none
Can't burn any CDs or DVDs with Windows 7, but CAN read them.

Question

• Using Windows 7 RC 7100, and I haven't been able to burn any discs since install. When I hop over to my dual-boot of XP, I can burn anything just fine, so I don't believe it's a hardware failure/configuration issue.

Using:
    • Samsung SH-S182M (Latest Firmware)
    • Asus NF7-S (nForce2 Ultra400 + MCP - T chipset)

I've tried the latest Nero, WMP, and Imgburn all to no avail. Imgburn's log gives me constant errors: "Failed to Write Sectors [Insert Sectors] - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)."

Also tried uninstalling IDE controllers and the drive itself, then reinstalling, several times over. I'm out of ideas. :-(

Any help is appreciated.
    • Edited by Barracus Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:59 PM
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 10:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Barracus,

In fact, I cannot find any information about the optical drive, Samsung SH-S128M from Samsung website and Windows 7 Compatibility Center.

You had better contact Samsung Support to check if this model is compatible with Windows 7 and is there any update available for Windows 7.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please go to link below and try the fix for vista,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Slan go foill, Paul
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 12:36 AM
  • I tried removing the filters as suggested and I'm still having the same issues. I should also mention that burning doesn't work with explorer's burning interface either.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 12:54 AM
  • Could be the drive is toast, try a new drive.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 1:30 AM
  • Could be the drive is toast, try a new drive.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

It works totally fine when I switch over to XP; I can burn both DVD's and CD's when using XP.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Try looking for a new chipset driver. What are you using to burn media with?

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 2:12 AM
  • Hi Barracus,

I would like to suggest you uninstall all the burning software such as iTunes, Nero, Roxio and Zune, and then use the Windows 7 built-in one to check the issue.

If it still cannot burn, I also would like to suggest you perform the following steps to check the issue.

Change the Transfer Mode

==================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Search box and press Enter.

2. In the Device Manager, expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"

3. You might see several “IDE Channel” items. Double click one of them, click the Advanced Tab. In Devices, can you see the “ATAPI Cdrom”? If you cannot, please check another “IDE Channel” item.

4. If you find it, please uncheck the “Enable DMA” option in the Advanced Tab.

5. Click OK and restart the computer to check the issue.

You may also try to use a SATA to IDE adapter to check if it works under Windows 7.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Hannu_Fin Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:22 PM
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 6:15 AM
  • Try looking for a new chipset driver. What are you using to burn media with?

I believe I am using the latest chipset drivers. Unfortunately, my mobo appears to be a bit old; Nvidia is no longer releasing new chipset for drivers for nForce2, and Asus hasn't released anything for Windows 7. Everything else works fine though; I find it strange that it can still read media, just not write. =\

Hi Barracus,

I would like to suggest you uninstall all the burning software such as iTunes, Nero, Roxio and Zune, and then use the Windows 7 built-in one to check the issue.

If it still cannot burn, I also would like to suggest you perform the following steps to check the issue.

Change the Transfer Mode

==================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Search box and press Enter.

2. In the Device Manager, expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"

3. You might see several “IDE Channel” items. Double click one of them, click the Advanced Tab. In Devices, can you see the “ATAPI Cdrom”? If you cannot, please check another “IDE Channel” item.

4. If you find it, please uncheck the “Enable DMA” option in the Advanced Tab.

5. Click OK and restart the computer to check the issue.

You may also try to use a SATA to IDE adapter to check if it works under Windows 7.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    I tried both suggestions, both lead to the same conclusion: When I click "Burn to disc" in Explorer after I've added the files I wanted, it acts like it's loading for 1/2 of a second and then does nothing. This happens consistently, even after multiple clicks. I tried after first uninstalling all burning software and restarting, then after unchecking "Enable DMA" for ATAPI CDrom and restarting.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 1:10 PM
  • Hi Barracus,

In fact, I cannot find any information about the optical drive, Samsung SH-S128M from Samsung website and Windows 7 Compatibility Center.

You had better contact Samsung Support to check if this model is compatible with Windows 7 and is there any update available for Windows 7.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:15 AM
  • There might be a BIOS update that corrects any problems. I am refering to the one on the DVD drive.

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:36 AM
  • Thanks for the responses guys, I'll check with Samsung when I get home from work tonight, along with any possible BIOS updates. Looking quickly at the Windows 7 Compatibility Center, I also cannot find SH-S182M; however, SH-S182D is listed as compatible for both Windows 7 32 and 64 bit. While technically not the same model, the only difference I could find between the two is that mine (SH-S182M) supports lightscribe -- it seems odd that one would be compatible and not the other, seeing as they were released in the market at the same time. I'll update this post with any feedback from Samsung.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:52 AM
  • Search for "SH-S182M firmware" with your favorite tool.

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:08 AM
  • Search for "SH-S182M firmware" with your favorite tool.

Updated to the latest firmware, same problems. =\ Can't seem to actually find the model in the drop-down list in their 'Contact Us' form for support... which is odd, because they have the product listed on their site under the support section. I'm thinking of just reformatting and seeing if that solves the issue, but I'd rather get this resolved first, so I can wipe both partitions clean, merge them, and then just use Windows 7. Not comfortable doing that till I know I can burn with it, though.

Edit: Actually, they don't even have it listed in the support section of their site either. Grrrr.
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:54 PM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Samsung%20SH-S182D%20DVD%20Burner&v=Samsung&uid=SH-S182D&pf=0&pi=3&s=SH-S128&os=32-bit

The standard version of the drive, SH-182D is listed as compatible; no listing for SH-182M (mine, which has lightscribe), though. :-(
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Hi Barracus,

Have you confirmed this issue with Samsung Support?

Do you have another DVD-RW to test the issue?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:34 AM
  • Hi

I am having the exact same problem. My Liteon LH20A1S suddenly stopped writing optical media. Reading still works fine and I see the drive in the device manager. It's a SATA device.

The filter solution didn't work. I still can't burn. The error with Win 7 native burning function says that I need to free more space on the disc. CD Burner XP doesn't find the drive at all.

It can't be a hardware issue since I was able to burn until recently. It is highly likely that a patch installed with Windows Update interferes. But which one?
    Friday, December 11, 2009 6:14 PM
  • As I keep saying, optical disks do not last all that long. Try another drive and see if that works. I have several around here as I bought a few spares.

Friday, December 11, 2009 10:12 PM
  • It wasn't the drive. I managed to get it working by installing a third party burning software. Windows' own burning function is very buggy. It said it had erased the disc but obviously this was wrong.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:15 PM
  • It wasn't the drive. I managed to get it working by installing a third party burning software. Windows' own burning function is very buggy. It said it had erased the disc but obviously this was wrong.

Hi guys

I am have exactly the same troubles as Barracus and Klie1

Have tried 3 new drives and updated all to latest firmwares, tried a pioneer, samsung, and now a LG

Have tried to burn with explorer, nero, imgburn and LGs own bundled software

Have tried Sony, TDK, Verbatim dvds and various cd's

Everything works fine, 2 sata hard drives, and one burner but just cant burn a thing.

When i done a clean install everything was good, but since windows 7 has done many updates its all gone pear shaped, i really think its an update buggered everything up, but what one?

Any help would be great, im even thinking of a new pc as this has been going on a couple of months and ive had enough.

Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Please,please if anyone finds a solution please post! It is not the drive (unless there is lack of an updated driver available). My drive was working fine until I installed Windows 7 (clean install). 2 hours of tech support ended in them throwing up their hands and saying look for an updated driver. There is none available that I can find and HP does not support Win 7 for my computer.

I have seen several posts across the internet with this problem- different computers and different drives, and so far no solutions that work.

If you have solved it with a burning software, could you post which one? (Other posts elsewhere suggested that and it still didn't seem to fix the problem)

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:03 AM
  • hey every1,

javafreek try this, might help.

1. Run gpedit.msc (Group Policy Editor) from Start Search.
    2. Expand Local Group Policy -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components.
    3. Select Windows Explorer.
    4. In the right pane, double click on Remove CD Burning features.
    5. Select "disabled" radio button to stop and disable all features in the Windows Explorer that allow users to use their CD writer to burn, and ability to auto eject disc tray. Click OK when done.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:06 PM
  • This might help more than every thing else posted... this is for the devs. There seems to be a bug in W7 that keeps opening the following program 10000 times while trying to finalize a disc: wmpnscfg.exe

I am trying to close a disc now and there is 5 copys open. When I got bored last time there was about 20... 

Media Sharing is disabled.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:50 PM
  • 50 copies of wmpnscfg open that time.... WOW!!!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Sounds like a whole range of problems need resolution.

If that many processes are spawning, then backup and do a fresh install of Windows and look at the software you are using.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe I also am a true vegan and I am very good with economics and I used to play chess at 2400++
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Would be good to get to finalizing, cant get past 3%!
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Could be some program has messed with the cd writing engine

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe I also am a true vegan and I am very good with economics and I used to play chess at 2400++
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

Please go to link below and try the fix for vista,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Slan go foill, Paul

Worked for me (so far - just burned the first disc with Windows 7 on this system.. and been running Windows 7 on it for a year).

I had run WinXP on this system with no problems burning, but once Win7 was installed, all burns failed in multiple programs; Windows, NERO, and a few others... uninstalled drives, hardware/drivers, etc. Tried a new burner to no avail.  Then switched to another new burner while also switching from SATA to IDE; still failed in same manner.  Then tried USB with a USB to IDE adapter and also an actual external USB Lightscribe unit - all failed; in Nero where you could see the percentage burned, it would fail in the 20% area, usually around 24 to 28% range no matter if you were hooked up via SATA, IDE or USB.

I gave up on fixing it since I have 3 computers side by side, laptops, a computer in bedroom, living room and two more on table set up and ready to sell.. even some older 1 to 1.5Ghtz range systems full capable of burning anything I wanted (finding a place to burn was no problem). Was just the fact that I couldn't figure it out that was really bugging me over the past couple months. Stuck in the house on meds because of a torn back muscle, I figured I would finally sort it out.

Thnx artiste1 - that seems to have worked - tested the burned disc in a laptop I am working on and it plays perfectly (just hope it holds after a restart, which I will be testing soon).

(now just curious as can be what that tool actually did so I can do it manually in the future if needed.. it 'said' the drive was not recognizing the disc. Now if that was true, why would they ALL start burning 20+% of the DVD or CD discs?)

------

Update: works even after restart and plugging into different USB ports (not dug into the computer and hooked up the original SATA burner that matches it yet).. burned multiple discs and even a LightScribe with no problems.

• Edited by TheMega Sunday, February 27, 2011 2:48 AM Updating results
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Hi The mega,

I am glad that it worked for you.

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Hi,

I have similar kind of problem. I have HP pavillion dv4 laptop and the operating system was Windows 7 Home Edition.

I was able to read and write disks using the hp CDDVDW TS-L633M drive.

for my work, i have installed windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 ultimate dual operating system then onwards my drive is not able to burn the disks in both OS but i am able to read the disks from the drive.

I have tried all the options which were posted in the forums and support sites but no luck yet. I do not see upper or lower filters in the specified registry entries so could not able to identify the problem.

I have used the MicrosoftFixit utility but the result is it displayed as Drive is not capable of burning. I understand that the Drive is recognized as only reader not reader and writer.

I think we need to update the system files or registry to make it recognize as both reader and writer. Please let me know how to do it or any other solution if my assumption is wrong.

Thanks.

Mallik.

Monday, October 10, 2011 5:49 PM
  • I should reiterate that upgrading a portable is not the same as the desktop.

This is due to the use of nonstandard device ids etc

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint etc.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. My Page on SSD is now #2. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Monday, October 10, 2011 6:00 PM