none
Printer mapping using GPP

Question

• Hello

I have in several occasions experienced problems with the GPP print mapping feature. I receive the following error:

Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bc4 No printers were found.' This error was suppressed.

I have experienced this in a couple of different setups now, setups at different customers with different printers and both 2003 print servers and 2008/2008R2 print servers.

I create a GPO that maps printers based on AD group membership, I configure the GPP to "Run in logged-on user's security context (user policy option)" and "Remove this item when it is no longer applied" and I configured the needed AD group in the "Item level targeting" feature. Usually the GPP works at first logon, the printer maps correctly, but if I remove the user from the AD group specified in the item level targeting section, the printer is NOT deleted/removed and the error specified above appears in the event viewer.

For now I have reproduced this error message in setups at different customers and in my own test environment on RDS and Citrix XenApp 6 servers running 2008 R2/2003 R2 Service Pack 1. I have tried 3-5 different private hotfixes all aimed at different issues regarding print or GPP on 2008 R2, nothing has working so far.

Right now I am working on a new Citrix XenApp 6 server at a customer and I yet again have experinced the issue described above. I am current ly testing using on ly one printer, a Canon LBP6750 with a PCL5e driver.

Print server OS: 2008 R2 Service Pack 1

Citrix XenApp 6 server OS: 2008 R2 Service Pack 1

Both servers have all the latests updates installed, with the exception of Internet Explorer 9.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:49 AM

All replies

•  I have done several tests, no matter what I do the printer is never deleted unless the user deletes it manually. I am starting to think it is a bug in the CSE in Windows Server 2008 R2 as the above is working just fine i Windows 7 x64.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Howdie!

Can you turn on the CSE logging for the GPP Printers deployment? You can do that via Group Policy is System\Group Policy\Logging and Tracing.

Cheers,

Florian

The views and opinions expressed in my postings do NOT correlate with the ones of my friends, family or my employer.
    Sunday, May 01, 2011 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

Does this issue exist when you remove Citrix XenApp 6?

Brent
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, May 02, 2011 7:42 AM
  • Hello Florian

I have enabled the CSE logging for printers, the same error message is logged in the User.log file

Monday, May 02, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Hello Brent

I have reproduced the error on a 2008 R2 server running RDS and even a 2008 R2 server with no roles installed, only a member of the domain.

I have testet the same print mapping policy on a Windows 7 x64 client, no issues are logged on this computer.

Monday, May 02, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Brent

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Hello Brent

For now theres no need to escalate the issue any further. I have opened a support incident at Microsoft Premier Support and they are looking at some log files at the moment.

I'll get a call from them tomorrow, when they have looked through the log files.

I'll update you with any new information :)

Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Thanks

Brent

Monday, May 09, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Hello Brent

Yeah I have spoken with a couple of Microsoft guys from the Premier Online support and they have confirmed and reproduced the issue in their test environment. They are currently looking for a solution.

I'll get back with an update ASAP.

Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Did you ever get thus resolved?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:57 AM
  • I'm having a similar issue at a customer where I'm trying to deploy printers within a terminal server based on the clients IP address. (Also via Item Level Targeting). Can you please update this thread with the current status of this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Friday, July 15, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Buehler?
    Friday, September 02, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Hi Kasper

I have the same error and is really curious about your solution for this?

I'm getting it in a clean 2008 R2 terminal setup with no Citrix.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:15 PM
  • I'm having exactly the same issue - also XA6.....is there no update to this problem??

Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Please reply! A lot of people has your same problem!

MB
    Friday, December 02, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Scenario: Trying to deploy Printers via Group Policy Preferences and are experiencing an issue where new users logging into a machine are not having their default printer set. If you run “gpupdate /force” while logged in or log out/in to the machine again the default printer is set correctly.

Error Received:
    Event ID: 4098
    Source: Group Policy Printers

Steps Taken:
    - Tried setting the GPP to Create, Update, Replace mode
    - Tried creating the printer first, then updating with the Default Printer option checked
    - Tried one printer by itself, one policy by itself, etc.
    - Tried FQDN and Printer Share Name in the preference
    - Applied Hotfix: KB2457866: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2457866

Tried many of the steps and suggestions on these sites as well:

- http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/f5a64732-8c2f-459c-a4db-0937a3d50533#4addbb55-9fe7-4267-abcc-1af24df7ffc0

- http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/b9925941-cacc-487d-9bbc-7030b7185477/#764d1c26-3587-41db-9ae9-3c2db7a4be7a

- http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:t2IV8VdzUCAJ:www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/File_Servers/Active_Directory/Q_26220975.html+0x80070709+%22The+printer+name+is+invalid&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

- http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/4979f1a9-f54e-4c5f-8199-c98315dc53cc
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

We are experiencing the same issue.

SBS 2011 and 2008 R2 with RDS services.

3 Printers deployed from GPO mapped on AD group membership.
    GPO is: User Configuration->Prefs->Control Panel Settings->Printers->Shared Printers
    Settings are: Action:Update, 1 default printer, 2 printers just mapped with \\server\printer.

Policy is applied onto both 2008 R2 and a variety of XP and W7 clients.

To me this is totally random - suddenly 1 or 2 of the printers are missing - sometimes they all are gone, just to show up again on login or reboot or gpupdate.

Error given in eventlog is:
    The user 'PR2' preference item in the 'Drive_Printer Map {078BE446-D720-4909-8B14-71A344468583}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bc4 No printers were found.' This error was suppressed.

Funny things is - same policy also maps different drives - however none of the drives ever fail to get mapped.

Please advice - Our customer is getting quite unhappy with the missing printers.
    If we don't get a solution fast, we have to turn back to old fashioned loginscripts...

Thanks 

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Hi.

I have 2 servers with the same issue also. I have now removed all GPO's setting printers with preferences. I have installed the hotfix kb2457866. I have also deleted all printers on the RDS server from registry. When I now logon to the server, I just get an information that everything is OK.

If I then add a printer with GPO, KIX or by exploring the printserver and adding it I get a new info stating that the printer is installed.

When I log out and in on the server I get the 602 error again....

Same if I add a Xerox or an HP printer.

I have also removed all printdrivers under the management and got the latest driver from the print server. The HP uses PCL5 5.4 released desember 2011. Same issue with 5.1 and 5.2.

Also, both RDS servers generate .tmp files under system32. 2-3000 files in a month. Seems like a driverfile, and is related to print. Anyone else got this?

Monday, January 16, 2012 10:18 PM
  • Same problem here!  When I try to apply the following hotfix it says it's not valid?  I'm running 2008R2.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2388142

• Edited by SAC5180 Monday, January 16, 2012 10:33 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 10:20 PM
  • Hello,

any news about this? We have same problem. error occurs sometimes. 0x80070bc4 with gpp printers.

Gpupdate /force helps. Error occurs sometimes.

Is there a hotfix or workaround available?

Regards

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Same situation for us ?

Any news, did Microsoft ever checked at this ?

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Same problem here.

Printers get mapped, but not set as defaut.

Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bc4 No printers were found.' This error was suppressed.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Gents,

We did not resolve this - tried everything from changing drivers, creating completely new policies etc.

Nothing helped, so we had to go back to using script.
    Mapping the printer 100% locally will also solve this, however this is not useable in bigger setups.
    I would really wish that MS would give this some attention since alot of people have this issue - that many people can't all be doing it wrong I guess...

Having setup more than 100 SBS2008 servers, we have NEVER had any issue with print mappings via GPO - guess this is going in the wrong direction since SBS2011 cannot?!

Thanks

• Edited by Lassen_Nyit Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:28 PM typos
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Hi to everyone. I'm constantly in contact with Support Technical Service. Our case number is 111121530930428. After 3 months of analisys, they didn't find any solution yet. I keep you up to date.

Regards,

Michele

MB

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Hi to everyone. I'm constantly in contact with Support Technical Service. Our case number is 111121530930428. After 3 months of analisys, they didn't find any solution yet. I keep you up to date.

Regards,

Michele

MB

Great Michele, please keep us updated!

/Jørgen

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Hello All

I am sorry I have not reported any updates to this thread, I had forget all about its existence :(

During March 2011 I opened a support case at Microsoft regarding this issue. To make a long story short - Microsoft admits that there is a bug in 2008 R2, which is NOT present in Windows 7. The bug affects GPP mapping of printers, which in short means that you cannot use the "Replace" option i GPP printer mappings.

During January 2012 Microsoft closed the case and had not presented any solution to the issue.

They have presented a workaround though, which is to make a "Delete All" GPP and configure it with a priority number 1 in the same GPO that maps the printers via GPP.

I have implemented this workaround at a few customers and it seems to work OK.

I told Microsoft that I was not happy with not getting any "official" solution, but they still cloase the case informing me that they had presented me with a usable workaround. I was told that they had spend around 60 hours troubleshooting this case.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:17 PM
  • In my case this problem was caused by the configuration on the printserver. Some of the printers pointed to the same Port (Standard TCP/IP Port in my case).

I noticed that 'Control Panel\Devices and Printers' on the printserver didn't show all of my printers, and when refreshing it showed me different printers all the time (note: the printer count always stayed the same). It seems like there is some kind of limitation in the amount of printers that share a single port.
    The Print Management MMC does not have this problem and always shows all printers.

I duplicated all my ports and reconfigured my printers, so that every port is now only used by one single printer, and the problems disappeared:

• The 'Devices and Printers' cpl-applet now shows all of my printers
    • GPP printer mappings are now processed properly on my Win2008R2-RDS, and the warnings '0x80070bc4 No printers were found' are gone too.

Hope this helps in your environment as well.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Hi ,

I recently shifted all my drive and printer mappings to use group policy preferences. Here are some pointers:

1.) Use update instead of create.

I have found that this reduces the login times on my Windows 7 hosts. If the printer exists, then the GPO stops processing, if it doesn't exist, then it creates the printer connection.

2.) Use shared printers.

When you create the GPO for the printer preference, use a shared printer instead of a TCP/IP printer mapping. This greatly reduced login times as well.

For more read we print24.com provides you complete solution ..here we also offer business  printing services for print postcards , magazine printing, online poster printing etc.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:24 AM
  • try this:

reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider" /f

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:54 PM
  • try this:

reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider" /f

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers" is not a key that exists on my print server (Win2k8R2). Nor is there a key or value any where in my registry called "Client Side Rendering Print Provider". However there is an option on printers in the share tab to render print jobs on client computers - by default jobs are rendered on clients. Unfortunately disabling this function did not stabilize the printer mapping.
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:23 PM
  • Map the printer as a user preference - update (User Configuration\preferences\control panel settings\Printers). And, in the same policy, map the same printer by the same path in User Configuration\policies\windows settings\printer connections. So far this has been effective.
    • Edited by AndrewWiggin Friday, November 02, 2012 12:03 AM clarity
    Friday, November 02, 2012 12:03 AM
  • AndrewWiggin - Can you clarify the policy path:User Configuration\policies\windows settings\printer connections.  I'm not seeing Printer Connections under Windows Settings.  I'm managing GP from a WS08R2 server.  I just might be blind  :-)
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:26 AM

• AndrewWiggin - Can you clarify the policy path:User Configuration\policies\windows settings\printer connections.  I'm not seeing Printer Connections under Windows Settings.  I'm managing GP from a WS08R2 server.  I just might be blind  :-)

"Deployed printers"

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:18 PM
  • I found a solution that worked for me

If you have a look at the printers group policy and check the share path. I found the path as shown was not the real share path on my print server.

I changed the group policy path to match the print server path, tested with a user and all worked fine.

Rob

Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:29 AM
  • I had same problem as everyone else here. In my case the printers did never install on the server after login. 

My solution was to install the printerdriver manually (by mapping the printer through the administrator account towards the server).  The printerdriver couldn't install automatically and it was not previously installed on the Citrix/RDP servers. Now the printers appear, but I still see the error if I run a Group Policy Result Query.

Friday, March 22, 2013 1:23 PM
  • Hello Joel

That may be the "point-and-print restrictions" feature that prevents you from installaling printer-drivers.

The issue I have described in my initial post back in 2011 is still present in 2008/2008R2 and even 2012 and I have found a few workarounds the counter the issue.

If anyone is interested I can elaborate futher about the workarounds...

Friday, March 22, 2013 1:31 PM
  • I am very interested in your workarounds.  We have been using GPP (For over 10 years, it was a 3rd party product called Policy Maker back then) to set default printers via security groups in our Citrix sessions.  We are now updating from Server 2003R2 to Server 2008R2 and XenApp6.5 when this was found.  Our situation is that it seems to work fine the first time you log in, but will not update after that and throws event ID 4098.

Here is the error:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Group Policy Printers
    Date:          4/9/2013 10:54:25 AM
    Event ID:      4098
    Task Category: (2)
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      CTX01.domain.local
    Description:
    The user 'printer42' preference item in the 'Default Printers (Group Policy Preferences) {D0487B82-A03D-447B-954D-4142E3FF496D}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bc4 No printers were found.' This error was suppressed.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Group Policy Printers" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="34305">4098</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-04-09T17:54:25.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>8759</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>CTX01.domain.local</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>user</Data>
        <Data>pdx42</Data>
        <Data>Default Printers (Group Policy Preferences) {D0487B82-A03D-447B-954D-4142E3FF496D}</Data>
        <Data>0x80070bc4 No printers were found.</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

• Edited by AaronBWR Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:56 PM
    Tuesday, April 09, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Hello Aaron

The workaround I curently use consists of a powershell logoff script that disconnects all network printers during logoff. This ensures that when the user logs back on, the GPP printer mapping is running as it should setting the correct default printer.

I run the powershll script through a CMD file to circumvent any powershell execution policy that would eventually prevent the powershell from executing properly.

Feel free to download the script from my Skydrive :)

http://sdrv.ms/1529kaV

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Hello, I am new here but want to try to help.

In my company we had the same problem and it was firewall related.  windows 2008 and windows 7 combination uses RPC in addition printer printer ports,  we had to open dynamic RPC ports on our print server firewall before we were able to map successfully using GPP.  Windows 7 will try to map using RPC first and after 30 sec or so, it will fail and revert to normal printer ports, problem is that by then the GPupdate will stop trying and assume that printer is missing.  One way to check, is to go to \\printserver and double click on one of the printers, if you lag for 20+ seconds before it installs the printer, then the problem is firewall.

you can still manually install a printer and will work fine, but for it to be deployed using GPP you need to open RPC ports

I hope this helps

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:22 PM
  • Hey everyone.

We have been, as everyone else has, been fighting with this for some time.  I hate work-arounds, and just want Microsoft stuff to do what it says on the tin!  Our situation was as follows:

PrintServer 2008 R1 32bit
    Client Windows 7 Pro
    HP UPD Driver (Like this makes any difference)
    User Group Policy Preference Printers (Not computer, not 'Deploy')
    Mandatory Profiles for the logons, this bit is IMPORTANT, roaming worked fine.

I have found that a combinations of suggestions and solutions, here and other forums, (so your going to find this pasted elsewhere), resulted in a solution for us.  Any explainations as to why this has worked would be appreciated.

The following had to be true before our deployments worked everytime:

Printer share 'List in Directory'
    Printer security included 'Domain Computers'
    Group Policy Preference path to printer matched the SHARE, not the name
    Group Policy Preference NOT to run in logged on user
    Group Policy Preference Action is 'Update', not 'Create'

I may have missed some bits, so please let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:16 PM
  • I have the same problem as the initial one: printers are mapped but the default printer is wrong. Only after a manual gpupdate the right printer is default.

We're using Citrix XenApp 6 on top of win 2008 R2. Print server is also a 2008 R2. I found that if you delete all the locally installed printers on the TS/Citrix server (like "Microsoft XPS Document Writer", "OneNote 2010", ...) the problem is solved. At least, that worked for me ;).

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:07 AM
  • I'm seeing similar problems using GPP to map printers to Remote Desktop Services sessions - thanks to all for the suggestions on the thread, I will start to work through them.

Would anyone know of a definitive resource to learn about printing in RDS? A book, a blog, an expert that does training?

Friday, April 04, 2014 5:07 PM