnostic and others.  It does not seem to be a hardware error.
    Monday, February 19, 2018 3:50 AM
  • When I try to install V 1565 the install worn't run saying my computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements.  I tried both the windows 10 and windows 7 versions with the same result.  When I try to update manually via device manager, it says the best driver for my computer is already installed.  After I uninstall the driver for HD Graphics 510 and remove it from the system, the machine works fine for a few minutes until Windows Update "fixes" things by installing the missing driver.  I tried setting "base video" via MSCONFIG but that still runs HD Graphics 510 in VGA mode.  Is there a way to force the system to continue to use Microsoft Basic Display Adapter?
    Monday, February 19, 2018 6:47 PM
  • As I said in my previous response "When I try to update manually via device manager, it says the best driver for my computer is already installed.  "

What is the problem with MS basic display adapter?  I think I should be able to install group policy editor and block the loading of HD graphics 510.

• Edited by rak299 Monday, February 19, 2018 7:36 PM
    Monday, February 19, 2018 7:15 PM
  • If I uninstall first and try to use the installer in the Intel package, it says my hardware doesn't meet the minimum requirements.  Very soon, after I uninstall, windows update re-installs it.  If I disconnect from the internet, uninstall and add an "other device" using device manager, I can find the inf file in the package and install that.  Intel HD 510, then appears in device manager, but it still gives a black screen on restart.  

What is the problem with MS basic display adapter?  I think I should be able to install group policy editor and block the loading of HD graphics 510.

Monday, February 19, 2018 8:03 PM
  • This is a silly conversation.  I stated several times that I tried the drivers from Lenovo.  I would guess that if I tried them again, they would do the same thing they did the other times: give a black screen on restart.  The drivers from Intel and the drivers from Lenovo all do the same thing.  I asked what was the problem with forcing MS basic display adapter.  If you don't know, it's OK for you to say that.
    Monday, February 19, 2018 8:40 PM
  • That's how I started.  I installed win10 from fresh iso file downloaded from Microsoft.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 2:13 AM
  • No message.  The screen blanks for a second. There is the new hardware beep.  (I assume this is the basic adapter loading.)  Then it says it needs to reboot for changes to take effect.  If I didn't delete the driver when I disabled it, the reboot reloads the HD 510 driver as part of the boot and it comes up with a black screen.  If I delete the driver when I disable it, it boots with MS basic display adapter and comes up normally, but a minute or 2 later, it automatically gets and loads the HD 510 driver again and turns black.

To me, what is important is that if I do a cold boot, it comes up with HD graphics 510 working.  It doesn't get sick until I restart.  Something must load in a different order or something similar

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:43 AM
  • I wasn't sure what update started things, so I went back to the beginning.  I wiped out all partitions and I installed fresh from a new iso downloaded from Microsoft. (Home edition, 64-bit, UEFI partition)  It came up fine.  Device manager showed it was using "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".  A message poped up in the action center saying something like "screen resolution, performance and battery life could be reduced until a suitable display adapter finished installing".  From that point on, I didn't do anything or install anything.  I just watched.  About 3 minutes later, it gave the new hardware beep and the screen went black.  A couple of minutes later, I got a blue screen, followed by a restart to a black screen.  I held the power button to fully shut down, and started again.  It came up with Intel HD graphics 510.  
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:20 PM
  • I still get the black screen, so the error is in the base OS
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:34 PM
  • To rule in / rule out integrated GPU problem:

1) Perform a clean install.  

2) Keep the computer disconnected from the internet so that there are never any updates.

3) Do not install any drivers, applications, files, etc.

4) Observe the computer for stability /instability / freezes / black screens, red screens, BSOD, etc. for 24 to 48 hours.

5) Create a Linux /Ubuntu bootable drive.

6) Boot the computer with Ubuntu

7) Evaluate the computer for stability /instability /freezes /black screens red screens, BSOD, etc. for 24 to 48 hours.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:40 PM
  • I am not going to go to windows 7.  This model was originally sold with windows 10, but before 1709.  I reinstalled OS with no internet access and so far it has been stable.  It shows MS basic display adapter and some problem devices in device manager, but with no access to Windows Update it cannot update anything.  I will let it run for a while to confirm, and then I'll turn on wifi.  I expect it will automatically update the video driver and get sick.  I'll also boot with ubuntu and see what it does, but I think I need to get an updated video driver from Lenovo.

Thanks

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 8:23 PM
  • Manufacturer Lenovo

Model F0CB009WCK

Looking at Lenovo's driver page, something may be screwed up on their end.  This machine was sold only with windows 10, so they have windows 10 video drivers and windows 7 drivers, I assume for downgrades.  The readme for the win 10 driver lists the compatible chipsets and it has several (HD graphics 520, 610, 620, 630, UHD 630) but not HD Graphics 510, which is what is in this machine.  The windows 7 driver's readme has 510 and others.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:13 PM
  • here is the sticker:
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:57 PM
  • There is no right one.  Some AIO 510 have switchable graphics and they get either the NVIDIA drivers or the AMD ones.  I have no GPU on this machine - only integrated.  All of them (with or without GPU) are supposed to get the windows 10 Intel driver or the Windows 7 driver.  I cannot install the AMD or NVIDIA drivers because I don't have the hardware.  When I try to install the windows 10 driver, it says the machine doesn't meet the requirements.  The readme says it needs HD 520 graphics or above, even though this machine has was sold with 510 graphics.  Lenovo sells an AIO 520 which is a very similar machine with 520 graphics.  I also tried installing the windows 7 driver, after uninstalling and removing the 510 win10 driver and also being disconnected from the internet to stop auto update.  The windows 7 driver installs, but it works the same way as the driver that comes via windows update.  That may be the one that MS is using.  I am just writing a note to a contact at Lenovo who may have some ability to fix something on their end.  I'll post back if I get anything from them.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 10:42 PM
  • If I try to restart, it shuts down and tries to restart.  At the expected time, the cursor appears, but the rest of the screen is black.

Do you have another monitor you could attach?  If so, check what is on it.  This symptom could mean that the system thinks that this is a secondary screen; so then, depending on whether your "black" is really black or just blank the display configuration would be PC Screen Only or just Extend.  Then you would have a (perhaps phantom) primary that you could control (and use to fix your display configuration) using your keyboard.  I.e, Win-P, End, for Second Screen Only (with a Keep this? prompt which you would see and respond to with Tab, Enter) or Win-P, CursorUp, Enter for Duplicate (or Second Screen Only again with the accompanying prompt).

Alternatively this reminds me of a "discussion" which was started a long time ago where the user explained that she had to use devcon to simulate the workaround that you have discovered...
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/workaround-to-black-screen-with-cursor-at-boot/d199e501-b530-4d01-8500-0b5cc89f255b

However, some of the other discussion involving installing the Intel generic driver makes me wonder about your technique in trying to use it.  Intel have a helpful page that explains about some of the hoops we need to jump through to get that done.  For example, we need to install it manually, and then use the Browse my computer... Let me pick sequence instead of anything else or it will get replaced by Windows Update's choice.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 10:52 PM
  • I don't think it is a secondary monitor problem. When the screen is black, I can see the backlight flash every few seconds.  (A black screen with the backlight on is different from a black screen with the backlight off)  Also the event log gets a warning message every few seconds that the display driver has recovered (described above).  I assume the event log message happens at the same instant the backlight comes on.

The link you posted is one I read and followed before I started this thread. I did a lot of problem determination before I started this thread.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 11:01 PM
  • The link you posted is one I read and followed before I started this thread.

I actually posted two links but wonder if the last one is going to be too specific to my Intel HD Graphics.  So, I just did a search there for 510 and found this download set.  Does this list a download you tried?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/88351/graphics-drivers/graphics-for-6th-generation-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-510.html?wapkw=510

Looks like there was a very recent update.   ; )

However, I think you should get Intel's Processor Identification Utility and find out what "generation" your CPU really is.  E.g. your sticker shows CPU: G4400T.  What's that?  You may also be able to use msinfo32 System Summary Processor to find this detail.

I found this but I don't know how to interpret it in terms of "generation".  I'm doubting it is going to be even 6th, so the 510 may be a red herring.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/pentium/g4400t.html

It's a Pentium (says so in the path).  Also

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html 
    <quote>
    Processor numbers for the Intel® Pentium® brand have an alpha prefix followed by a four-character numerical sequence.
    </quote>

So, what did you download?

Wow.  Those 6th, 7th, etc. drivers are actually listed here
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/89613/Intel-Pentium-Processor-4000-Series

Go for it, I guess.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 3:32 AM
  • I tried the links you provided.  G4400t is skylake (6th gen).  Certainly, it is low-end.

https://ark.intel.com/products/90614/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G4400T-3M-Cache-2_90-GHz

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:14 AM
  • I tried the links you provided.  G4400t is skylake (6th gen).  Certainly, it is low-end.

https://ark.intel.com/products/90614/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G4400T-3M-Cache-2_90-GHz

That leads here for the latest

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26941/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?product=90614

Version: 15.46.02.4729 (Previously Released)                         Date: 7/11/2017

Is there a usable driver in that page's .zip file?

BTW that's more than I have in my Surface 2 Pro.  The strange thing that happened when I installed the one I found for it is that the version number changed a bit unexpectedly.   E.g. I was expecting  15.40.37.4835 but finally got 20.19.15.4835.  The significant thing I think is that the build number is the same but I still get the 20. somehow that Surface was trying to give me.  In any case the driver date is now showing me something from 2017 instead of 2015.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 6:40 AM
  • Hello

I appear to be having the same symptoms. User restart black screen no desktop mouse pointer only. Cold boot to user no apparent issue. Log off, log in as network administrator seems to work as well. My errant system is a refurb Dell T3600 that I loaded Windows 7 SP1 on. I recently brought that computer on line so I don't have a lot of test data.

Makes me wonder if it is a Levono issue or even a Windows 10 issue.

thanks for the thread

bret

Thursday, June 28, 2018 5:18 PM
  • black screen no desktop mouse pointer only.

Sounds like a corrupt user profile?  I saw one yesterday when there was too much going on.  Somehow the blackness extended to the Lock screen (e.g. after Win+L).   Narrator is handy to have then.  Used it to get to another account and managed to kill some stuff to get back to normal.

Also, be aware that black screen with pointer implies blank screen which also can mean secondary with phantom (or just disconnected) primary.  Then again, using Narrator to be sure you can get to the Login screen allows you to try using the Project dialog to switch to Duplicate (e.g. press Win+P, CursorUp, Enter).

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 29, 2018 12:09 AM