none
Does anyone know how to open a Windows 8 VDHX Image file from a Windows 7 machine?

General discussion

• I purchased a Windows 8 machine and created a VDHX restore image file. It was copied to an external USB drive. The Windows 8 machine had problems and had to be returned. I am running Windows 7 currently and MUST open that VDHX WIN8 image file or I am screwed. There is critical client data in the image file. I suppose I can create a partition on WIN7 box and dual boot my machine, but would rather not. Win7 box is badly fragged all over and will take forever just to defrag and be able to create another boot partition.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Saturday, December 08, 2012 4:23 AM

All replies

• Going to give the following a try with VirtualBox 4.2.0. This version changelog is supposed to have ReadOnly support for VHDX files. Not sure if I can simply look at it or change attributes and make it work for me.
    VirtualBox Website Download & Changelog to view VDHX Image files.

VirtualBox 4.2.0 (released 2012-09-13)
    Storage: added readonly support for VHDX images

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog
    Saturday, December 08, 2012 6:16 AM
  • If all you need to do is read the VHDX file, it looks like VirtualBox will be able to do that.

Windows 7 had incremental defragmentation built into the operating system, so your system might not be as fragmented as you think.  By default, Windows 7 defrags on a weekly basis.  Of course, you can start up a manual defrag any time you want.  I found that the built-in defragger did an okay job, but there are more aggressive defraggers out there, often can be downloaded as a trial copy.

tim

Monday, December 10, 2012 1:49 PM