none
Hewlett Packard (HP) - hp psc 1315 all-in-one software will not install on Windows 7

Question

• Help! I am in the process of transfering my hp psc 1315 all-in-one printer from my Windows XP computer, to my new Windows 7 computer, but the software won't install:

"This software cannot be installed using the 'Run as...' command. The installation cannot continue until this is resolved. Required Action: Click Cancel to exit this software installation. Log off and then log on as a user with administrator privileges. (Contact your system administrator for more information.) If there is no system administrator, have the primary user of this computer install the software. Restart the installation by removing and re-inserting this installation CD."

I only have one user account (the one I'm using) and it is an administrator account, so I don't understand the problem. Why won't it install? The only thing I have tried is opening the files in Internet Explorer. Then I scrolled down to the "Setup" application, right-clicked and chose "Properties". Then in the tab "Compatibility" I believe I chose something like "Install as administrator" and then ran the setup, but still I get the same message.

Your help in this frustrating issue would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 9:40 PM

Answers

• When I went to that link, I chose the option that looked to see if I had the latest driver installed and it said that I did. I can now print and photocopy, but I can't scan and I don't have that program that comes with the CD something like HP ImageZone or something. I can't quite remember.

Point is the printer is functional, but the scanner is not...

Should I order the Cd- Software and Drivers for windows 7 and hope it will clear everything up?

You have to download the "Full feature Software & Driver" since it contains the HP Solution center (or HP Director) software needed for scanning. It is the same as the disc that you could order. I suggest you download it unless you want to pay for the disc.

Regards,
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:14 AM

All replies

• You need to download and install the HP PSC 1315 All-in-One Printer Software for Windows 7.  The software on your original HP disc is likely compatible only with Windows XP.
    Before installing the new software, turn-off power to your HP PSC 1315 and then begin installing the software.  The installation process will prompt you to turn the power back on later during installation.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, February 15, 2010 1:04 AM
  • When I went to that link, I chose the option that looked to see if I had the latest driver installed and it said that I did. I can now print and photocopy, but I can't scan and I don't have that program that comes with the CD something like HP ImageZone or something. I can't quite remember.

Should I order the Cd- Software and Drivers for windows 7 and hope it will clear everything up?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:15 AM

You have to download the "Full feature Software & Driver" since it contains the HP Solution center (or HP Director) software needed for scanning. It is the same as the disc that you could order. I suggest you download it unless you want to pay for the disc.

Regards,
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:14 AM
  • In general, HP is going to have the best information on drivers and compatibility for an HP device.  On something like the Windows 7 forums, you sometimes get lucky and find someone who has experience with that device.  (Looks like Carey is familiar.)  HP however is always supposed to know what's up and I think even has an online tech support chat system for immediate help.

BTW sometimes you have to take extra steps to enable the service that listens for scanner button events.  If it's a network printer, you might have to work with your firewall to make sure the events get through.

I know for my all-in-one Epson, the scanner part took a little bit of work.
    • Proposed as answer by gpj-pc Monday, December 23, 2013 1:50 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Hi,

Slimzky is right. If you want to use the full feature of your printer, you need to install the HP Deskjet and Officejet Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Before installing it, I would like to suggest you uninstall the previous installed printer driver.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:26 AM