none
Keyboard not working in login screen RRS feed

• Question

• After what seemed to be a successful installation of Windows 8 (on top of Windows 7), after a re-start, I now have a problem with logging in.

The login screen does not accept input from my keyboard when entering the password for my user. The keyboard seems to be recognized because when I press the Caps lock key, the caps lock status changes as shown on the screen. But when typing the letters and numbers that make up my password, all characters are ignored and no input is shown. The mouse works, however. But I am unable to log in. And it does not allow me to display an on-screen keyboard to type on.

The installation is on an Apple iMac using Boot Camp, but I have connected both an Apple wireless keyboard as well as a run-of-the-mill Logitech USB keyboard, and while both are recognized due to some keys like Caps lock and Escape working, I cannot do a password entry.

Any ideas, anyone?

Saturday, September 15, 2012 2:31 AM

Answers

• Thanks. The situation was that I could access the password entry field by clicking my mouse on it, but whatever I typed on the keyboard was ignored.

But I think I have fixed it. I had Logitech SetPoint, version 6.32, installed in the prior Windows 7. Windows 8 doesn't seem to like it. I couldn't run or uninstall it without errors, but I deleted the files in the Logitech folder, and also another shared folder. On re-boot, the keyboard started working fine again. I hope it is solved for good.

Apparently, Logitech needs to update their SetPoint software to work with Windows 8. It only cost me several hours of debugging. Thanks for the fun, Logitech.

Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:36 PM

All replies

• Try press Tab key and key in some words and press tab key and see if it select the password bar.

You have accessibility , in down left corner of screen and there you could chose on screen keyboard.

Saturday, September 15, 2012 3:59 AM
  • Thanks. The situation was that I could access the password entry field by clicking my mouse on it, but whatever I typed on the keyboard was ignored.

But I think I have fixed it. I had Logitech SetPoint, version 6.32, installed in the prior Windows 7. Windows 8 doesn't seem to like it. I couldn't run or uninstall it without errors, but I deleted the files in the Logitech folder, and also another shared folder. On re-boot, the keyboard started working fine again. I hope it is solved for good.

Apparently, Logitech needs to update their SetPoint software to work with Windows 8. It only cost me several hours of debugging. Thanks for the fun, Logitech.

Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:36 PM