none
Windows 7 focus stealing

Question

• I've seen this mentioned in other postings with no resolution and none of the conversations have been recent.  I'm hoping there are new developments in preventing programs from stealing focus.  This was easlily fixed in Windows XP, but I haven't seen a fix for Windows 7.  I see this most with Outlook or AIM.  Rather than just blinking the taskbar item, the window pops up on front of what I was currently viewing.  This is quite annoying when, for example, I'm typing in a Word doc and AIM pops up with a new message and I'm typing in the AIM box without realizing.  I've hit enter a couple of times and the recipient usually writes back asking what the hell I'm talking about.  It also happens a lot if I open Outlook and then switch to another program while it's loading.  The Outlook window will steal focus and pop up in front at least twice.

Any new registry hacks for this?

Friday, February 11, 2011 5:04 PM

All replies

• hi,

Try to modify registry to delay the time before you backup registry:

1. Click Start, type regedit and press Enter.
    2. Navigate to
    HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Desktop.
    3. In the right panel, Modify the vaule of ForegroundLockTimeout to max, it should be ffffffff.
    4. Restart the computer.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:18 AM
  • I've attempted this fix but it does not solve the problem.  I see the same symptoms.  I checked that the registry change was still there after reboot.  Still there but doesn't seem to have any impact.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:24 PM