none
UAA Bus HD audio driver

Question

• Have been going round in circles trying to install Realtek Audio drivers on a new hard drive. I'm asked by the Intel CD to install the MS UAA hotfix before installing the Realtek drivers. I have downloaded this from Intel, the motherboard vendor. But where do I install this fix so it's recognised and Realtek driver install can proceed? Thanks for any assistance.

Friday, August 15, 2008 2:16 PM

Answers

•  pantechnicon wrote:
    Other Devices has disappeared and the problem marked by ' ! ' is now Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus under Sound, Video & Game Controllers.

That is significant progress.  Now all we have to do is to get the drivers for the device itself to install.  In Device Manager, go to the "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus", right click and select Properties, tab "Details", and with the drop-down set to "Device Instance id", please copy out the data field, and paste it into a follow-up here.

Friday, August 15, 2008 7:55 PM

All replies

• KB888111 is the MS hotfix and you should just install like any other hotfix. Once the fix is installed you should be able to see it in Control Panel-> System-> Hardware-> Device Manager. Expand 'System Devices' and you should see 'Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio' listed.

• Proposed as answer by jistinlin Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:30 PM
    Friday, August 15, 2008 2:56 PM
  • No, Maurice, that is not correct.  KB888111 will not install under SP3, and nor should it, because SP3 already includes the HD Audio (UAA) bus support that is part of KB888111.  SP3, however, does not include any drivers for individual HD Audio devices, which need to be provided by the hardware manufacturers or OEMs.

It appears that some of these hardware/OEM manufacturers have packaged KB888111 with their driver installer, which now fails to install under SP3, because KB888111 chokes.

pantechnicon, you should be able to switch on SP3's built-in support for the UAA bus by right-clicking

C:\WINDOWS\inf\hdaudbus.inf

and selecting "Install".  Please note that "C:\WINDOWS\inf" is a hidden folder, and you first need to turn on the viewing of hidden files and folders in control panel "Fodler Options", tab "View".

After that, you should be able to install your Realtek HD Audio device drivers, as they will deetct the presence of the UAA bus.

Please report back on this, as I cannot verify these instructions directly, as I have no access to any HD Audio device.  We need to understand what works and what doesn't, and your feedback is essential.  Thanks in advance.

• Proposed as answer by jistinlin Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:30 PM
    Friday, August 15, 2008 4:23 PM
  • Thanks rdhw, will let you know how I get on.

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:43 PM
  • OK. Some of the recommended actions worked - but the result is still failure.

I had uninstalled SP3 but after your briefing reinstalled it (takes ages!)

Next, I activated hdaudbus.inf in the Windows folder

Then I checked in Device Manager and MS UAA bus driver was now installed

BUT Other Devices showed a '?' for Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus (Location 65535). Message: This device is not configured correctly (Code 1) - Reinstall Driver.

I inserted the Intel MBoard/Drivers CD & clicked reinstall. The Wizard found a Realtek driver and began transferring files but then stopped and failed to install with Message: The device's co-installer is invalid.

I tried to run Realtek Audio drivers from the CD anyway, but it failed as it has always done so far.

N.B. Many times since starting all this yesterday a Wizard pops up claiming new hardware - a PCI device - has been found which it wants to install. It searches on the Intel CD but always fails to find what it wants. I believe the other device (Location 65535) has now taken over this role as the hardware needing but unable to install.

Rechecking Device Manager before sending this post - Other Devices has disappeared and the problem marked by ' ! ' is now Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus under Sound, Video & Game Controllers.

Over to you ... ?

Friday, August 15, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  pantechnicon wrote:
    Other Devices has disappeared and the problem marked by ' ! ' is now Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus under Sound, Video & Game Controllers.

That is significant progress.  Now all we have to do is to get the drivers for the device itself to install.  In Device Manager, go to the "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus", right click and select Properties, tab "Details", and with the drop-down set to "Device Instance id", please copy out the data field, and paste it into a follow-up here.

Friday, August 15, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Here you go:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0662&SUBSYS_18490662&REV_1001\4&1F1965FE&1&0001

Friday, August 15, 2008 9:18 PM
  • Realtek posted new drivers on August 11th for their HD Audio devices, including yiour one.  Please try to download from

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

and use this installer instead of the one on the CD.

Friday, August 15, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Many thanks for your research on this. Regarding installation, often there is no installation wizard with downloads, I figure it best to select run from the website then leave destination blank on installing so it goes to wherever it thinks best. I will go to Realtek now.

Friday, August 15, 2008 9:53 PM
  • I've downloaded the driver from Realtek and tried to follow the obscure installation instructions - but installation failed!

Installation instructions are:

Step 1. Before installing the Realtek HD Audio Drivers, Press the
            [Cancel] button if Windows detect the Multimedia Audio device.

Step 2. Insert the "Realtek HD Audio Drivers" CD into the CD-ROM
            drive and run the setup.exe program to finish the installation.

Step 3. Click on [Next/OK/Go] to continue the procedure. If the Windows popup
            "Digital Signature Not Found" message, press [Yes] to continue the
            installation.

Step 4. Finally, select to restart the system and press [Finish] to complete
            the installation. 

The system will reload the drivers and do some adjustments in the INF
            file if so required.

I'm not sure in this description when they are referring to the CD and when to the downloaded executable file.

I missed running the CD the first time I tried to install the file. Second time I ran the Audio Drivers section of the CD hoping it would pick up on the file. But both ways failed.

Any ideas?

Friday, August 15, 2008 11:37 PM
  • pantechnicon, do not use the CD at all.  You have just downloaded fresh drivers from Realtek: you should use the downloaded drivers only.  Ignore the packaged instructions which assume that those drivers are supplied on a CD.

To advise further, we need to understand what you mean by "failed".  Please quote verbatim messages.

If you have no luck running the main WDM_R201.exe, then:

- either download the ZIP version, and unzip it;

- or use 7-zip to unpack WDM_R201.exe into its unzipped version.

Inside the unpacked folders, navigate to inside the folder WDM, and execute the file "RtlUpd.exe".

Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:32 PM
  • Hello again. I've just tried double-clicking RtlUpd.exe but its asleep and doesn't stir.

Can I say that I now have two folders containing Realtek files:

C:\WDM, which contains a number of Realtek files (they may all be Realtek?) including the RtlUpd.exe

C:\Windows\Prefetch, which contains the new Realtek Audio driver download WDM_R201.exe but with a final extension of .pf

It may be the WDM folder is the unpack of the exe.file?

I will copy any failure messages, but failures so far have been signposted by onscreen failure to install windows.

Further advice?

Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:22 PM
  • Stay away from C:\Windows\Prefetch.

If the newest files in C:\WDM are dated August 2008, then they are the right ones.

Try starting in Device Manager.  Select your Audio device (which probably has a yellow exclamation mark), right-click and select "Update Driver..."

If it asks you whether it can go to Windows Update, select "No, not this time", then "Next".

At next screen. choose "Install from a list or specifric location (Advanced)", then "Next".

At next screen, choose "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install", then "Next".

At next screen, click "Have Disk", click "Browse" and navigate your way to C:\WDM.  Here the browser will display a collection of .inf files.  Here you really need to know which Realtek device you have, and select the appropriate one, but just for now, choose any one at random, click "Open", then click OK.

The Hardware Update Wizard should now present you with a list of compatible drivers for your hardware audio device.  Choose the one for your Realtek device, then "Next", and follow on-screen instructions.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Update driver did not operate so used - Scan for hardware changes - to bring up New Hardware Wizard.

Don't search I will choose hardware to install - didn't operate, so I selected - Search for best driver in these locations - and entered C:\WDM. (FYI I've tried this before with same result). The wizard searchs then responds - Cannot install this Hardware ... because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.

In the WDM folder there are 38 files including:

Alcmtr.exe

Alcwzrd.exe

RtlUpd.exe

RtlUpd64.exe

RTLCPL.exe

RTKHDAUD.sys

and a lot of .inf files beginning with HD

Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:14 PM
  • There should be 42 files in the WDM folder of the Realtek installer 2.01, and the most recent ones should be dated August 2008.  Your C:\WDM folder might be a relic of your earlier CD installations.

I don't understand what you mean by "did not operate".  Can you be more specific, giving exact wording of messages.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 4:17 PM
  • I'm back again.

There are definitely only 38 files in WDM, that's Windows count and my own.

When I say 'did not operate' I mean literally that - I click on the action button and the small window jumps a millimetre but then does nothing with no reason given. Its like clicking on an apparent hyperlink that has no URL in the source.

That's all I can report.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 6:09 PM
  •  pantechnicon wrote:
    There are definitely only 38 files in WDM, that's Windows count and my own.

What date are they?

When I say 'did not operate' I mean literally that - I click on the action button and the small window jumps a millimetre but then does nothing with no reason given. Its like clicking on an apparent hyperlink that has no URL in the source.

That sounds as if the Windows installation is damaged.  I don't think there's much more I can help with if that's the case.  I assume that you have tried restarting Windows?  Aftre a restart, are you still unable to click "Update Driver" on any item in Device Manager?

Saturday, August 16, 2008 7:48 PM
  • If it helps, I can add that Add/Remove shows XPSP3 but with no size displayed. The original i386 file is in my downloads folder, but I can't tell if it's actually installed.

Also, I have a folder C:\MSHDQFE that contains a number of MS KB files - including KB 88811. I thought I had removed this hotfix file after installing it originally. Is it active or uninstalled?

Nothing more to report.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Just missed your last reply.

Now I look at WDM folder all files are March 2007 or earlier.

Perhaps I should add that I have transferred to the new drive a number of software Programs from my old hard disc, but nothing from Windows folder as this was dissed on the old drive.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Sorry ... re. can I use Update Driver in Device Manager after restart? Answer is no. However, beneath the Audio Device on HD Audio Bus item is Legacy Audio Drivers. Right click and select Update Driver works with this item, bringing up the Hardware Wizard. I've not proceeded further with Legacy Drivers. So I think Device Manager works OK.
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 9:10 PM
  •  

Use Windows Update and put this one to bed, already.
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Yeah, I'm getting tired of it too. But use Windows Update for what exactly?

Saturday, August 16, 2008 9:28 PM
  • For anyone still following this:

I've just downloaded a second version of the latest WDM files from Realtek in a zip file. The internal files are dated August 2008 unlike the first I downloaded.

This zip file is now on my desktop.

What folder should I extract it to?

Saturday, August 16, 2008 10:58 PM
  • ... and do I need to remove the previous WDM_R201 folders and files?

Saturday, August 16, 2008 11:35 PM
  •  pantechnicon wrote:
    This zip file is now on my desktop. What folder should I extract it to?

It doesn't matter - anywhere will do.

... and do I need to remove the previous WDM_R201 folders and files?

You can if you like - you don't need them any more.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:18 PM
  • WDM_R201 August 2008

Run Setup.exe

Realtek HD Audio Driver - Install Shield Wizard:

Install Realtek HD Audio Driver failure

Error Code: 0XE0000227

This with, and without, involving the motherboard CD.

SO I GIVE UP. ABSOLUTELY AND FINALLY. WHO NEEDS AUDIO ANYWAY

Sunday, August 17, 2008 10:01 PM
  •  pantechnicon wrote:
    Install Realtek HD Audio Driver failure

Error Code: 0XE0000227

If you Google "0xe0000227" you will find the fix:

1. In Device Manager, disable "UAA Bus HD Driver"

2. Then, if it allows you to, Uninstall "UAA Bus HD driver"

3. Try the latest Realtek HD Audio installer again.

Monday, August 18, 2008 2:53 PM
  • Sorry to but in but i have been trying to find a fix for the exact same problem. I have followed the details within this posting & I to am unable to remove the yellow Exclamation mark from "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus". any further help would be appreciated?

I have managed to disable the pesky thing but when I goto uninstall it I get the following error message:

"Failed to uninstall the device. the device may be required to boot up the computer"

Also it will not allow me to update the driver instantaneous nothing happens!

Regards,

Loose_Lips

P.S. Found the solution for this (Well for me anyway hope it works for others!)

The most common solution was this:

[start]
    open device manager

navigate down to &
    click "system devices" within device manager
    then disable "microsoft UAA bus driver for high definition audio"
    uninstall "UAA bus driver"
    make rescan devices (Note: Not all had this step. You may want to skip it.)
    install realtek driver with setup.exe within realtek driver files & bingo no errors reported!

by the way "the realtek driver includes the UAA driver too"!
    [end]

Hope this helps.

I am now going to use driverbackup util and back up all drivers to save having to go through all this trouble again!!!

CYA regards,

Loose_Lips

• Proposed as answer by varjuvaj Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:41 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Hello loose_lips,

Your answer was really helpful. the problem has really given me sleepless night...thanks again. what a wonderful way of getting issues resolved.

Regards,

ekene

Friday, August 29, 2008 9:10 AM
  • Your solution worked for me too! Many thanks!!!
    Saturday, September 06, 2008 10:43 PM
  • Did you ever resolve this problem.. I have been working on it for several days and no success.....

Monday, September 08, 2008 9:13 PM
  •  rdhw wrote:

No, Maurice, that is not correct.  KB888111 will not install under SP3, and nor should it, because SP3 already includes the HD Audio (UAA) bus support that is part of KB888111.  SP3, however, does not include any drivers for individual HD Audio devices, which need to be provided by the hardware manufacturers or OEMs.

It appears that some of these hardware/OEM manufacturers have packaged KB888111 with their driver installer, which now fails to install under SP3, because KB888111 chokes.

pantechnicon, you should be able to switch on SP3's built-in support for the UAA bus by right-clicking

and selecting "Install".  Please note that "C:\WINDOWS\inf" is a hidden folder, and you first need to turn on the viewing of hidden files and folders in control panel "Fodler Options", tab "View".

After that, you should be able to install your Realtek HD Audio device drivers, as they will deetct the presence of the UAA bus.

Please report back on this, as I cannot verify these instructions directly, as I have no access to any HD Audio device.  We need to understand what works and what doesn't, and your feedback is essential.  Thanks in advance.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:34 AM
  •  rdhw wrote:

No, Maurice, that is not correct.  KB888111 will not install under SP3, and nor should it, because SP3 already includes the HD Audio (UAA) bus support that is part of KB888111.  SP3, however, does not include any drivers for individual HD Audio devices, which need to be provided by the hardware manufacturers or OEMs.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:06 PM
  • I did exactly everything according to your instructions but the computer still tells me that I need to install UAA HD drivers before installing Realtek audio drivers. Where can I see that the UAA HD drivers have  been installed? I have Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 installed. Thanks. Pivos2
    Monday, March 02, 2009 3:56 AM
  • this has been an ongoing problem with "partial" UAA HD Audio support in Windows XP SP3 since SP3 does NOT include "generic" UAA HD audio drivers.  SP3 only includes the HD Audio Bus driver (hdaudbus.sys) file but NOT the audio drivers (hdaudio.sys, hdaprop.dll, hdashcut.exe & hdaudres.dll)

Check out the following sites on getting the Microsoft UAA HD Audio drivers to install and work under WinXP SP3:
    http://boredsysadm.blogspot.com/2008/03/windows-xp-sp3-and-microsoft-hd-audio.html
    http://www.myitforum.com/articles/47/view.asp?id=11714
    http://www.dashken.net/index.php?/archives/254-Windows-XP-SP3-RC-v3264-Does-NOT-Support-High-Definition-Audio.html

Hope any of those sites helps your situation.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:44 PM
  • I have a similar problem with the audio device on high definition audio bus but the id i have is different can you help me locate the driver so I can get audio back on my pc

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_198B&SUBSYS_104381F6&REV_1003\4&126DB3B9&0&0001

Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:57 PM
  • I've had issues for over a month.

I downloaded the driver and it wouldn't take so I went into the windows\system32\drivers\hdaudbus.inf

Normally we just select that directory, this time I double clicked on the file and it took it.  Now that I've rebooted the ! (bang) is gone and I'm not getting anymore errors or found new hardware.

Friday, April 01, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Well,

Open Regedit and go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows

Find CSDVersion Key
    Legend:

100 (hex) means its SP1
    200 (hex) means its SP2
    300 (hex) means its SP3

Change CSDVersion from 300 to 200 and Restart

Then install your drivers in peace and when done don't forget to return it back as it was. :)

Tested and 100% works, not my solution though, here is the source http://www.boredsysadmin.com/2008/03/windows-xp-sp3-and-microsoft-hd-audio.html , erpmanila3w shared the link but not every one click on links so i just thought of posting it here.

• Edited by POP3D Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:32 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:26 AM