none
NVIDIA netorking controller driver issue RRS feed

• Question

• After "upgrading" an HP Pavilion GX611AA PC (runnning 32-bit Vista Home Premium) to SP1 the system does not detect a network adapter.  Device Manager claims that the NVIDIA nForce networking controller is working properly.  Windows Network Diagnostics reports "The network adapter 'NVIDIA nForce networking controller' is experiencing driver or hardware related issues" and  adds "Make sure your Internet Protocol Bindings are correct"  (they are).  Obviously, with no 'net connection the troubleshooting wizard is useless.  Virtual PC 2007 is not installed on this machine.

A check of the NVIDIA support site drew a blank for driver updates for the controller. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem?
    Friday, May 16, 2008 5:35 PM

All replies

•  

Use Device Manager to Uninstall the Networking Controller. Then reboot.

On rare occasions, it may be necessary to do this from Safe Mode.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 5:42 AM
  • I did exactly you told, in first reboot it worked. I turned off computer in the evening and when I turned on in the morning again the same problem.
    Monday, May 19, 2008 7:09 AM
  •  

My earlier instructions should have been more precise.

In Device manager,

expand Network adapter,

rightclick on Network Controller, use Uninstall.

Reboot.

This lets Vista rediscover the device and reinitialize it.

--

Also you can try Properties. Driver Tab. Update Driver

Choose Browse.

On my PC there is a Microsoft Driver and an Nvidia Driver.

If you have both, you can try the other one from the one you are running now.

--

What do you mean by" turn off, turn on"? Are you using Sleep mode?

Some PCs have problems coming back from Vista Sleep Mode.

--
    I've found may times that getting Window to behave with hardware/driver issues, it may take two or three "shots" (i.e. fix and reboot)  to get Window to stabliize. Then it starts working correctly.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:44 AM
  • OK. Here's what I have done:

With an administrator account, I've uninstalled nVidia Network controller driver from Device Manager.

Rebooted computer

Windows found and installed the driver. - Everything worked fine.

In the evening, when I was going to sleep, I turned off the computer. - Not sleep or hibernate or stand by.

Start Menu -> Shutdown Computer

In the morning, in order to continue working, I turned on the computer.

The nVidia network controller in device manager "Working perfectly" In network manager "Isn't working"

My chipset is nForce 570 SLI

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:46 AM