none
Update error codes 8007371b or 80073712. Some Windows 7 updates won't install. In-place upgrade fails at 70%

Question

• I've a customer whose Win 7 Home 64 bit won't install all the updates. He's got a list of ~24 updates that, when installed, results in error code 8007371b or 80073712. 

I've successfully run the following:  SFC, AntiMalwarebytes, Update System Readiness Tool, MS Fixit 50123, MS Fixit 8025769253168492.4.1 (which said it found 2 errors and fixed them (but it didn't really). Curiously, when I ran this util in Safe Mode, it reported back that two errors were found but only one could be fixed. 

Booted in Safe Mode and also in Clean boot. Still could not successfully install the updates. The Windows Update troubleshooter was run but it too didn't fix the problem.

Did an in-place upgrade using the X15-65733 file. The process was halted at 71%. The error message was "Not enough disk space. Previous version will be restored. Free up disk space and restart upgrade." (Chkdsk reports 835,178,488 KB available on disk.) Curiously, the customer stated that when he did the upgrade in December (he used the X17 ISO), it stopped at the exact same place (71%) and it appears it stopped at the same file (file 708,632 of 726,550 files). The installer was at the "Transferring files, settings, and programs" when it stopped.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, May 07, 2012 7:49 PM Moved to more appropriate forum (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Monday, May 07, 2012 5:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Based on the current situation, there are a lot of logs you need to check

For the failure of Windows Update,

1. Please refer to How to read the Windowsupdate.log file and check your Windowsupdate.log.

2. Please try to run this HotFix: Fix the problem with Microsoft Windows Update that is not working and see how it works.

3. Run System Update Readiness Tool and refer to How to fix errors found in the CheckSUR.log.

For the failure of In-place Upgrade,

1. I suggest to use the retail Windows 7 Installation Media or the image which provide by Microsoft officially.

2. Please refer to Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Vista setup log file locations to check setupact.log and setuperr.log under C:\Windows\Panther for detailed error information.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Thanks for your input. I will check the Windowsupdate.log file but unfortunately the customer is out of town for a few weeks. I will also run the suggested FixIt tool. I have run the MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.82257088757747034.2.1 as well as the MicrosoftFixit.wu.MATSKB file. (I think I ran an updated version of one of these files.) When I ran the tools, it reported it had fixed 2 problems but the problem still remained. I remember checking the CheckSURlog but found no clues to the errors.

When the customer runs the in-place upgrade and it fails, he's presented with boot-up options including a rollback option. When he chooses this, however, it reboots itself. Consequently, he has to do a complete disk image restore. There is no chance to view any logs such as the setupact.log and setuperr.log.

You also mention that he should use an official Microsoft Win 7 media. At this point, should it be with or without SP1? (His update problem is stopping him from installing SP1 on his computer.) BTW, the customer had been in contact with Microsoft tech support, paid for a media disk, and received one with SP1, but he wanted it without SP1. I have the incident number if you'd like.

Thanks again.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:34 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, the Windows 7 SP1 installation media cannot be used to perform an In-place Upgrade.

Reference: How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Based on the current situation, I suggest to contact technical support again for help.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:31 AM
  • I've emailed tech support twice but have yet to receive a response.

Can you nudge them? The case number is SRX 116 192 460 71D. The customer paid for a Win7 media disk without SP1 but instead received the SP1 version. (According to the Technet forum, an in-place upgrade cannot be performed with SP1.) The customer was so disgusted he dropped the matter and even though tech support promised to fix the problem, he never heard back from them.

Thanks for your input.

Friday, May 11, 2012 10:55 PM
  • Hi,

Please contact the technical support again.

Also, you can contact Microsoft via http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support.

Regards.

Jeremy Wu

Monday, May 14, 2012 10:01 AM
  • I contacted tech support (well, actually the sales department because I couldn't get a chat option to tech support) and was told to call and have them remotely take a look at the computer.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update. If you have further question, please feel free to let us know.

Regards.

Jeremy Wu

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:05 AM