none
Windows 7 tips RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here are some tips I have have found about Windows 7 in these forums and elsewhere...
    Feel free to post your own!

Each post should have "a name:" code before it, use this when linking to this post to skip to certain tips!
    (eg sample link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/702d4ffc-cd4a-4fb2-96d3-6d2f75ea95cb#a name mentioned before tip )
    -------------------------------------------

a name: reboot
    My computer is acting really weird! It is doing X and Y and Z.....
    (thx to OldHobo for reminding me of this)

Have you rebooted your comp yet? Windows comes up with weird errors if it has been on for a while...

a name: moveapps
    Can I move around the system tray icons or the taskbar apps? I would really like to organize them!

Sure, just drag to tray icons or taskbar apps to their desired spot! (A big taskbar improvement, wouldn't you say?)

Note that moving taskbar apps act like the Vista sidebar (where new gadgets docked in the sidebar at the bottom go up to the top); if dragged to the right they will automatically slide back to the left until the 1st app it encounters (open or pinned) stops it.

a name: w7systemreq
    What is the minimum Windows 7 system requirements, or how much less than MS's recommendations can I go?

See this thread: Windows 7 minimum system requirements
    (link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/9038c21f-5184-468c-bf5b-9f54bca70c5c )

Alternatively, check out Microsoft's Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your computer can upgrade to win7.
    (link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor )

a name: w7editions
    You know anything about which edition of Windows 7 does what? Also from what XP and Vista editions can I upgrade from?

Check out here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

XP users : A clean install of Win7 is required.

Vista users:
    Check out this chart to see which versions of win7 you can upgrade your Vista install to and which ones require clean installs of win7.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-considerations.aspx

a name: showingtitleoftaskbarapps
    OK, I don't quite care for the icons only part of the win7 taskbar, any way to change it back to Vista looks?

Well, not quite exactly the looks of Vista, but take a look through the Taskbar and Start menu properties (right-click taskbar and select properties), check "Use small icons" and under Taskbar buttons, choose "Combine when taskbar is full. Now you will have a cross between the Vista and win7 looks, that's about as close as you can get, unlles you can get a 3rd party visual style that mimics Vista.

a name: installingprograms
    I can't get any programs to install!

Installing programs require / always invokes a UAC prompt.

If UAC is disabled, that prompt never gets to you, which (usually) has the same effect as you pressing Cancel/No at the UAC prompt . This is why none of your programs are installing, you need to turn on UAC.

Edit: But!:
    I have UAC turned off (also off in Vista) and have no problem installing programs, on both x86 and x64 machines.
    I can verify this fact on my comp, but if you are having trouble getting programs to start installing or can't access advanced system settings, please turn UAC on!

a name: ms09037
    There is this very important update MS released recently; the update / bulletin is KB973540 / MS09-037 , it affects Windows Media Player, and I want to install it on my win7 system so I am not affected by this hole, any help?

It is amazing to me how many threads I have encountered on this update (KB973540 / MS09-037), all trying to install this update on win7. The bulletin (link here , security bulletin here ) clearly states that the affected WMP versions are 9-11 on 2000, XP, and Vista , and it states that win7 is NOT affected. Win7 has version 12 by default, which is not affected by this hole, hence win7 is not affected by this hole and does not need this patch!!

(I have heard that RC users need the patch, but that is not verified in the bulletin... )

a name: olddrivers
    Can I use XP or Vista drivers with win7?

You can use Vista drivers just fine, but XP ones may/will be a hassle to get to work.

a name: oldgfxcards
    I have a older ATI card or a Intel 8 series chipset (eg 82865G), or a NVIDIA Geforce 4 MX or 5 FX series and want to get WDDM 1.1 (win7) drivers for it, but I can't find them. Help!

See here: Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    (link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/243faae6-75c9-40f9-b946-100befe4b6f3 )

a name: onboardandgfxcards
    I have this weird graphics card problem with my dedicated graphics card,....

Have you disabled the onboard graphics card, as onboards cards conflict with a dedicated graphics card.

a name: wei
    Note about the Windows Experience Index (WEI):

Make sure to not run any programs in the background while running the assessment to ensure a accurate WEI index.

I learned this the hard way by having my graphics card drop .2 points by running the fireworks show of Spider Solitare during a re-run of the assessment because of a update to the graphics driver.

a name: runautorunsorprocexpelevated
    I like using Autoruns or Process Explorer from the Run menu, how can I run them with elevated priviliges though?
    (Copied from this thread)
    The File menu in Autoruns has the option to restart the application with full admin rights.

In Process Explorer there is "Show Details for All Processes" in the File menu which does the same thing.

Otherwise you can start the command prompt you use to start Autoruns as Administrator.

a name: vistauacupgrading
    Note about upgrading from Vista to win7:

Make sure UAC in Vista is turned ON before upgrading, to avoid problems concerning UAC during and after the upgrade process.

<small>a name: bootiniandbcd</small>
    I liked using the boot.ini switches in XP, but how do I use them with Vista/win7's new BCD stuff?

See here: equivalent of boot.ini switches in win7
    (link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproperf/thread/a3a948b0-c144-40bc-9af9-c58a92ec44b2 )

It involves using a cmd prompt run as administrator, and the bcdedit commands.

<small>a name: closingremarks</small>
    There are more win7 tips and tricks at these links:

I found this thread stating some Control Panel and other tweaks, check it out! (requires Registry editing!)
    Tweak Control Panel & Desktop Toolbar
    (link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/3de61206-90ff-454c-99f2-6ab0386722d2 )

Windows 7 - Tutorial Index
    (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/257-windows-7-tutorial-index.html )

Ultimate List of Free Windows 7 Software & Resources from Microsoft
    (http://bhandler.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!70F64BC910C9F7F3!4572.entry )

Windows 7: 77 Windows 7 Tips
    (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.10.77windows.aspx )

Those are all the tips I can find/think of right now, please post your own tips!  
    • Edited by JoelbX Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:59 PM take out RC tips in prep for RC expiry
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:12 PM

All replies

• Thank you for sharing it. :)
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:34 AM
  • I love menu's. I was able to activate menus on IE8, Windows Explorer and Windows Live e-mail.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 3:55 PM
  • I was able to activate menus on IE8, Windows Explorer and Windows Live e-mail.
    OK, and how did you do it?

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme for older ATI graphics cards or Intel onboard graphics and Windows 7 users
    Windows 7 tips (you are already here)
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:34 PM edit signature :)
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Joel -

In IE 8, the menu bar is simply added by right-clicking on a clear space next to the New Tab button (the half hidden outcropping after the last tab shown) and clicking on Menu Bar.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:58 AM

• I can't get any programs to install!

Installing programs require / always invokes a UAC prompt.

If UAC is disabled, that prompt never gets to you, which has the same effect as you pressing Cancel/No at the UAC prompt . This is why none of your programs are installing, you must turn on UAC.

I have UAC turned off (also off in Vista) and have no problem installing programs, on both x86 and x64 machines.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:28 AM
  • Update:
    Thanks for making this thread a sticky thread, whoever did it!
    Update: Where did the sticky status go?

Also you are welcome for me sharing this with you. Thought I would put together a list of win7 tips (so I could remember how I did some system tweaks!), and I am glad it has helped you!
    Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme for older ATI graphics cards or Intel onboard graphics and Windows 7 users
    Windows 7 tips (you are already here)
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:32 PM
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:00 PM
  • this isent relly a tip but

the desktop look a lot more pro and tidy if u dont have desktop icons or if u must have them get the icons arranged with the desktop bg like i used the moon and i have icons around the moon (it look relly cool)

sam eden

programming @ 15 years old and trying to beat Gray.M at it
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:47 PM
  • this isent relly a tip but

the desktop look a lot more pro and tidy if u dont have desktop icons or if u must have them get the icons arranged with the desktop bg like i used the moon and i have icons around the moon (it look relly cool)

Can you post a screenshot of what you are talking about? sounds really cool!

- forum9851
    :)
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:52 PM

• sorry it on my ubuntu pc (has not internet) but my friend has the same thing on a windows 7 i try get him to post it hear

sam eden

programming @ 15 years old and trying to beat Gray.M at it
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Good Tips !
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:31 AM