none
CD/DVD-ROM drive disappeared!

Question

• Specs:

8600 GT

C2D E4300

Lite-On CD/DVD Burner

x64 Vista

For whatever reason, my CD/DVD-ROM drive disappeared from my computer. It opens and closes ok, but I cannot access any CD/DVD I insert into it. I know for a fact that it works, because it worked before. I also partially installed Nero 7 (it wasn't Vista x64 so it got messed up in installation and I can't uninstall it) but the CD/DVD Drive still appeared back then. I also checked my registries for the filters but found none. Can someone help?

Saturday, November 17, 2007 11:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For this problem, please try the following steps:

Step 1: please temporarily remove the Nero 7 from "Control Panel"-> "Add/Remove Programs".

Step 2: Modify the Registry:

1. Click "Start"->"Run", type in "regedit" (without quotation marks) and click "OK".

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Highlight this key, on the right pane, and then check if the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" values are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

Step 3: Remove the CDROM driver:

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", type "devmgmt.msc" and press "Enter".

2. Expand "DVD/CDROM Drives".

3. Right click your CDROM Drive, and click "Uninstall".

4. Reboot the client.

Hope it helps.

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For this problem, please try the following steps:

Step 1: please temporarily remove the Nero 7 from "Control Panel"-> "Add/Remove Programs".

Step 2: Modify the Registry:

1. Click "Start"->"Run", type in "regedit" (without quotation marks) and click "OK".

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Highlight this key, on the right pane, and then check if the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" values are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

Step 3: Remove the CDROM driver:

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", type "devmgmt.msc" and press "Enter".

2. Expand "DVD/CDROM Drives".

3. Right click your CDROM Drive, and click "Uninstall".

4. Reboot the client.

Hope it helps.

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:56 AM
  •  

Hi folks,

I have almost the same problem. only that I dont installed nothing. How can I get back the CD/DVD drive?

Thanks in advance!!!

Monday, February 25, 2008 10:28 PM
  • I also lost my drives.  I did as the last post said.  Now how do I install my drives?  I can't do it from a cd as my computer doesn't think it has a drive.  My drives no longer exsist.  No yellow !  but it did see that I have new equipment.  What do I do?  I also can not restore to an earlier date.  There is none according to my computer.  This all started when I uninstalled Nero 6.  I've been working on this for hours.  Please Help Me....

I have Windows XP Home 2

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:44 AM
  • Hi

I'm going to answer my own question.  If you keep looking in this area you'll find this link.

It worked for me.  Easy if you can figure out where to look for it.

I hope this helps someone else.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060 

Monday, April 21, 2008 3:11 PM
  • Well done.

It seems the NTI CD/DVD Software that came with the Acer Veriton PC was conflicting with Windows 7. Your steps fixed the issue nicely.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:03 AM
  • I have this problem all the time.  It happens whenever I uninstall one of those annoying toolbars that google or ask.com or something tries to force on you.  What I did was go to START, then CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM and SECURITY, SYSTEM, DEVICE MANAGER.  Then, a list appears of everything that's on your computer.  Find the CD/DVD drive.  It's normally clearly labelled DVD/CD drives.  Highlight the cd dvd drive and right click on it.  A box appears with different tabs on the top.  Click the DRIVER tab.  One of the options will be to delete (Not disable) the driver.  Do that.  Then restart windows.  When Windows restarts it will see there's a 'new device'.  It should automatically find it and install it.  If not, try to find the driver online and install it by hand.  Hope this helps.
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 9:45 PM
  • THIS DOES WORK,

SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY A BAD OR MISSINSTALLED UNINSTALLED CD BURNING MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE SUCH AS NERO OR ROXIO.

JIN-FENG-REN FIX WORKED FOR ME.

I DID NOT ADDED THE DEVICES VIA DEVMGMT.MSC ALL I DID WAS REMOVED THE KEY AND REBOOTED THE SYSTEM DRIVES RETURNED.

FIRST BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY ANYTIME YOU ARE WORKING WITH IT.

THANKS JIN

JOE

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:39 PM
  • I have the same problem but i don't have Nero 7 on my computer? so what do I do?
    Friday, February 07, 2014 12:38 AM
  • I have a Lenovo T410 running Windows 7 professional.  After running several updates I discovered one of them caused my disk drive to stop running.  I have searched and worked for 2 days to correct this problem, even went into the registry and tried changing the exact key you advised to delete, all to no avail!  Your suggestion worked perfectly and now I am installing software again about to get my system back up after an HD change!

thanks so much for this answer!

Ken Gooch

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:48 AM