none
Desktop Link No Longer Works from Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello--

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. For some reason, when I am browsing for a file either to open from an application like Office, or browsing from Outlook to attach a file to a message, within Windows Explorer, when I click on Desktop, nothing happens.

It used to work, so I'm guessing it might have been changed from an update, but I have no idea for sure.

I have tried to create new shortcuts to my Desktop and put them in my Favorites, but nothing seems to work.

I went online to research the issue and found no relevant solutions.

Any helps is appreciated. Now I have to browse the system drive --> Users --> <My user name> --> Desktop any time I need to get to my Desktop.

Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen Davis

Friday, December 13, 2013 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How about other applications? Do they still cannot work with the desktop of  windows explorer?

Does this issue occur in other accounts?

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Hello--

Unfortunately my registry on this machine seems to have become corrupted and I am probably going to need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 anyway.

We can close this post.

Thanks anyway

Stephen Davis

Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:20 PM

All replies

• Try a system restore.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, December 14, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

So, try to restore favorite links for a try:

1. Open Windows Explorer:

2. Right click on Favorites in the navigation pane, and click on Restore favorite links.

Alex Zhao

Monday, December 16, 2013 9:38 AM
  • Hi,

So, try to restore favorite links for a try:

1. Open Windows Explorer:

2. Right click on Favorites in the navigation pane, and click on Restore favorite links.

Alex Zhao

Sorry-- I should have said in my original post that I read that as a solution when I did an online search and it didn't work.

Stephen Davis

Monday, December 16, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

How about other applications? Do they still cannot work with the desktop of  windows explorer?

Alex Zhao

Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

Alex Zhao

Hello--

Unfortunately my registry on this machine seems to have become corrupted and I am probably going to need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 anyway.

We can close this post.

Thanks anyway

Stephen Davis

Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:20 PM