none
Windows 7 cannot boot after memory upgrade

Question

• I am using a 32 bit windows 7. I recently upgraded my memory from 1gb to 2gb.

Previously, I had a pair of 512 mb. Then, I added another pair of 1gb ram.

At the fist time I booted up windows 7, I could go to log in page and enter my password, then, I got a blue screen and restart. After that, I got blue screen or restart at the starting windows page, not even get to the log in page.

I can start my dual boot windows xp on the other partition just fine.

Do you have any idea what might causes this?

My previous pair of rams were DDR2 667.

The new one I bought said DDR2 667 as well on the packaging, however it shows as DDR2 800 when I checked it using SIW in windows xp. W
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

At this point, please modify the Memory frequency in the BIOS first, please make sure the frequency is 667MH. In addition, you can try to boot the computer in the safe mode or boot the comptuer with one memory, then install the Chipset driver for our computer.

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Proposed as answer by gnelson440 Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, November 30, 2009 6:07 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:28 AM

All replies

• I suggest that you try a memory test. A popular one is Memtest86+:

http://www.memtest.org/

Create a bootable CD. It's OS independent.

There may be something weird going on with Win7, or it may simply be that XP has an easier time booting in the presence of memory errors. (That's not good. There's not much point in running Windows in the presence of memory errors.)

If your BIOS settings permit it, you may be able to get all of the DIMMs playing together if you manually set the RAM voltages and timings, rather than letting it be done automatically.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:40 AM
  • Hi,

At this point, please modify the Memory frequency in the BIOS first, please make sure the frequency is 667MH. In addition, you can try to boot the computer in the safe mode or boot the comptuer with one memory, then install the Chipset driver for our computer.

I hope this can help you.

John
    • Proposed as answer by gnelson440 Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, November 30, 2009 6:07 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:28 AM
  • I had the exact same symptoms, including the xp dual boot. My motherboard is a 3 year old Asus m2n32-sli Premium. I upgrade the bois to the current level and the problem was corrected.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:57 PM