none
Deploy and Remove Printers via GPO and Print Spooler RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to remove printers that I've previously deployed via Group Policy via our print spooler.

To deploy our printers I go through the "Deploy with Group Policy..." setup on the spooler, select my GPO and then choose 'per machine'.  The printers are deployed and everything works great.  For some of our printers I do security filtering on the GPO for certain groups (I remove Authenticated Users and then add it back in under the Delegation tab with Read permissions).

The trouble is I can't figure out how to remove these printers once they're deployed.  I've tried removing the computer record from the GPO security filtering and also tried removing the GPO listed under the 'Deploy with Group Policy' window on the spooler - nothing seems to work.  When I edit the GPO, there's nothing in there.  I feel like I'm looking for something along the lines of "remove this item when it is no longer applied", or something like that, but like I said there's nothing in the GPO to edit.

Friday, September 13, 2019 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

Before we go further, would you please help collect the information below?

1.Where are we configuring the policy of printer? User Configuration? Or Computer Configuartion?

2.Which of the following paths do we configure the printer's group policy?
      >>Policies>Administrative Templates>Printers
      >>Preferences>Control Panel Settings>Printers

3.Are we removing the entire group policy about the printer, or just deleting some of the printers in this policy?
      If we delete the entire group policy, then right click on the entry and select "Delete"or "Remove".

Appreciate your patience.

Best regards,
    Cynthia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 9:15 AM
  • Hi, thanks for the reply, hopefully this help clear things up:
    The printer is deployed using Computer Configuration.  When I deploy the printer via the printer spooler, and then view the 'settings' tab for the GPO, I see the screenshot below:

When I edit the GPO I find the printer here:

I'm leaving the GPO applied to the same OU and I'm not removing the printer from the policy.  What I am doing is removing some members (computer records) of the security group I have listed in the security filtering tab.  When I do that, the printer is never removed/uninstalled from the client computer.

Monday, September 16, 2019 6:30 PM
  • Hello,

Based on your last reply, we deployed the printer in Deployed Printer under Computer Configuration. We now want to remove some members of the security group through security filtering.

Based on my experience, we can remove the users from group apply in the GPO via ADUC.

For example, we link the GPO to ou”a, and we filter the G group from the OU and apply it to this GPO through security filtering and delete “Authenticated User”.

G group have five computers, but now we only apply three computers in this group, we can remove two computers from G group.

Hope the information can be helpful.
    And if there is anything else we can do for you, please free feel to post in the forum.

Best regards,

Cynthia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:44 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Thursday, September 19, 2019 1:47 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:50 AM
  • The problem isn't how to modify the membership of the security group, it's that when I remove members from the security group the printer isn't uninstalled.  If I add members to the group the printer is installed, but if I remove those members the printer stays installed.  These are all computer records.
    Monday, September 23, 2019 2:04 PM
  • Hello,

According to your description, we removed the computer from the security group, right?

In order to solve the problem effectively, we need to check if the printer's Group Policy settings are still applied.Based on my experience,if we removed the member of Security Group,there are no policy settings for the printer on the result.html of the removed computer.

Because it is a computer configuration, we can check the gpresult as below:
    1.Logon one client with domain administrator account.
    2.Create a new folder in C drive named Folder.
    3.Open CMD, type gpresult /h C:\Folder\report.html and click Enter.
    4.Open report file to check this folder redirection under Computer Configuration.
    5.check if the configuration of printer still exists.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,
    Cynthia 

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:55 AM
  • Hello,

Was your issue resolved? 

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best regards,
    Cynthia 

Friday, September 27, 2019 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

Monday, September 30, 2019 1:53 AM