none
Windows 8.1 WSUS clients stuck on 'checking for updates'

Question

• Hi IT folks,

I'm currently facing a 'weird' problem with my Windows 8.1 WSUS clients. Server OS WSUS clients are all reporting back to my WSUS server, but for unknown reason, Windows 8.1 WSUS clients are not. A few days ago, all WSUS clients are able to download both Windows Defender (WD) AV definitions and Windows Update, now only WD AV definition updates are successful.

WD AV definitions are auto-approve in WSUS, the rest are manually gets approved. I've already tried using Windows Update Troubleshooter and said it has fixed few problems - tried to check for updates, still gets stuck with 'checking for updates...'.

OS in my environment:
    WS 2012/2016 - working well both AV definitions and Windows Update
    W8.1 - only downloading of AV definitions is working

akosijesyang- the conqueror

• Edited by akosijesyang Tuesday, April 9, 2019 7:51 PM edit
    Saturday, April 6, 2019 11:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for late response. I was able to resolve this case myself.

Correction, it's not a bug on the OS, but on the patch itself - KB2919355.

I was able to pin the culprit by introducing a new machine in the environment, install patch one by one. After installing KB2919355, experienced the same problem.
    Steps I took to solve this case:
    1. Uninstall KB2919355 using cmd - wusa /uninstall /kb:2919355
    2. Restart machine
    3. Run built in Windows Update Troubleshooter
    3. Run on cmd - wuauclt /reportnow; wuauclt /detectnow
    4. Go to WSUS console, affected computer should able to report back and download/install updates

• Edited by akosijesyang Friday, April 26, 2019 2:57 AM wrong words
    • Marked as answer by akosijesyang Friday, April 26, 2019 2:59 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2019 2:56 AM

All replies

•  

Try deleting the SoftwareDistribution and then running this reset tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058.

Similar case:

https://superuser.com/questions/922261/windows-8-1-stuck-on-checking-for-updates

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 8, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Tried this method but unable to resolve my problem.

I think what I'm experiencing is a bug in W8.1 since that's the only OS version having this problem. I've introduced Windows 7 on the environment and was able to update it with all critical and security patches (WS2012 and 2016 as well).

I'll try to remove all installed patched from my W8.1 client and I'll get back here.

akosijesyang - the conqueror

Sunday, April 14, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Ok, we have not heard from you in a couple of days. Please post back at your convenience if we can assist further.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 26, 2019 2:42 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late response. I was able to resolve this case myself.

Correction, it's not a bug on the OS, but on the patch itself - KB2919355.

I was able to pin the culprit by introducing a new machine in the environment, install patch one by one. After installing KB2919355, experienced the same problem.
    Steps I took to solve this case:
    1. Uninstall KB2919355 using cmd - wusa /uninstall /kb:2919355
    2. Restart machine
    3. Run built in Windows Update Troubleshooter
    3. Run on cmd - wuauclt /reportnow; wuauclt /detectnow
    4. Go to WSUS console, affected computer should able to report back and download/install updates

• Edited by akosijesyang Friday, April 26, 2019 2:57 AM wrong words
    • Marked as answer by akosijesyang Friday, April 26, 2019 2:59 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Glad to hear this issue has been solved. Thanks for sharing, hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Friday, April 26, 2019 3:14 AM