none
Can't run the virtual machine - error - "reboot and select proper boot device"

Question

• after launching the virtual machine getting the following error: reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:45 AM

Answers

• Hi RonenToren,

What virtual machine do you use, Windows Virtual PC 2007 or Windows Virtual PC?

This error means that the virtual machine cannot find anything to boot from. It seems that you do not have any operating system installed on the virtual machine.

I would like to suggest you insert the operating system installation disk on your physical machine, and change to boot the virtual machine from disk.

After that, follow the installation wizard to finish the windows operating system installation.

For more information about Windows XP Mode, you may refer to the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:23 AM

All replies

• What virtual machine?  XP Mode?  Or did you create your own virtual machine?  If it is your own, you need to install an OS in the VM.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Hi RonenToren,

This error means that the virtual machine cannot find anything to boot from. It seems that you do not have any operating system installed on the virtual machine.

I would like to suggest you insert the operating system installation disk on your physical machine, and change to boot the virtual machine from disk.

After that, follow the installation wizard to finish the windows operating system installation.

For more information about Windows XP Mode, you may refer to the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:23 AM
  • I recently shut my computer down for updates. The next morning when i tried to start it up it gave me that message, Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. Nothing i have tried will let me get past that. The only boot disc i have is my windows 7 CD. i used that and when it started it couldnt find a driver to load. 

It seems like my driver has been erased from my system by an update possibly, or its just keeping it from loading. I was even gonna try redownloading windows but it wont let me do that because it says it needs some sort of boot file or something that i dont have. 

Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Check the boot order settings in your BIOS.  I have one computer that has lost the saved boot order a couple of times over the years.  Resetting the boot order to dvd first, hdd second, other devices after fixes it here.  I have no idea why it happens but it does, though rare.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:16 PM
  • It is set to Removable dev is 1st, my dvd drive second and hard drive 3rd. i switched the DVD drive to first and it still does it
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Ok, so im at the windows install screen and it is asking for a driver to install, but it cant find any.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Is it your host PC that is not booting up?  The thread is about a
    virtual machine, not the host.

If it is the host, make sure you don't have any USB devices plugged
    in, take the DVD out of the drive, and make sure there is no floppy in
    the floppy drive if you have one, then try rebooting.

If that doesn't work, you can get the driver from your PC manufacturer
    website, something for SATA, or RAID, but there's no way I can tell
    you what you need without knowing more.  PC manufacturer, model, how
    old...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    • Proposed as answer by zapper067 Saturday, March 05, 2011 12:21 PM
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Im not too smart about this stuff, all i really know is i had a windows update last night and i shut it down. When i tried to start my computer it wouldnt load anything. It probably is the host PC.

My computer is an Asus M2N68-AM SE2, it is about 3 years old. I use Windows 7 home edition, and i never had a problem with restarting til after i changed the power supply and graphics card. I was using a Nvidia geforce 9800 GT and switched to a geforce 450 gts, i dont know if that helps but i figured its some info i know so ill put it out there.

Sorry for posting about something off topic, i wasnt sure what to really do about it. This is my first time doing this.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:01 PM
  •  
    Is where the drivers are for your machine, you'll have to unzip them
    and put them on a USB flash drive and put that in the computer and
    then you'll be able to "Browse" to that flash drive and it should then
    load the drivers it needs.

If you're using RAID, the driver in the others category is the right
    one, if not RAID, the Chipset category should be the right one.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Is there any way to resolve this without the system installation disk? This is a feature of Windows 7 Professional. Why would I have an XP installation disk?  Isn't Windows 7 supposed to install the virtual image of XP anyway? I'm having this same problem.  I've installed the virtual machine files and followed the steps Here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx . When I had the problem the first time, I did a system restore and started over only to find that the problem still exists.  I have windows 7 pro 64 bit.  What are my options without having a CD?
    Monday, March 07, 2011 3:55 PM
  • @jdmnash1

Please don't hijack a thread.  Start your own.  Your issue may or may not be the same as the original poster's.  It gets too confusing to mix up threads.

Monday, March 07, 2011 4:43 PM
  • So I should start another thread even though my problem exhibits the exact same symptoms described here?
    Monday, March 07, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Yes.  You aren't talking about his problem.  You are talking about your's even though it looks the same to you.  The problem is that folks get confused about who they are replying to and a thread gets very confusing. 
    Monday, March 07, 2011 6:38 PM
  • I'm confused
    Monday, March 07, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Just start a new thread using the Ask A Question link at the top left of the page.
    Monday, March 07, 2011 7:39 PM
  • C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode\Windows XP Mode base.vhd

This file should have been added when you installed the xp machine.

Make a COPY of this and use it as the starting hard drive. 

The first time you start up it will configure your XP machine.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:00 PM
  • I just encountered the same error as in the OP.

My problem was that after installation completed, I opened the "Windows Virtual PC" in the "Windows Virtual PC" Program Group as my first step, and then used the "Create Virtual Machine" wizard. Seemed logical to me... but then I got the "Insert Boot Media" error. Apparently this is a manual process that assumes you want to create a new VM from scratch.

Then I realized I needed to open "Windows XP Mode" in the same "Windows Virtual PC" Program Group, just under the option above.

It worked fine and automatically created a Windows Virtual PC called "Windows XP Mode", which is all I wanted in the first place.

I just thought I'd post this in case someone else missed this simple step.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:10 PM
  • after launching the virtual machine getting the following error: reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"
    Having exactly the same problem.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:09 PM
  • Hi RonenToren,

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    RonenToren, did this work for you?
    • Edited by demalpica Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:10 PM typo
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:10 PM
  • I'm having the same error.   There are (3) options when starting the Virtual PC 2007 wizard.   1) Create a new virtual machine 2) Use default settings to create virtual machine and 3) Add an existing vitual machine.   Are you stating to use option 2?
    Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:19 PM
  • You need to install an OS in the VM.  Creating a new VM in Virtual PC does not install the OS.

It's better to start a new thread, if you need more help.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:14 PM