none
WindowsUpdate_80070539 error

Question

• The latest update will not install.  It says downloaded but gives "encountered unknown error" and asks to try again. 

Tried rebooting, no luck
    Tried deleting the "softwaredistribution" folder , no luck
    Tried clearing temp folder, no luck.
    Tried running in safe mode, no luck.

Any help?
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Did you shut down the Automatic Updates service prior to deleting the contents of SoftwareDistribution?

If not, from an elevated command prompt type "net stop wuauserv" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    Once done, you can restart it the same way by typing "net start wuauserv" (without the quotes)
    - John
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 9:09 PM
    Answerer
  • If you are running Google Desktop or Windows Eyes, uninstall it. But before you do, could you please tell me the exact version - reinstalling it with a (possibly?) later version corrects issue. :)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/dd5b92f5-9ed4-42ad-b2f2-8b4cf6362ecb
    Ned Pyle [MSFT] - MS Enterprise Platforms Support - Beta Team
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 3:06 AM
  • It turns it out was Google Desktop.  I uninstalled, rebooted and it installed just like it was suppoed to.  

Thanks for the help!

Moby
    • Marked as answer by sfmobius Sunday, February 15, 2009 10:28 PM
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 10:28 PM
  • I was unable to uninstall mine, so I just re-installed the latest over it, and everything now works (no security id problems, backup works, updates work).

Thanks!
    Cheers, Dallas
    • Proposed as answer by rafalklimsiak Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:54 PM
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 6:59 PM
  • It really works.
    Thanks.
    Google deskop removed and win 7  installed the update.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Google Desktop, installed 2 days ago, was the culprit. Removing it allowed Windows Updates, all of which failed while GD was installed.

- Tom
    Friday, December 11, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Hello!

I have exactly the same error/problem but do not have Google Desktop or Windows Eyes installed. What else could it be?

Should I install Google Desktop an remove it again?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Patrick

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:16 PM
  • I have the same problem. I tried installing then uninstalling Google Desktop but still cant update
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 10:50 AM
  • probably google desktop is not compatible with the windows update, you can have detailed instructions on this page http://blog.teesupport.com/how-to-guide-fix-windows-update-error-80070539-on-windows-7/
    Monday, August 15, 2011 4:46 AM
  • I also found success by uninstalling Google Desktop!!

Good riddance

Than You!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:53 PM
  • This is freaky! I have a good WinVista Toshiba LT that I upgraded with Win7 Home Prem in December. Everything went well with MSupdates, until March. I have been trying and trying to install the 16 updates without success--failure over and over. It was so annoying I finally just shut them off altogether--something I was VERY loath do to do!

The link on the error didn't take me to anything useful--not even the same error code. So finally I Googled the error 80070539, and your THREE year old post popped up. I decided what the hey, and uninstalled Google Desktop--didn't even boot. Just clicked on the Updates hanging there, and they went through.

Now my question is, how can two companies such as Google and MS not have solved this in 3 YEARS????

AND, can I now reinstall GD? (There was no version number on it, BTW.)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

CarolB

Sunday, April 08, 2012 10:36 PM