NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE INSTALLED....OR RED CROSS IN BOTTOM RIGHT HAND CORNER ON VOLUME CONTROL

General discussion

• YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DOWNLOAD ANYTHING OR SUBSCRIBE OR GO TO OTHER WEBSITES...THE SOLUTION IS HERE:

1. OPEN YOUR "CONTROL PANEL"...THEN OPEN "HARDWARE AND SOUND"
    2. LOOK FOR AND CLICK OPEN "DEVICE MANAGER"
    3. SCROLL DOWN TO '' SOUND,VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLER''
    4. RIGHT CLICK "SOUND VIDEO AND GAME OPTION"...THEN AN OPTION WILL COME UP SAYING..."SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES"...CLICK IT AND HEY PRESTO...YOUR SOUNDS AND VIDEO AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING!

ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT...NO DOWNLOADS OR CODECS OR FILTERS OR ANYTHING NEEDED!

HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL...ALWAYS SHOW APPRECIATION!

THANKX

Saturday, August 09, 2008 6:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for sharing. J

Monday, August 11, 2008 8:30 AM
  • Your welcome mate...cos this happened to me on loads of occasions...especially after installing a program and rebooting my system..left me frustrated for days and i come up with a simple solution... ;-)

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Please leave comments if you have or dont have any success with this solution as it helps others and i will see if i can hep you.
    thanks

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:05 AM
  • Hi there!!

I have some issues with the sound in Windows vista, I have the message "No Audio Output Device is Installed" I have tried everything driver for the manufacturer mother board ECS 915P-A  V1.1

Uninstall and install drivers and it did not work, I had before the audio working fine also with Vista but I had to delete the HDD and reinstall againg Vista, after installation now I have the sound issues

Also I tried to download the file KB937077 from Microsoft but I can not install this file, some how I do not know why?

Do you have any idea how to solve the issue of the audio

Thanks

Friday, August 22, 2008 3:07 AM
  • the solution is at the top of this page...read the instructions...and it should get sorted!
    or go to your control panel, then go to hardware then click on sound video game controllers....right click it and select scan for hardware changes....this will fix it....
    let me know what happens!

Saturday, August 23, 2008 7:43 AM
  • i cnt find hardware and sound???

Thursday, August 28, 2008 1:46 AM
  • Harware and sound is in your "control Panel" freind.
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:43 AM
  • i cnt find it n it just saysb NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE INSTALLED

fnxz

Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:10 PM
  • ok to make it easier for you...press the start menu button and in the search box at the bottom type in control panel...cant get easier than that. let me know how you get on.
    Monday, September 01, 2008 12:11 AM
  • fnxz mate i found it now

but now it sayin it cnt work (code 10)?? do u no anyfing?

Monday, September 01, 2008 5:42 PM
  •  

Hi there

I have followed the instructions that you have given but there has been no change, still no sound. Is there any other solutions that can be advised?

Mostly appricated

Kerrie

Monday, September 01, 2008 10:46 PM
  • To Kerrie and ADZ2008
    Post the details of ur pc (spec) and the error and ill have a look and get back to you a.s.a.p
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008 6:08 AM
  • I have tried that (scan for hardware changes) also and it did not work, it just says, the device can not start (code10)

what else can I do?

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 3:29 PM
  • try defragmenting ur hard drive, this may work....and after restart ur pc two or 3 times....
    Friday, September 05, 2008 10:33 AM
  • also try this...put ur pc to sleep about 2 times then turn back on...then restart....let me know how u get on m8..
    Friday, September 05, 2008 10:51 AM
  • I tried your solution and still have no audio and the red x in bottom corner ??????

Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:07 AM
  • ok try this...deffo should work...

scan the video sound and game hardware...scan for changes...then restart your pc

after restarting shut down ur pc...

load it up again and hopefully it will be fixed...

Saturday, September 13, 2008 10:29 PM
  • This worked for me.  But I think its because I have an HP.  I have tried about 5 drivers and this one worked.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:14 AM
  • This worked for me.  But I think its because I have an HP.  I have tried about 5 drivers and this one worked.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35501-36000/sp35684.exe
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:14 AM
  • Hi mate, I have a slightly different issue. Id like the volume displayed in my taskbar, for some reason it dissapeared ages ago. When i try to put it back on the taskbar by control panel > sounds,speech and audio devices > sounds and audio devices > volume > place volume icon in taskbar, I keep getting an error = ' Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the volume control program has not been installed, to install it, use add/remove programs in control panel.' 

Obviously iv`e tried looking there and i havn`t got anything to install, I would appreciate it if you could tell me where to get the Windows XP Volume control software (or whatever it is) from or how to resolve this problem, My pc was hit by a bad virus after an install which knocked out a *** of a lot of stuff including restore points,some files dissapeared, add/remove options missing and stuff like that, generally not things you would notice immediately but things you need quite urgently at times.

The help/support centre was also hit and now displays the following `Windows cannot find `helpctr.exe` Blah, blah,blah. This also seems to have magically dissapeared from the computer, any advice would be greatly appreciated, Many thanks.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:55 AM
  •  

this solutions for windows vistas..so dunno about xp...try uninstalling the driver n program...and then reinstalling it...thats the only thing i can recommend to you, do a clean reinstall and it should fix your prroblem...thanks
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:22 AM
  •  

I have an HP and this worked to after trying EVERYTHING!  Thanks STIMPS!
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 2:42 AM
  • I have a similar problem, Windows home vista, Toshiba satellite pro U305 with 2Gb of Ram.

Problem occurred after reactivating computer from hibernate.

Been to Device manager ad even the
    box for Sound, video, and game controllers is missing.

Have restarted numerous times the and still no audio output device is installed is shown

Following is information from registry:
    Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Audiosrv
    Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
    Last Write Time:   16/11/2007 - 16:57
    Value 0
      Name:            DisplayName
      Type:            REG_SZ
      Data:            @%SystemRoot%\system32\audiosrv.dll,-200

Value 1
      Name:            Group
      Data:            AudioGroup

Value 2
      Name:            ImagePath
      Type:            REG_EXPAND_SZ
      Data:            %SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted

Value 3
      Name:            Description
      Data:            @%SystemRoot%\System32\audiosrv.dll,-201

Value 4
      Name:            ObjectName
      Data:            NT AUTHORITY\LocalService

Value 5
      Name:            ErrorControl
      Type:            REG_DWORD
      Data:            0x1

Value 6
      Name:            Start
      Data:            0x2

Value 7
      Name:            Type
      Data:            0x20

Value 8
      Name:            DependOnService
      Type:            REG_MULTI_SZ
      Data:            AudioEndpointBuilder
                       RpcSs
                       MMCSS

Value 9
      Name:            ServiceSidType

Value 10
      Name:            RequiredPrivileges
      Type:            REG_MULTI_SZ
      Data:            SeChangeNotifyPrivilege
                       SeImpersonatePrivilege
                       SeIncreaseWorkingSetPrivilege

Value 11
      Name:            FailureActions
      Type:            REG_BINARY
      Data:           
    00000000   00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00  ................
    00000010   14 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 - 60 ea 00 00 01 00 00 00  ........`ê......
    00000020   c0 d4 01 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00              ÀÔ..........

Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Audiosrv\Parameters
    Class Name:        <NO CLASS>
    Last Write Time:   16/11/2007 - 16:57
    Value 0
      Name:            ServiceDll
      Type:            REG_EXPAND_SZ
      Data:            %SystemRoot%\System32\Audiosrv.dll

Value 1
      Name:            ServiceDllUnloadOnStop

Any help thankfully received
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 4:11 AM
  • my advice to you would be to go to programs and uninstall the sound video game program...then reinstall it,,,because it is missing means it most likely is blocked as an error and is not starting up...do a clean reinstsll....
    let me know what happens!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:40 AM
  • Only program in there is the one for realtec audio, have uninstalled the driver and installed again previously with not change.

closed the lid in disgust (to put asleep) and when it woke all was back to normal.   So confusing. Guess will have to wait until it happens again.
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:35 AM
  • yeh...hen the pc goes into sleep mode its sometimes gets reactivated itself...sometimes it doesnt..
    glad its worked out for you...
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:51 PM
  • if worst comes to worst you may have to update the driver

i had to do this after getting new windows updates

thats wat i had to do

all you do is:

1. Go to control panel

2. Go to hardware and sound

3. Go to device manager

4. Left click on sound, video and game controllers

5. Double click on the sound/video program that you run

6. Go to the driver adn click update driver

7. Choose the top option and wait for windows to find updates

8. A window should pop up in a few minutes saying that windows has updated the following programs

9. Click ok and you should be good

Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:33 PM
  • yeh but nearly all vistas these days come with all the lastest drivers and everythin...so u cant update and it wouldnt get fixed...good try though...
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:15 PM
  • I have exact the same problem.  The Model of NB is Toshiba Satellite U305-S5097. No sound, video and game controllers in device manager. And no audio output device is installed with a red cross at the right-bottom coner. Please help to solve the problem if anyone knows how to. Thanks a lot. Chunhua/Bell

Friday, September 19, 2008 9:36 AM
  • Sorry, it doesn't work for me, for there is even no "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" in device manager. And I tried to scan for harware change, no any change at all. Please help. Thanks!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:54 AM
  • i tried it before i xame to this site and i  had no luck but thank you anyway.im still looking for  a solution.it happened when i went from basic premium to ultimate. any ideas?

thks bill

Friday, September 26, 2008 4:04 AM
  • Thanks for the help

Friday, September 26, 2008 11:33 PM
  •  

Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Stimps -- thank you.  This worked great on my Compaq.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Thanks a lot. But when showing "No Audio Outut Device is Installed", there is no "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" option in Device Manager. Please help. Thanks a lot. ....Chunhua/Bell

Monday, September 29, 2008 2:29 AM
  • Hey, yes, I have problems.

Even after scanning the hardware, the sound is still mute.

I was frustrated.

My patience is now losing.

Really, thank you for helping.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 2:53 PM
  • I've had the exact same issue for over a month now since installing SP1 , I've even changed my sound card and still no go, I've posted at both creative (have an Asus sound card now though so it's not sound hardware related)

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=34112#M34112

and the Dell forums,

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&thread.id=77783

It's ludicrous, even removing the cards and enabling/onboard sound causes the same problem.

I've spent hours and hours trawling the web for a solution, it appears to be affecting a few people.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 12:10 PM
  • I followed the steps but it did'nt work.  It "scans for hardware changes", but nothing happens.  I just installed a windows update yesterday, and now this.  Any other suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Here's an update I edited my post a few hours later.  I installed the HP driver update mention somewhere in here.  This has fixed the problem.  Thankyou to who ever posted this I appreciate your input.

Thursday, October 02, 2008 7:25 PM
  • This was some help for me to find where I needed to do some tweaking with my audio. Nothing happened when I scanned for hardware changes. However, I right clicked and disabled my audio and then right clicked and enabled it. It is working now. I just installed all the new updates, so I am guessing that is what screwed up my laptop. thanks for putting this out here though. It did help me find where I needed to go.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:41 AM
  • i,ve tried everything nothing seems to work.i don,t even know why it happened.system restore hasn,t worked either.if anyone can help fast going mad:

Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:13 AM
  • wow ....I have come to realize that vista really sucks. This is the second time this has happened to me. The first time I just backed my computer up to a previous date and it fixed it....then vista installed some updates and my computer restarted...then the problem is back again. Sad  I'm lost without my music!! I've tried everyone's advice ..but it doesn't seem to work.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:44 PM
  • hey i got nothin, it says all they correct devices are installed but i still get that message!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, October 26, 2008 3:56 PM
  • hey i,ve just fixed mine can,t believe it.go to device manager double click on sound it gives an option to update driver.winows pops up to say its looking for device software it then proceeds to install software.sound came back on right away.brilliant! patsy c

Monday, October 27, 2008 7:11 PM
  • HELLO I HAVE A WINDOWS VISTA NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE WAS COMMING UP ALL THE TIME AND YES THE RED CROSS ALSO U JUST GOT TO KEEP GOING IN THE CONTROL PANEL AND DOING WHAT HE SAID HE WORKS HONESTLY I JUST HAD 2 KEEP DOING IT I DID IT ABOUT 6 X 'S THEN IT WORKED THANKS SOOOOO MUCH I NEED MY COMPUTER FOR WORK

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:24 PM
  • I don't get it. I have done what you said. But it doesn't work. It tells me again that the audio output device is not installed. Is there something wrong? And is there any other solution to fixing my audio???

Please Help!!! !!! Tongue Tied

Sunday, December 07, 2008 8:48 PM
  •  OlsBean wrote:
    I've had the exact same issue for over a month now since installing SP1 , I've even changed my sound card and still no go, I've posted at both creative (have an Asus sound card now though so it's not sound hardware related)

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=34112#M34112

and the Dell forums,

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&thread.id=77783

It's ludicrous, even removing the cards and enabling/onboard sound causes the same problem.

I've spent hours and hours trawling the web for a solution, it appears to be affecting a few people.

To update my own issue with this, I've spent several hours over a period of 2 weeks with Microsoft Support remote working on my system, they were unable to fix the issue, even with input from the sound card manufacturer.

In the end they sent me a Disc for my version of Vista which had SP1 included in it and clean installing vista from this version has I am please to say, fixed my issue, so even though it was not an ideal solution, it was still a solution. I hope this helps someone.

Sunday, December 07, 2008 10:55 PM
  •  

i followed your solution but it is still the same , nothing changed
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:26 AM
  • hello i was 'exploring' the sound options on my laptop - with vista home premium, and found + deleted the output drivers - i have read most of the convo's on the forum but i cant use any of the solutions - any idea what i can do?
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 7:37 PM
  • hello ! anyone accually on this forum any more? i need help !
    Friday, January 09, 2009 8:30 AM
  • I have followed these instructions exactly.  I get a 1/2 second message that says, checking for plug ins and then it is back to the same screen and still no sound.  When I check the drivers it says they are installed and working properly and up to date.  A few days ago I was checking to because I had used headphones and couldn't get the computer to switch back to headphones.  I ended up disabling the output device and now I can't find it to get it back on.  I've done just what you said and it isn't working.  any other possibilities you can think of?  thanks.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 5:07 AM
  • Thank you for your help.  I followed your steps then restarted my computer.  All is well now!! THANKS!!!!
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:34 PM
  • I did all the steps but when i got to the Device manager...sound, video and game controller is does not show up>what should i do?
    Please Help ^_^
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:28 PM
  • you are a star, thanks lots !!!!!!
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:09 AM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry to bother you but you tell us to go to Control Painel, fine, but then open "Hardware and sound". That's where I block because I have Sound but don't have Hardware! Anywhere!
    Can you help me please??
    Thank you!

T.N
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Have same problem. Laptop ok until 2 hours ago. Now no sound. Have tried all advice since then without  success. Help would be much appreciated.

Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Hey ACE2008,i follow the step
    Instead of scan for hardware changes..........
    it's says high definitions audio device instead.
    oh yeah,
    the speakers disapear when I click configure
    I still don't get it so
    do anybody know another way that I can fix the speakers?
    Oh, it's say no audio outpt device is installed on the top of the volume icon and the cross too.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 6:08 AM
  •    

HEY I CANT FIND SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLER I HAVE NO AUDIO DEVCE
    Saturday, April 04, 2009 2:37 PM

• NVM MAn   it elp me its working know all thanks to u

Saturday, April 04, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Many Many THANX MY PROBLEMS ARE ALMOST SORTED :-)??? ANY IDEA HOW I CAN GET MY SOUND OUT OF BUILT IN SCREEN SPEAKERS? THE ONLY WAY AT THE MOMENT I CAN HEAR IS IF I PLUG MY HEAD SET IN. MY SYSTEM IS WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE 64 BIT. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

REGARDS

PAUL
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:19 PM
  • I am having the same problem on my laptop. I tried your suggestions and this DID NOT work for me. My sound use to work but, does not now. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Please help me out if you can.  My e-mail is glanders75@yaho.com. Thanks
    Monday, April 20, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Hi ACE,

Thanks for that, but I have another problem. when this happened to me I was trying everything to fix it and I uninstalled the device in the programs and featured menu, and now I feel like I am SO screwed! I tried what you typed up there and no go. Can I possibly bleed some more information out of your head on this?
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:23 AM
  • OK!!

I just got my Compaq notebook back from Best Buy after they had to replace my CD drive. I have Vista. I did a clean install when I got home. Sound worked, was listening to music for the past 2 days. Kept installing new Windows Updates as they popped up. Everything worked until I installed Service Pack 1 - then the sound went out. I checked the Device Manager - the sound card was listed, but said no drivers were installed. I went to the HP site and tried installing the driver update for the sound - started installing then said it had failed to install. I thought I would have to take it BACK to Best Buy! However, someone on here said to have Device Manager check for updates. So I right clicked on the sound card and let it search online for updated drivers.. after 5 minutes it started installing a "new" driver and boom! My sound works again!!
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Thanks a lot for this, that was very helpful. :D
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:34 AM
  • I also had the no audio problem after MS Vista installed some updates this morning. I've had this issue before, as well.

I tried the instructions at the top of the thread and they didn't solve the problem.

WHAT DID WORK FOR ME WAS TO ROLL BACK THE DRIVER. I have a Sony Vaio with Vista.

Good luck to all.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:17 PM
  • Hey thnx a lot man...d method worked
    Friday, June 12, 2009 1:29 AM
  • Thank you so much! I have a Toshiba and this happened to me before, so I took it to Geek Squad to get it fixed. (The jerks laughed at me) I'm so happy I found this before I waisted anymore time and money. I put this in my favorites under "Vista Sucks" for future use. Thanks Again!
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:53 PM
  • This did not work for me! I have a toshiba satelite and my speakers work on and off, with that message coming up when they aren't working.  I tried the above and it did nothing for me.  After i right clicked on "scan for hardware changes", my computer said "scanning plug and play complaint hardware" for a minute and then nothing.  do you have any other suggestions???  i've tried doing what you said like 5 times, not working. :(
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:51 AM
  • After I open "device manager" in the "hardware and sound" section
    "sound,video and game controller" dont show up in the list of devices?
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:57 AM
  • Thank you ever so much. At first I started to panic, I was wondering whether I'd have to go buy some expensive sound device. Then I tried exactly what you said and it worked perfectly. I am so relieved. Now I can suggest to anybody who has a similar problem to explore this option before they resort to pulling their computer apart-it may save them the headache!!! Thanks ACE2008.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 5:07 PM

• i have the exact same problem

May you please help with this problem
    i have compaq presario f700 notebook  and i am running vista.
    i was follow ur instruction, when i get to step 3 there is no such of sound, video and game controller.

cant listen to music n music is top 3 things in my life thank u 

my email: haitianbre@gmail.com

thanks!!!
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 7:42 AM
  • Hi Ace

I have the same problem as a lot of the guys. No sound etc in device manager. I have a Toshiba Satelite U300 and downloaded a new Realtek driver from their website. I uninstalled and reintalled this twice and the problem still ocurs from time to time.

I even had a windows shutdown not to damage computer and the problem was Hdaudio.sys, not sure if this helps. I run Windows Vista Home Premium SP 2. I only installed SP2 yesterday hoping this would fixed the problem but it just happened again a day later.

PLEASE HELP NOT SURE IF THIS WILL EVER BE SORTED.
    Friday, July 03, 2009 8:19 AM
  • I have just tried this but nothing has happened. I am trying to install a video card with a HDMI output hence i want the sound to output through the hdmi port via the sound card.

Any ideas

Sunday, July 05, 2009 10:42 PM
  • this did not work for me i have a gateway laptop. is this only for hp?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:23 PM
  • i had the same problem. try disabling and the enabling the sound device on device manager under sound, video and game controllers.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Thank you. The solution above worked for me and saved me a boatload of time!
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:44 PM
  • These instructions were great. I had a virus on my boot drive and had to use a "kill disk" program to clear the virus. My challenge has been re-installing everything without spending money on stuff I already bought.  This did the trick on the final missing components.

Thanks!
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:58 AM
  • sometimes when updating it will say that you have the highest update available so instead click the roll back driver button.
    this is what worked fof me.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:01 AM
  • I tried this and it is not working.  Is there anything else I can do.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Hiya,

I have tried the above and still cant get it to work, please help.
    Thanks
    Kelly
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:36 PM
  • It didn't work. Why would my sound all of a sudden not be installed?

Friday, July 17, 2009 2:19 AM
  • I'm having this problem after upgrading to Vista. I follow the steps but there is no SOUND,VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLER anywhere.
    help?
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 1:41 PM
  • I have just tried this but nothing has happened. I am trying to install a video card with a HDMI output hence i want the sound to output through the hdmi port via the sound card.

Any ideas

Thnks ACE2008, very clear instructions, didnt work 1st time, but what i had to do is "disable my handsfree bluetooth audio driver" then enable it again, and it F***cking worked!!!

Cheers again!!

Quality guy.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Ok, my way works...!!!

- Control Panal
    - System
    - (left side under Tasks) klick on Device Manager
    - double klick on (sound, video and game controllers)
    - right klick on the device
    - uninstall (do not mark the field "delete Driver")
    - in Devive Manager Menu - Action - Scan for Hardware changes

That's it. Should be working.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:49 AM
  • HI ALL

My solution to this prob (No audio device installed, or this device can't start Code 10) was in the 
    user manual for the relevant motherboard - an MSI ms7255 v2.2 -  which showed that the mobo supported only
    a total of 2Gig of RAM.  I had recently upgraded RAM to 4Gig.

Cutting back to 2Gig brought back onboard sound on the machine purchased from Aldi about the same time last year.
    Incidentally, Medion Support told me to re-instal Vista - Yeah, right! An IT friend said that would have done a fat lot of good.

I hadn't noticed the problem immediately after upgrading, because my wife likes to use the computer
    with sounded muted, until she wants to use it. To old eyes, a red x is similar to a cross.

Hope the above helps.

CHEERS
    NOEL GORDON
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 11:42 PM
  • this did not help me
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 7:33 PM
  • hey bro i know how to get to the device manager but am an a guest account (my sisters laptop she not here)and i cant go on device manger only adminstrator can any other way. i can lisen to music and its driving me crazy plzz a.s.a.p bro ty.
    Sunday, August 02, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Did not work for me :(
    HEEEEELP!
    Monday, August 03, 2009 2:37 AM
  • Ok, i'm annoying my son now, dancing around because i've figured out the problem and have fixed, but like all of you above it took me a couple weeks!  My scenerio....  HP slimline , formated and installed vista sp1, lost my sound and got the No Audio Output Device Install.

What i did was follows

first off....

you really need to know what sound card your computer has, this is really important, what i did was go to the HP site and just entered in my model and it told me what i had, in my case it was realtek.  What I did the first time was just download the driver from the site and it went who knows where into my computer so what i did was go to the realtek website , found the driver i needed and downloaded it to my computer, it took an hour i think  it was zipped so when i unzipped it  i made sure i put a new folder on my desktop and extracted all the files to that location.

now you are ready for sound.....

3. SCROLL DOWN TO '' SOUND,VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLER"
    4. OPEN THAT AND YOU WILL SEE  "HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO"
    5.  RIGHT CLICK AND SELECT "UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE
    6.  NEW WINDOW  CHOOSE "BROWSE MY COMPUTER"
    7.  NEW WINDOW CHOOSE "LET ME PICK..."
    8.  UNCHECK THE "SHOW COMPATIBLE HARDWARE" BOX
    9.  CLICK "HAVE DISK"
    10.  NOW BROWSE TO THE LOCATION THAT YOU EXTRATED YOUR DRIVER FILES TO AND JUST KEEP OPENING THE VISTA FOLDER UNTIL YOU GET TO A BUNCH OF .INF FILES, DON'T SELECT ANY OF THOSE JUST HAVE THAT OPEN  - YOUR COMPUTER "SHOULD" HAVE THE ONE IT NEEDS IN THE FILE NAME BOX,, JUST CLICK OPEN AND THEN OK

11.  NOW THE WINDOW SHOULD OPEN WITH A LIST OF YOUR DRIVER FOR ME I HAD 3 REALTEK ONES, I JUST CHOSE THE FIRST ONE  HIT NEXT AND IT INSTALLED

AND I NOW HAVE SOUND....UNBELIEVABLE

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR TRYING, THATS HOW WE FIND SOLUTIONS,, LIKE THE SAYING GOES, 2 OR MORE HEADS ARE BETTER THAN ONE

Monday, August 03, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Disabled my speakers while messing about.

To get them back, go to Device Manager -> Sound, Video and game controllers -> right-click the sound card -> Uninstall

Then right-click Sound, Video and game controllers -> Scan for hardware changes.

The soundcard drivers reinstall and the speakers are re-enabled :-D

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 12:39 AM
  • I tried this exact process. My sound still does not work :( What now?
    Friday, August 07, 2009 1:38 AM
  • this sucks your solution looked like it could really help....and my sounds not muted....BUT there is the sound icon(with nothing OVER it) but there is a little red dot with a white (x) in it, NEAR the sound icon...and when i hover over it, it says No Audio Output Device Is Installed...Maybe there is another way you can help? it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

Great try but I don't have a "Hardware and sound" to click on.   My problems is no sound.  Computer crashed after installing some "up dates" from HP and I have been working since yesterday to restore.  Got everything back except no sound.  I am using a Dell 3000 series with Celeron D Processor and running Windows XP  with service pac 3.   Have tried everything I know how to do with out success.  I would love to open "Device Manager" if I could find it.

Jonspe
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Here's How to find Device Manager in XP

1. Click on Start and then Control Panel .

2. Click on the Performance and Maintenance link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simple double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

3. In the Performance and Maintenance window, click on the System icon near the bottom of the window.

4. In the System Properties window, click on the Hardware tab.

5. With the Hardware tab selected, click on the Device Manager button.

6. You can now use Device Manager to update device drivers , view a piece of hardware's system resources , etc.

Its really important that you have the correct audio driver installed, and more important to not just install it automatically from the download site, you need to save it and watch where its going then you can direct device manager to the correct location when updating
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:18 AM
  • I'm not sure because i cannot see what your describing, but a "red dot with a white (x) in it" means you have some sort of malware , windows has detected some kind of spyware infection
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:27 AM
  • you made sure you saved your driver to a desktop folder?   you may have to install from that location , remove the old audio drivers from device manager and reboot, then try the above process again
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:30 AM
  • i need help....i have an HP pavillion dv5000 i was running windows xp but just switched to windows 7.  it says "no audio output device is installed" i tried your solution but it said "no audio driver found".  please help i hate playing games with no sound. lol
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:20 AM

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35501-36000/sp35684.exe

This was so helpful thank you so much.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Sorry pal, did not work for me, downloaded Microsoft  .Net framework 2 x86)
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:22 AM
  • I am so sorry to say, but this didn't work for me, I couldnt find any "Sound, Video and Game Controller" in the "Device Manager. 
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Great ideas here. I tried most of these solutions without success.

What worked for me was to install a new driver. If you have a SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC card, this just may be the solution.

http://download.cnet.com/SigmaTel-High-Definition-Audio-CODEC/3000-2110_4-173629.html

SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC 6.10.0.5609

Hope it works out for you.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:02 PM
  • ok soo this is what i did.

I did evry step that you said. but instead of clicking-Sound....Controller it said to click on multimidea audio controller and i did.

but then it tells me to reinstall driver. but it searches online for software.. for a long while.. what should I do.

Sherly
    Monday, August 17, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Hi I am having a similar problem with my toshiba satellite u305-s5097. It says that there is no audio device installed. I looked through the steps but there is no Sounds, video or game controllers tab. I have downloaded the update from toshiba for the realtek audio driver but that still doesn't work. I have also searched for hardware changes but nothing works. any ideas?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Hi,
    i followed all ur given instructions
    but i didnt get my volume back
    i'll tell you........
    >when i right clicked "sound, video and game controllers"
    >5 options came right below it
    >the first 2 options..... "ADS instant HDTV PCI" and "Conexant 23880 video capture (Blackbird NTSC Dual input)"
    they both had a yellow "!' mark beside them!
    >so i clicked one...

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

>than i clicked "check for solution"
    >and i got the same result

what do i do !
    plzzzz helP!!!!!!

Friday, August 21, 2009 5:36 AM
  • Hello, I cannot find Hardware and Sound in my Control Panel, I cannot find just "Hardware" yet I can find Sound. My assumption was that there was one together when you explained. I have been working with Windows Vista and XP for about 4 years. I know what I'm talking about, I would like to know if there is a secondary solution that dosen't involve turning your computer on and off because that wouldn't help. I can see that the only thing that even might come close to helping by turning off your computer is a frozen screen or some kind of virus crawling onto your hardware.
    Here is my problem, 
    I have a Compaq with Windows Vista Home installed on it, and I disabled my sound because the other night I was using my headphones then when I unplugged them no sound came out. I decided to disable and re-enable my sound, only until I found out that the enable button was gone, after asking twice on the Microsoft Forums with the  Subject "No Sound" -Silver Studios Inc. ; I did not get any anwsers. Some websites I have gone too have reported the same problem or similar ones, yet those all tell me to reinstall things like my hardware, speakers or etc. I know there is a much more easier solution. Basiclly, my problem is my sound is permantly disabled because I cannot find the enable button. Please help.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Ok Ace!

I have tried to use the steps above to restore my sound on my computer, but there was no luck...

I went into control panels, but there isnt a button for hardware and sound....just a button that says add hardware and a button that says sound (when I click on the sound button it says nothing is installed).

I found a sound video, and game control button in the device manager, but when I click it there is only one thing under it named "sigma Tel high definition Codec.....and it says its properly working.............Where do I go from here???

please help :(
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:29 PM
  • This did not work for me. For the last 2 or 3 months my system with Windows XP has been showing "no audio devices installed" even though they were operating before. I don't know what started it. When I have searched it online others are saying it started after a Windows update. I don't know what to do but my PC now will not play any sound and I have no inputs registering either - all greyed out in the control box.  Can anyone help?
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 11:25 AM
  • I have done this two but still i have problem? is there any other solution.
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Hey this was really help full, i mean i droped my hi-fi and i broke it.....lol
    So my Pc was the only place 4 me 2 lisn 2 my music + im a huge fan of You Tube so i can start right away woooppeee
    Seriously mate thank u very very very very much ur a star :)

Sunday, September 06, 2009 2:09 AM
  • I have Windows XP. My sound is no longer working. When I go to Control Panel and then audio devices, I get "no audio device". Can't click on the volume. What can I do to get sound again? LizBBCTourism
    Monday, September 07, 2009 11:39 PM
  • Thank you thank you thank you. This is the only thing that worked for me. I searched forever & kept trying the solutions above & nothing worked, but YOURS DID!
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 8:52 PM
  • So basically, there are three camps:

1) Those who don't know how to even get to Device Manager
    2) Those who agree the posted solution works
    3) Those who disagree that the posted solution works

I'm in group 3 and no one has offered an intelligent response to these folks.  The posted solution DOES NOT WORK for some of us.  Why?  Because our Device Manager doesn't even acknowledge there is a sound, video, and game controller category TO CLICK ON.  Do you see why this is a problem?  It's not there to click on, to right click on, to uninstall and reinstall, to disable and enable.  Bloody ____, it's NOT THERE OKAY??  When I go through the avenue of the Control Panel in Vista, clicking on the "Sound" setting or any of its subsets gets me the same message everyone else sees:  No audio devices are installed. 

My audio devices have been installed for two years, thanks, and have worked fine until yesterday.  Rebooting hasn't done anything (I'm on restart #4 and actual shut-down-and-wait-a-few-minutes #2), closing and opening the lid for a quick nap hasn't done anything (tried 2x), and all the official Microsoft help instructions tell me to go to Device Manager's "Sound, Video, and Game Controller" that doesn't currently exist.

Can someone, with this information hopefully clarified beyond all doubt, please suggest something other than the originally posted solution?  Please?? 
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 3:02 AM
  • I've opened the device manager but cannot find sound game and hardware option! Please help. I'm going mad over this issue!
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Thanks for the help. Not 100% the way, I had to do it, but you led me in the right direction :)

1) Control panel
    2) System (This was the difference vs. "Hardware and sound"
    3) Device manager

Hereafter everything worked, as you had explained.

thx.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:11 PM
  • this didn't work on my computer. it is still saying no audio device installed. :(
    Friday, September 11, 2009 1:21 AM
  • i have exactly the same problem. its all well and good clicking on "sound, video and game controller" but it isnt actually there. what am i supposed to do?
    Friday, September 11, 2009 10:04 AM
  • Hi there I tried your solution and its still not working, can you please help, it was working fine till I switched it off and was not working when turned on. lil debz
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:01 PM
  • thank you so much!!!
    tried loads and it didn't happen!
    Monday, September 14, 2009 10:51 AM
  • I have had the same problem as described in this thread. After moving to another state, I sert up my computer and got the "No audio device is installed" flag over my speaker icon with a red "X". I could find absolutely no help on any forum. However, by a fluke, I diconnected the computer to take it to the Best Buy Geek Squad but could not get there that day, so I reconnected it an VOILA! It worked again!

Try unplugging the power source and other connections and reconnect after a few minutes. It worked for me.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Yeah, no one is responding to this issue, despite multiple attempts to raise it.  Please, anyone, who might have a clue, focus for a second: 

For some of us, the posted solution is not working, because Device Manager doesn't even acknowledge there is a sound, video, and game controller category TO CLICK ON

Solutions addressing this circumstance are appreciated.  The ones above are not relevant.  Thanks.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:17 PM
  • yeah, i still have that exact problem. i've already had a few people look at it and try to tell me what to do, but again, no luck. i would really like to have my sound back. :(
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Thanx, But sorry to say that i didn't find any sound, video and game controller there. what should i do now?
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 12:42 AM
  • Hello there, same problem, no audio devices in device manager, no sounds at all.  Tried everything - system restore, system reinstall, installing Windows 7 (not a clean install but upgrade), restoring from the HP utility, dloading drivers, fixes, etc.  Nothing works.  System at the present, though it doesn't matter: Windows 7 64, AMD64, Conexant sound card, 4 gig of ram, etc. 
    Please help - this problems seems to be very widespread - just look at the HP site... it seems like hundreds of people have lost sound in the last 2 months, no solutions yet. 
    Davor
    Monday, September 28, 2009 12:49 PM
  • Hi all,

I was a seething ball of fury last time I posted (September 9th, above, for context), but I have my sound back .  Here are all of the things I tried, leading up to the "solution" that worked for me:

1. Rolling back my computer to a previous restore point using Windows Security or whatever (no change in sound )
    2. Restarting my computer a lot, letting it rest a few minutes between restarts (no change in sound )
    3. Shut my laptop lid to induce hibernation/sleep--this has helped in the past, and is also what has made my sound disappear in the past (no change in sound )
    4. Sobbed in abject despair and frustration (no change in sound )
    5. Disassembled my computer and re-inserted/installed/configured my same old sound card.  THIS WORKED

Some thoughts
    I'm going to pretend you are all my mother and that I must be extra cautious about reiterating my completely untrained, unprofessional, uncertified, non-computer engineer advice:

• My 1-year warranty was expired by that time, so I didn't void my warranty by taking my computer apart and digging around in it.  You don't want to open up your computer all by your lonesome if it's still under warranty, alright? Just cough up the money and have someone else do it or whatever so you're not liable if you break something, or so you're out of luck if you need something else fixed on warranty later.  Don't come pointing your angry finger at me and the Microsoft forums if you screw this up royally.  Deal? 

• If you decide to play computer surgeon, by all that is sacred in the cosmos USE A MANUAL .  I'm willing to bet you can find step-by-step help online for your computer or a model very close to it.  Search for your computer model (mine is a Toshiba Satellite U-305) and some variation of "reinstalling/removing sound card".  This way you will have a rough idea of when you are and are not required to apply brute force to remove a part or panel.  Keep careful track of where all little screws came from so they can go back. 

• For a few days after disassembling/reinstalling, my microphone and speakers were subject to random distortion.  Sometimes they'd work normally, sometimes they'd get buggy and make odd sounds during playback or freeze my web browser.  I think I had messed with the Properties of my microphone, so I went back to the sound devices panel (yep, it came back!) and returned it to default settings .  It's been working flawlessly ever since (~three weeks).

Good luck, comrades. 

Thursday, October 01, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Thank you ACE I have my sound back!!!
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 12:41 AM
  • FIRST OF ALL;There is no "hardware and Sound" in my control panell,I have "Sounds and Audio devices".when I went to Sound Video and Game Options and did as you say, it did absolutely nothing,I still have the yellow exclamation mark and no sound. I have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers and the device itself to no avail.Any help would sure be appreciated.I keep getting Code 10 on the realtek high definition audio in device manager in WinXP Pro SP3 on toshiba u300.
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 7:12 AM
  • ok if simply scanning for hardware changes doesn't work (which in my case it did not) do this

1. click the plus sign next to the sound video and game controller option.
    2. right click on your audio device you should see an option that says "disable"
    3. click the disable option.
    4. after it's disabled the enable option should pop up in place of the disable option.
    5. click the enable option.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 4:32 PM
  • I'd prefer not to take my computer apart. That would be my last resort probably.

I have a Toshiba u300 and it's identical. I'd say once every 25 restarts or boot ups, the sound comes on temporarily, then it just stops working. I can't hook the audio jack to any speakers and get sound.

I've tried every option there is, every driver. No idea what else to do.
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 1:46 AM
  • Hi there,

Thanks for this. I have exactly the same problem (have a Toshiba Notebook - U305) but when I come to Device Manager and I dont have a 'Sound, Video and Game Controller' option.  On Device Manager I have the lay out as below:

- PC
       Batteries
    Computer
    Dis Drives
    Display Adapters
    DVD/CD Rom Drives
    IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    imagining devices
    Keyboards
    Mice and othe rpointing devices
    Modem
    Monitors
    Network Adaptors
    Processors
    SD Host adapters
    System devices
    Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Everything was working today suddenly it started making funny noise then voice is totally gone.

Please advise
    Thanx,

Friday, October 09, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Lady Soul--

See my post above (dated October 1) and try the things I tried, from easiest to most involved.  First maybe try to make your computer hibernate and then wake up, or power down a few times and start it up again--these things have been quick and temporary fixes in the past.

If you want more context to be sure you have the same problem I did before you resort to extreme measures like disassembling your notebook, check out my post from September 9th.  I was furious, but I think I was thorough in describing what was wrong with my computer and why the originally posted solution was not working.

Best of luck.

Belev

Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:11 PM
  • I'd prefer not to take my computer apart. That would be my last resort probably.

I have a Toshiba u300 and it's identical. I'd say once every 25 restarts or boot ups, the sound comes on temporarily, then it just stops working. I can't hook the audio jack to any speakers and get sound.

I've tried every option there is, every driver. No idea what else to do.

Sorry, taking my laptop apart was the only thing that worked for me.  It was a long, frustrating journey to this decision but it's working fine now.  My only other attractive choice, with dismal troubleshooting support from Windows/Microsoft, was to just wait until Windows 7 comes as default OS and buy a new laptop altogether. 

You could try contacting the manufacturer.  To me, THAT was the last resort.  :)
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:18 PM
  • I have tried this but it keeps saying "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"...what do i do next? do i need to download from microsoft?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:25 AM
  • stil does not work
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:24 AM
  • Hi Erm I Was Just Replying To Say My Computer Does Not Have An Icon Saying 'Hardware And Sound' Can You Please Help.??:D
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:32 AM
  • Had the same problem with an eMachine and a  Realtek sound card but this will work with any card you have.  The issue is Vista's requirement for drivers to be Signed in a specific manner. Here's how to get around it:

Download the latest driver for your sound card to your PC
    Uninstall the existing driver from the control panel if it's there and/or from the Device Driver screen
    Restart the PC and hit F8 to get the boot menu before vista starts loading
    Select the option to boot without Driver Signing requirement
    when the PC starts it will install a generic driver and the sound should be back
    install the driver you downloaded in step 1 above
    Restart once again and you should be as good as new
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:53 AM
  • Hey. Same problem 'No Audio Output Device Installed' on Dell Dimension E521 for a few days after initially hearing some really loud noises from my speakers and then unplugging the speakers to stop my family from going deaf or mad.

Update driver didn't work.

Scan for Hardware changes didn't work.

What worked for me was to go into device manager and delete the sound driver (and files)... then do scan for hardware changes so that some form of audio device was recognised and then do an update driver automatically from the net.

Sound again for the first time in days... Hooray. So excited I wanted to post to try and save someone else the frustration...
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:28 PM
  • This was the only thing that worked for my laptop.. i was a little worried when i uninstalled it but it worked and im soo happy!! My sound went after i installed service pack 1 and came on here and tried everything!! Thank you soo muchh

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:50 PM
  • I have the no audiot output device installed and i got to device manager, but i can't find the sound, video, game, and controler. can someone help me.
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 8:28 PM
  • i am having same problem. i have a compaq presario laptop . and there is no sound video and games controller in my device manager. i tried installing latest drivers but they either failed to install or some had problem even unpacking ( i downloaded them from hp web site). 
    i hve even updated my bios. 
    memory diagnostic tool showed some hardware problem. but didnot specify the problem. don' know what to do

please help
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:09 PM
  • YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DOWNLOAD ANYTHING OR SUBSCRIBE OR GO TO OTHER WEBSITES...THE SOLUTION IS HERE:

4. RIGHT CLICK "SOUND VIDEO AND GAME OPTION"...THEN AN OPTION WILL COME UP SAYING..."SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES"...CLICK IT AND HEY PRESTO...YOUR SOUNDS AND VIDEO AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING!

THANKX

GEEEE.  Funny.  That's been done oh, about a hundred times so far and it hasn't worked even once.  This helped about as much as dropping the laptop off a 10 story building would to get the sound working and still have everything else work.  As in not at all!
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:50 AM
  • Please leave comments if you have or dont have any success with this solution as it helps others and i will see if i can hep you.
    thanks

This solution didn't work at all.  A 3 year old would have figured this one out.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:51 AM
  • fnxz mate i found it now

but now it sayin it cnt work (code 10)?? do u no anyfing?

Ohyeah.  The unable to start code 10 problem.  I got about three dozen of those instances. 
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:52 AM
  • hey,
    i went to my device manager and the sound, video, and game controller isn't even there. my computer's sound hasn't exactly worked in 2 months now. once in a while it will inter-mitt and work again until i turn off my computer and turn it back on the next time. any ideas?
    thanks!
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:07 AM
  • same here!! No one seems to know beyond the blatantly obvious. I have no idea whether to classify my problem as software related or hardware related.

All  I know is, I want my sound back!
    Friday, November 13, 2009 4:04 AM
  • Hi Ace i am having this problem wiv my HP G6000 LAPTOP AND I HAVE DONE ALL OF THE ABOVE BUT WHEN I COME TO THE BIT WHERE IT SAYS GO TO SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLER....I DONT HAVE THAT IN MY FILE...SO IM STUCK...this has beenlike this for weeks now and its really getting on my nerves...im sure theres a simple solution i just cant find it..I EVEN SAW A LINK ON HERE FROM SOMEONE ELSE SAYING TO DOWNLOAD THIS LINK FROM HP AND IT WILL WORK I DID THAT AND IT THEN SAYS THERE IS ERROR NO MEDIA DEVICE othere than smashing it up and buying a new one lol....PLEASE HELP :0)
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:42 AM
  • HEY ALL THE FOLLOWING WORKED FOR ME TRY IT OUT I HOPE THIS HELPS:
    1)Go to control Panel
    2)Open Device Manager
    3)Expand "Sound,video and game controllers"
    4)Double click on the audio device listed
    5)Enable the device and reinstall driver (for me, there were 2 possible drivers, one worked, the other didn't)
    6)Test...it should work by now.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:42 AM
  • I had this problem and did what was said in the beginning.. and it didnt work.

I ended up trying to solve the problem myself and heres what i did:

1. Opened "Control Panel" then opened "Hardware and Sound"

2. Opened device manager

3. Scrolled down to Sound Video and Game Controller

4. Click the little + next to it to expand

5. Rightclick on your Audio Software that is downloaded (mine says Realtek high definition audio) and click properties

6. Under your software properties, go to the tab that says Drivers.

7. Press the disable button, and then click enable after that.

MIne worked after that :)
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:52 AM
  • I tried this twice and it worked the second time.  Thanks

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:04 AM
  • hey  friend
    i am getting a problem similar to yours but i tried  your drivers but i am not getting through my hp laptop  but still getting no audio output device is installed. please recommend something else that will help.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Help - this just appeared today.  I went on HP tech support and they determined it was a hardware issue and wanted $400 to fix this!!!!   I tried your solution, it did not fix the problem. 

Any other ideas? 
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:53 PM
  • This one did not work for me.  I got error:  Driver Installation failed:  Could not find the media device for this driver.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:58 PM
  • I have been reading ... and searching... and still no sound!
    i was follow your instruction, when i get to step 3 there is no "sound, video and game controller.

I have re-booted.. put my lappy to sleep... woke it up.. and ready to cry!  I still have no sound!
    If someone has an answer.. please.. pleasseee help!
    my email is edgemeadow30@hotmail.com
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:07 AM
  • I have been reading ... and searching... and still no sound!
    i was follow your instruction, when i get to step 3 there is no "sound, video and game controller.

I have re-booted.. put my lappy to sleep... woke it up.. and ready to cry!  I still have no sound!
    If someone has an answer.. please.. pleasseee help!
    my email is edgemeadow30@hotmail.com
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:10 AM
  • girlupstairs,

I know there are a lot of replies in this thread and few of them helpful, but I think we have the same problem and I wrote all of the symptoms and attempts to fix it on September 9th (scroll up and see if we match problems).

If so, I posted my fix on October 1st.   It's a drastic measure, and I'd prefer you tried everything else before you take a screwdriver to your laptop, but if you really want your sound fixed and have no where else to turn (and no warranty or anything that would be voided by operating on your laptop), it might be worth a try.  I was too scared to do it myself, so I had my boyfriend do it.  He just followed the instructions he found online on how to take apart my model of computer, and the sound has been fine since.  Neither of us are hardware savvy and we were able to baby-step through the manual re-installation of the sound card.

I never let my computer sleep or hibernate anymore.  If it needs to be transported without power for a while, it gets shut down and rebooted when I find a plug-in to charge it.  The problem has not come back.

Best of luck--I hope you check back to see this. 

Belev
    Friday, November 20, 2009 5:50 PM
  • For all posters who can no longer see "Sound, video and game controllers" in your Device Manage, this may be the solution you are looking for!

1. Go to Device Manager
    2. Click the + next to System devices
    3. Right-click High Definition Audio...  Or anything else "audio" depending on your computer
    4. Click Disable
    5. Right-click again
    6. Click Enable
    7. Enjoy having your sounds back!

I hope this works because I know first hand that this problem is extremely frustrating to say the least!  GOOD LUCK!
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:36 AM
  • I had this problem and did what was said in the beginning.. and it didnt work.

I ended up trying to solve the problem myself and heres what i did:

1. Opened "Control Panel" then opened "Hardware and Sound"

2. Opened device manager

3. Scrolled down to Sound Video and Game Controller

4. Click the little + next to it to expand

5. Rightclick on your Audio Software that is downloaded (mine says Realtek high definition audio) and click properties

6. Under your software properties, go to the tab that says Drivers.

7. Press the disable button, and then click enable after that.

MIne worked after that :)
    THIS WORKED FOR ME....THANKS A LOT. ALSO YOU CAN DO A SYSTEM RESTORE AND GET BACK YOUR AUDIO THAT WAY.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:32 PM
  • ^^^^ THAT SOLUTION WORKED FOR ME. I THINK PEACHIPEACH90 POSTED IT A FEW POSTS ABOVE THIS. ALSO IF WORST COMES TO WORST ALL OF YOU CAN DO A "SYSTEM RESTORE" AND HOPEFULLY THAT WOULD GET YOUR AUDIO BACK.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:36 PM
  • hey my computer iss not working i get to number 3 but after that i cant find number 4 what can i do?
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Belev

Thank you very much for your help. 
    I saved all my programs..music and pictures.. and ended up doing a complete system restore back to the factory settings.... with no luck :(   so. .. lucky for me I have 1 month left on my extended warranty( i called the store that my laptop was purchased at).  Its the sound card itself.  When all the "fixs" here have not worked.. your taking out the sound card and re setting  or replacing it is actually the solution.  I also checked the HP web site.. putting in the words "NO audio device installed and after following those instructions.. the recomendation is to re set or replace the sound card itself.

Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:37 PM
  • on my device manager it doesnt say sound,video,and game controller anywhere.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 10:37 PM
  • ......I simply plugged in my headphones in the headphone slot and the red x went away and once I removed my headphones the sound was up and running again :)
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 10:07 PM
  • I did exactly that and it didnt do anything?? I did it right too and checked everything and everything says "unplugged". It doesnt give me an option of enabling or plugging.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Hi, I have Windows Vista on my desktop, has a DQ35MP motherboard with on-board audio card. At first I thought it was only me, but what a surprise. I've had this problem since Christmas. Exactly the same thing, "No Audio Output Device is Installed" (speaker icon with x) and I can't even find "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" in Device Manager. Here's what I did:

1. Installed the original audio driver from manufacturer's cd (Intel) Realtek High Definition Audio
        Result:   no sound
    2. Downloaded audio drivers around the internet (from Intel, Realtek, etc.).
        Result:  still no sound
    3. Tried all the stuff posted around the forums, not just here but everywhere around the internet: (enable/disable, Uninstall/Install, etc.)
        Even updated my BIOS.
        Result: still nothing

so, I wouldn't have known what my on board audio card was if it wasn't for the Intel cd since device manager is not showing sound, video and game controllers. what i did was right click computer name in device manager, clicked Add Legacy Hardware which takes me to the Add Hardware Wizard. Then I manually selected Sound Video and Game Controllers, then Realtek from a list then chose Realtek High Definition Audio Driver. It installed the files and after that "The software for this device is now installed but may not work correctly", then "Code 10: The device cannot start"!

And why is my on-board audio not detected in Device Manager? Sounds really strange...

I'm out of ideas, please help, anyone...
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:47 PM
  • I tried this and there was no change.  I've tried every hint I have come across on the web and still nothing.  No sound at all.  It's getting so annoying!  It all happened when I installed some Netgear products to set up my new internet service a few weeks back, though perhaps that was not related at all, just coincidence.

Please, someone help!
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:56 PM
  • Hi manong,

Wow.  I didn't do as extensive a job as you trying to fix my problem (the same problem as yours at the start of your post...not so much at the end of your post), but I did try taking apart my laptop and manually reinstalling the sound card and it's worked fine ever since.  You could try that if you're not too worried about your surgical prowess--it's probably a lot easier to do this on a desktop machine than it was on my laptop. 

If you want to try it, I detailed my experience and caveats a bit more on October 1st (scroll up or ctrl+f my name).  I never let my laptop go into hibernation/sleep any more, and if I need to unplug it to travel a while it gets shut down. Hibernation/sleep seemed to cause the problem for me back when this was happening, so maybe I'm being superstitious but everything has been peachy since I manually reinstalled the sound card.

Good luck.  Love to hear back from you if you try it.

Belev
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Hi Belev,

Disassembled my computer and re-inserted/installed/configured my same old sound card.  THIS WORKED .

Only problem with me is, mine is not a laptop, and my audio card is on-board the motherboard. Can it be removed from the motherboard? because i think it is integrated in it(the motherboard). And i don't wanna tinker with that, I might destroy the whole thing!

What I find really strange here, and I will repeat. How can Device Manager not detect the integrated/on-board sound card in its motherboard when everything else is detected?

Here's what I did the last couple of days:

I thought, hey, maybe I should buy an external sound card, that should solve it. So I did but couldn't buy a high-end one because most computer shops i visited here in the philippines say they don't sell high-end sound cards anymore (I don't know why). so this thing i bought is a cheap, generic one and installed it. detected Crystal Soundfusion, downloaded the latest drivers, no problems on install.

I was so excited, next thing i did was try it. right clicked and played a windows sound, and the computer hangs up! It just sticks! I can't even press Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I had to take it off cause I can't use my computer. So here I am again...

It's just so frustrating right now. Im totally pissed. help...

Friday, January 01, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Hey Stimps...
    Thanks! I have a HP, and this solution works.....It seems like I can always rely on solutions online for my pc, since I'm not comp-savvy...
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 3:46 AM
  • Hello people!

Here I am again. And I am very proud to say that I've finally solved the freaking thing that's bugging me since Christmas. NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE INSTALLED. Wow, I have got to get this nightmare out of my head, maybe I'll scream one time for all my frustration. So, here's what I did:

There's this forum I stumbled into that says to download a Windows Update called KB929685 and I did download it with the same result: no audio. But I think what solved my audio problem was another update I found from the same website (Microsoft Download Center) which is KB937077.

Thank God. I never want to experience that nightmare ever again...

thanks everyone...
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 4:50 AM
  • I have a Toshiba U305 and i tried everything metioned above, but when i tried what bdock advised it worked. It took me 2 restarts but i finanlly got my sound back after nearly a month. As soon as i got it  back i made sure i update the driver by using the device manager as a precautionary measure. I will let everyone know how things are going
    Monday, January 04, 2010 4:19 AM
  • Thanks ..... but if it was that simple id have done it in 30 secs my computer does not even recognize that it has  '' SOUND,VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLER'' on device manager. so i cant reinstall the original driver   . This all happened after installing windows package 1. Any ideas . There must be a solution if so many people have had this problem 
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:30 AM
  • Did not work. still have no audio out put installed!
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Hi It seems my problem with this audio output device that is not installed goes a little further. When going to device manager 'sound' is completely void of any available or unavailable options. it seems as if all sound options have simply vanished. I have a Vaio notebook. I run Vista. I have downloaded updates, reinstalled drivers....all to no avail. Still no options to select or deselect under sounds. Any advice would be appreciated. Regards
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:13 PM
  • hi andrecar,

that was the same problem i had. I can't even see SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS in device manager. i'm not really sure if the thread i posted above (Jan. 3) is really the solution to the problem i had, but it was the last thing i did. also, another thing i did then was delete my sound card files from the registry using REGEDIT. maybe it helped, i dont know, you could try that. just make sure you ONLY delete the sound card files if you know what it is. it's in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. restart the computer and download the latest drivers. another thing i did was update my BIOS. keep posting here, I'm here to help whenever i can, if i can.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 1:22 AM
  • Thank youu, this workedddd :)
    i did something on my mums laptop and i used this and it worrked fewwwww ......
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:24 PM
  • this is the solution that worked for me anyone who DOES NOT HAVE THE SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLER IN THEIR DEVICE MANAGER

follow the steps below:

Click Start and type Recovery Manager in the search field.
    Select Recovery Manager .
    Click Advanced .
    Select Hardware driver re-installation .
    Click Next .
    Select the appropriate audio driver.
    Click Next . The audio driver will re-install.
    Click Finish and allow the PC to restart.

restarting my computer did NOT help me... but, after i was about to scream and throw the computer at the wall, i turned it off and i went out for dinner to calm the ____ down. when i got back, the sound, video and game controller WAS there, and from there i was able to disable and then reenable it, and voila. sound again... i assume that this means a restart isn't enough, you have to turn the thing off and cut the power for a bit to really let it have time to work.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:31 AM
  • Awweeesssoooooommmmmeee my mom gave me 10000000000000000000 dollars shes a billion airsss

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Thank you very much!!!!! :D
    Friday, January 22, 2010 10:21 PM
  • once you have right clicked on sound nd video nd that nd click on scan for hardware changes what should happen because mine has not fixed

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:58 PM
  • I accidentially removed Sigma Tel high definiton audio CODEC and it keeps telling me I need a WDM driver disk?  I have windows XP
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:10 PM
  • Hi Tlhambone,

Did you try this : http://thydzik.com/sigmatel-high-definition-audio-codec-driver-for-windows-xp/
    Hope you find the info useful
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:39 PM
  • hi andrecar,

that was the same problem i had. I can't even see SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS in device manager. i'm not really sure if the thread i posted above (Jan. 3) is really the solution to the problem i had, but it was the last thing i did. also, another thing i did then was delete my sound card files from the registry using REGEDIT. maybe it helped, i dont know, you could try that. just make sure you ONLY delete the sound card files if you know what it is. it's in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. restart the computer and download the latest drivers. another thing i did was update my BIOS. keep posting here, I'm here to help whenever i can, if i can.

hi manong,
        I was hoping you could help me..
        My laptop is ACER 4810t, Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium

1. I dont have sound, game, video controller on my device manager
    2. When I add sound, game, video controller (REALTEK), I received a CODE 10 error
    3. I dont have Microsoft UUA Bus Driver in my Device Manager/ System Device..

btw, BIOS is already updated.

tnx.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:25 PM
  • it still have a red cross still sayiny no audio output device install
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 2:14 AM
  • it still have a red cross still sayiny no audio output device install

Saturday, February 06, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Hi quest12345,

Often you do need to re-install and/or update the drivers for a myriad of possible reasons.

Hi,

Control Panel - Device Manager - SOUNDS - look for HD Audio - Mine says RealTek High Definition Audio 
    (that is an example and yours may have an entirely different name/maker).

Write down description make and model - double click on it - drivers tab - write down version. Now
    Click UPdate Drivers which may not do anything as MS is far behind certifying drivers. Then RIGHT
    CLICK on it and UNINSTALL - REBOOT - this will rebuild the driver stack.

1st go to system maker's site and look for latest driver Download - SAVE - go to right click on and RUN AS ADMIN
    (This is your fallback.) REBOOT after each driver installation.

NOTE : Sound drivers often rollback so check the version after installation and the reboot to
    see if the version you installed is there, if not repeat the install - reboot until it is. It can take
    several tries depending on how many rollbacks it does.

Then do same for Device Maker's site.

Realtek - on right side click HD Audio Codec Driver
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/

Manually look at manufacturer's sites for drivers - and Device Maker's sites.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/driverdlmfgr.htm

How to Install a Device Driver in Vista Device Manager
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/193584-device-manager-install-driver.html

-----------------------------------------------------

Error “the Audio Service Is Not Running” When Opening the Volume Mixer in Vista
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/error-the-audio-service-is-not-running-when-opening-the-volume-mixer-in-vista/

Also Right Click Speaker near clock - Playback Devices - right click in the box area - check
    Show disable and disconnected devices. Highlight speaker and on the lower Right click
    Properties check settings for Device Usage enabled and so on. Also do same for Configure
    on Lower Left of that box.

In Control Panel you can also look for an Audio Manager along with the Sound Settings.

Problems with sound and audio or no sound - a Mr Fixit
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/no_sound

Tips for fixing common sound problems
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1e87a3e8-c0e8-49af-980f-9eb6686f42d21033.mspx

Speakers and other audio output devices
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/a43f3a31-6d9f-49d1-be22-e2f47b8b1f2c1033.mspx

How to Enable Hidden Audio Devices in Vista
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/143447-audio-device-enable-hidden-devices.html

How to troubleshoot sound problems that you experience after you install a Windows Vista Service Pack
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481

Hope this helps.

Rob - Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:33 AM
  • BLESS YOU!!!! FINALLY a solution! and it was EASY!
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:43 AM
  • Hi I tried this word for word but its is still showing a red cross over my audio icon.  It is scanning from my PC's HD. Is that right? Please help me resolve this matter. Cheers
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Thanks but this didnt work I could not find hardware and sound in controll panel.Do you have anyother options?

Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:41 PM
  • I AGREE WITH GABBY!! I NEED HELP AS WELL. I DOWNLOADED WINDOWS 7 AND STILL NO RESPONDS!! PLEASE HELP!!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:47 PM
  • hi you seem to be helping people a lot with this,  i have the exact same problem,  but in my control panel, it doesnt have a combined sound,  video and game controller option,  they are all separate and only give me the option to 'open' or 'create shortcut' any ideas? thanks

my mistake,  i found the right place but still didnt work for me :(
    Friday, February 19, 2010 3:21 AM
  • my laptop apparently has no recovery manager :(
    Friday, February 19, 2010 3:24 AM
  • Hey there Ace. I wanted to ask for your help. I followed you instructions, only problem, 
    in the device manager, the "SOUND VIDEO AND GAME OPTION"
    is not there at all. Hope you could help. Tried the drivers and am still having the same problems. Yor help would be appreciated. I have had this problem for days now. 

Thanks again.
    OoM1
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:07 AM
  • Thank you this worked for me after a few hours of pulling my hair out....next time ill check here first!!!
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:05 AM
  • Hey this didnt work for me. I went into device manger and I dont have a vidoe, game controller tab! What now??
    Monday, March 08, 2010 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for sharing. J

This doesn't always work u have to go to the manufacturers website microsoft, Dell etc... look up ur pc model and install the audio devices. I have a Dell dimension e521 and this didnt help. I also saw on other blogs that it happened do to making my pc go in hibernation mode sleep mode. I tried everything under the sun then i went to dells website and reinstalled drivers IT WORKS GREAT NOW NO RED CROSS        REINSTALL YOUR AUDIO DEVICES THROUGH THE MANUFACTURER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WILL WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    THANKS !!!!!!!!
    Monday, March 08, 2010 5:45 AM
  • In vista, try this:
    1- Go to Start and head to your Control Panel
    2- Opt for Device Manager, then click continue (it will ask you to do so; it's bloody vista)
    3- Choose Sound, Video and Game Controllers, right click it, then click RealTek High Definition Audio
    4- Go to the Driver menu
    5-Click Disable, then tell the damn program you are indeed sure
    6- Now click Enable, then OK

Should see you through!
    Friday, March 12, 2010 6:06 AM
  • Who don't have or don't finding in sound,Video and Game Controlers RealTek High Definition Audio there then download it .

Download from here:

http://www.brothersoft.com/realtek-high-definition-audio-driver-download-65158.html

Saturday, March 20, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Thanks so much. That was relatively painless!  Appreciate the help.
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 6:06 AM
  • hi, thanx 4 sharing your post. i did exactly as it said in your instructions but still i have no sound and the red cross is stil there. could u help me?? i have a windoz 7 btw.. thanx
    Monday, March 29, 2010 3:25 AM
  • i restarted my pc twice and it worked...thanks for the in4maxon....surely, it's a great help.. i've been having problems with these audio device recently.. i'm very happy that it turned back to normal..

by the way, does it really happens to most toshiba and windows vista users?..

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Ok, so what do you do if there is no "sound video and Game option"? ( in step 3.)
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:34 PM
  • this did not work for me.
    Monday, April 05, 2010 5:17 PM
  • I tried that I get message audio device not installed on I get a code 10
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:23 AM
  • I tried that I get message audio device not installed on I get a code 10
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:23 AM
  • SOLUTION SONY VAIO NO SOUND NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE NO SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLER IN DEVICE MANAGER

After 3 months I finally got my sound card to work! (Without having to disect my vaio & rip the sound card out!).

Sony Vaio Z series Windows Vista Business.

Booted into safe mode -

Add remove programs Uninstall realtec HD Audio.

Download and install the 2 Microsoft HD audio (sleep mode) patches detailed erlier.

Reboot

Reboot again into safe mode

Go to Programs Sony Vaio and open "Recovery Center"

Go through all the pages until the " reinstall driver tab"

Check Realtek Sound Driver & HD modem driver.

Install

Reboot

Go to device manager "Sound video and game controllers"

Not there?

Reboot

Not there?

Sleep Mode

Go back to device manager sound video and game controllers.

Uninstall the realtek  driver (Do not delete it uncheck check box).

Scan for harware changes.

reboot

Driver should install

No?

Sleep mode

My realtek hd audio came back working perectly FIXED!

Monday, April 19, 2010 5:49 PM
  •  

Dear Shallah,

I don't know whether or not you will see this message, but I just had to say thank you.  Your solution was the last thing I tried before I FINALLY got my sound up and running agin.  So I just had to say THANK YOU!!!!  I'm not totally sure if that did it, but, like I said, it was the last thing I tried, so I think it's very likely that that fixed it.  Like with you, I restarted and the sound did not come back.  So I turned the computer off, and, like you, went out to go get something to eat.  Later I turned the computer back on, and still no sound.  The dreaded "red X" was still there.  So I had pretty much given up at that point.  Well, there's more to the story, obviously.  Last night, before going to bed, I put the comuter into hibernate.  This afternoon, I turned it on, and the "red X" was still there.  No big surprise -- I was pretty much expecting that, given that it was there the night before.  I went about checking my e-mail and just doing "regular stuff" on my computer.  I don't know if this had anything to do with getting the sound back or not, but a notice came on from the McAfee Virus Protection/ Firewall program to update my programs (like it normally does).  I don't have it set on automatic updates.  Well, not long after that I just happened to glance down at the volume icon, and the dreaded "red X" was gone!!!!  YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would not believe the number of hours I have put into trying to solve this problem.  Well, given that you had the same problem, you probably would.  Microsoft really needs to do something about this problem.  It is obviously affecting MANY PEOPLE, and it needs to be addressed. 

To anyone trying to fix this problem:  DON"T GIVE UP!!!!  I highly recommend trying Shallah's solution.  BUT DON'T EXEPECT THE VOLUME TO COME BACK RIGHT AWAY.  It may take a while, or a few re-starts, or you may have to update your virus protection / firewall program.  Be patient.

If this doesn't work for you, keep trying other suggestions on this forum and/or other sites.  GOOD LUCK!!!!

paulj22

Sunday, April 25, 2010 5:26 PM

THANKX

I did steps 1 and 2, but I couldn't find SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLER anywhere on my DEVICE MANAGER window??
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Thanks for that,iv done that but nothing seems to have work akk it is saying This device is working properly.but i know its not because iv still got the red cross on my volume,thanks
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:00 AM
  • Sorry i left clicked it by mistake so iv just right click it everything went off and then come back on so wat do i do now swich everything off and restart it hope you can help me please.thank you
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:08 AM
  • iv try that iv even switch of my pc but the red cross is still there, wen i put my Arrow to the volume its saying no speakers are headphones plugged in,iv got compaq windows 7 please help iv no sound at all,and wen i go to my windows mobility centre its not showing my mute volume but everythind else,thank you  
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:38 AM
  • iv try that iv even switch of my pc but the red cross is still there, wen i put my Arrow to the volume its saying no speakers are headphones plugged in,iv got compaq windows 7 please help iv no sound at all,and wen i go to my windows mobility centre its not showing my mute volume but everythind else,thank you  
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:48 AM
  • Hi Thanks for sharing!!! But this didn't work for me. I have the same problem like the one you are talking about but i followed your instructions and it still didn't work. I would welcome some more advice on this.. thanks
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:50 PM
  • I tried your software but it cant work saying that no media device found... wat else can i do please? i need your help
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Thanks ACE2008,your info was helpful.I was stuck for a while after downloading all the drivers but wasn't fruitful. But your simple steps,I managed.Cheers
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:41 PM
  • dude i have a windows 7 toshiva laptop  it says i may be missing code 39 what dous that mean and what can i do to fix it. and when i try to play a song or something wit sount it says no audio output devise is installed. i already try the steps you said to try.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:24 PM
  • Thank you so much!!
    Friday, April 30, 2010 8:20 AM
  •  

Hi again Shallah and everyone,

Well, here's an update on the situation with my computer and the sound.  After trying Shallah's advice, the sound finally did come back on.  However, since then, it has curiously and randomly turned itself off and on many times, for no apparent reason.  Sometimes the red "X" will be gone, and then suddenly, out of the blue, for no apparent reason, it will just reappear, even without restarting the computer.  Just a little while ago, I was going to try cleaning the heat sink of my laptop, even though I doubt that this is a heat-related issue (although you never know).  I turned the computer upside down.  However, I actually wound up not unscrewing the bottom cover, or cleaning it, and just decided to wait on that.  I have no idea if this is related to what happened very soon after or not.  I doubt it, but you never know.  Soon after I put my computer back on the table, and plugged back the keyboard and the mouse, I heard the little noises that it makes when you do that!  So my computer had randomly turned the sound back on again, again for no apparent reason.  Of course I am glad to have the sound back, even if only temporarily.  Then, not much later, just totally out of the blue, a notice came on in the little notification tray at the bottom of the screen saying that new hardware had been detected, and that it was attempting to install the new hardware.  Well, it asked if I had a disk to install it.  I may have it, but I do not know where it is, and I don't feel like spending a lot of time looking for it.  So I told it to search for drivers online, and it said it couldn't find any.

Here is the message that came up:

modem device on high defiition audio bus

This is the hardware it said it was trying to install.  I have an HP Pavilion Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 .  I found what appears to be the drivers for the above on the HP site.  Howver, as the sound is working for now, I think I'm just going to hold off installing anything for now.  If  the sound goes away again, then this may be a good option.  As I said, for now I'm just going to hold off and hope and pray the sound stays on.

paulj22

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:32 PM
  • I am very irritated about this.  Did Windows create an update that would fix this??  I have a Toshiba and it is irritating to go through this.  There is no SOUND, VIDEO and GAME CONTROLLER in my device manager. 

So can someone please tell me what needs to uploaded so this doesn't happen again???  Does Windows even check this forum??

Thanks...

Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:29 PM

THANKX

ANOTHER SOLUTION:

this and all the other suggestions didn't help me but this did... i hope this helps...this is for hp only though, sorry :/

i got it from this website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01884922

there is a whole list of solutions, keep trying till it works :)

best of luck

Step 7: Restoring the audio driver
    Sound files and settings that become changed can cause sound problems. Restore the audio driver to reset audio settings for the sound hardware and reinitialize the sound configuration in Windows.
      NOTE: If the computer was upgraded to Windows Vista before being upgraded to Windows 7, you might not be able to use all the features of an integrated audio device that is compliant with Audio Codex '97 (AC '97) specifications. To resolve this, update the audio driver. See Step 8: Update the audio driver .
    Use the driver recovery process to restore audio drivers for the original sound hardware using the following steps:
    1. Click Start  , All Programs , Recovery Manager , and then click Recovery Manageragain.
      Figure 25: Recovery Manager
      Image of Recovery Manager
    2. Click Hardware Driver Reinstallation .
    3. On the Hardware Driver Reinstallation welcome screen, click Next .
    4. Select the audio driver to reinstall, and then click Next .
      Figure 26: Select the driver to reinstall
      Image of Hardware Driver Reinstallation window
        NOTE: If the driver you want to reinstall is not listed, select The driver is not in the list , and then click Next . Helpful information will advise you how to install drivers using the Windows Device Manager. Follow the onscreen instructions.
    5. The Recovery Manager begins reinstalling the chosen driver. After the driver installation is complete, click Finish to restart the computer.
    6. After restarting the computer, test for sound. If there is still no sound, continue to Step 8: Update the audio driver .

Friday, May 07, 2010 7:04 AM
  • This WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks man
    Friday, May 07, 2010 10:17 AM
  • hello,

i tried all the options and it did not work. my own case is that in addition to no audio output device installed and the red icon, my sound box has no speaker icon. not even one. Can anybody help me

Saturday, May 08, 2010 4:42 PM
  • This did not work.  Well let me begin.  I had purchased Windows 7, no audio device.  I purchased Windows 7 Upgrade, no audio device.  I was tired of it all now I have purchased a new laptop  and all is fine.  But I decided why not, and went back to my previous laptop and had installed Office Home and Student 2007.  Still no audio device.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Driver installation failed.  I guess nothing will work.  I had purchased a new laptop, and I am just trying to get this old one working.  It was built for Windows XP.  I had installed Windows 7, Windows 7 upgrade, then Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007.  No Audio Device no matter what I do to it? Thank you though.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:38 PM
  • hi,

i tried the (scane for hardware change) but it didnt work. i still have the volume icon with the x, and i restarted my computer three times o and i have a hp. what should i do? im going crazy!!!!

Sunday, May 16, 2010 2:32 AM
  • No SOUND, VIDEO and GAME CONTROLLER in your device manager?

After many hours not reading an answer, here's the solution that worked for me

I rebooted and went into setup, opted to reset to default settings, saved the changes and Hey Presto!!

What a pain it has been, but what a relief to sort it :) 

Update - Ok it worked a few times, but has since reverted to ignoring the sound card again :-(

Still searching for an answer!

• Edited by willsca Sunday, June 13, 2010 5:12 PM Update
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Did not work!
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:42 AM
  • Didn't work!
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:44 AM
  • what if we cant find "sound video and game option" 
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:52 AM
  • I have tried for hours with all the suggested fixes and none worked; UNTIL, I found that my headphones was plugged in halfway. I eventually plugged it in correctly and saw the icon changed to the correct speaker image.

Just wanted to let you know to also check your plugged in devices :).

Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Ummmm, sorry but i did this several times and it didnt work! is there any other way? 
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Yes it was Helpful to some extent, Bur I did not find '' SOUND,VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLER' in the panel.

viswanaha

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 11:03 PM
  • ACE2008 this is a great advice.  You're a star....thank you very much.

Daz

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 11:32 PM
  • "No Audio Device Installed"...I have the right answer for that problem (All Windows).

Tired updating the audio driver,checking the "SOUND" APP in Control Panel and no results...
    Follow this...

1.Check in Control Panel if you have the "Via HD Audio Deck" (REALTEC) Application.

2.if you don't find it,that means you instaled Windows,and Windows updated the driver...FATAL ERROR IN THIS CASE
    AND THIS MEANS,NO AUDIO.NO REALTEK APP IN CONTROL PANEL....NO AUDIO,FORGET THE"SOUND"APP.OK.

https://ebqiaa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pGTOZvG3koGI4ZXkzdb9unfdZWLWBSXoFwm1khT_UVgY9V9eZGbvrWIm8voYbKfGV7ydpnQ9Ql0FsULMWIDJiqi_muYGDwp7h/Audio%20config%20Vista.jpg

https://ebqiaa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pgj9Dol3O-uKdTEzHeY5bjtczLHLzik8mLADbGsU0NB9wj2x1ubEdaY1THBZeu6MhNOOPbtzg0aJur73jLiFFBIZGCaG0GysH/vista%20audio.jpg

3.Unistall the Driver go...Control Panel>Device Manager....unistall the audio drivers.

4.Go to  http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/  and choose "High Definition Audio Codecs(Software)
    and choose one of the blue options and download it(The .exe option is best than .zip)

5.Install the app. NOTE...THIS DRIVER NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED CORRECTLY,IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE
    IN THE INSTALATION...FORGET ABOUT GETTING AUDIO.

6.Restart Windows.That's it...go Control Panel and check "Via HD Audio Deck".

7.If you have touble in the instalation...FORGET GETTING AUDIO.Unistal again the driver and
    try instaling the driver again.

8.If problem the persist in instalation,you will need to reinstall Windows again,and DO NOT
    UPDATE ANY DRIVERS OK.SO...NO WINDOWS UPDATE.

9.With the new Windows repeat the steps.

10.Make the other updates.

11.get out of here....haha

IF YOU continue with problems that means you have a Virus.(SOUNDMAN.EXE / MUTE.EXE)
    GO>Control Panel>Folder Options>View>(uncheck)Hide protected operating sistem files
    Go to search and tipe this names.If you have this apps in your comp...MAN,YOU ARE INFECCTED

• Edited by LEONNYXX Friday, June 04, 2010 9:50 AM add pics
    Friday, June 04, 2010 9:43 AM
  • Sony Vaio - Lost sound after reboot!  No output device found.

Vista: Go to Control Panel>Device Manager, expand "sound", right click you sound device, disable and reenable.

For XP, go to Control Panel>System>Device Manager, expand "sound", right click you sound device, disable and reenable.

Saturday, June 05, 2010 2:15 PM
  • You are terrific! I have been scrambling for hours and stumbled onto this site by "mistake". If my children weren't already gown, I'd give you my first born.
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:10 PM
  • I celebrated too soon--forgive me my ebullient hope. I did everything as directed but nothing happened. I still have the red x but no sound. What do you suggest now?

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:31 PM
  • this isnt doin anything. no matter how much i try! please help!
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 2:13 AM
  • I did this, and still get the red X and "No audio output device installed" Now what?
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:33 AM
  • you need to either restart your computer or use your backup discs and start all over

Friday, June 18, 2010 4:34 AM
  • reestart your computer silly :]

Friday, June 18, 2010 4:38 AM

THANKX

I have tryd this and nothin has helped its still got the little red cross at the bottom right of the screen and it is still sayin no audio output device is installed, any other ideas?
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Simple fix really. I have this issue at work right now and discovered what it was really doing.

For the "No Audio Output Device is Installed" (red X over the speaker) PLUG IN YOUR HEADPHONES! If you use speakers TURN THEM ON AND UNMUTE THEM! Try ALL ports. Trying to find a work around but no luck yet. Don't need speakers or headphones for my students but currently it's the only way to make some software work.

For the "No Audio Output Device is Found" (think that's the error at least) you need to download the drivers for your computer and it should work (rebooting sometimes just works too).

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:42 PM
  • m8 i tryed this and the software for the sound is there but its not working still wht should i do ?
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Hey Ace, I would like to thank you for your simple, elegant solution.  It worked perfectly.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 3:27 AM
  • Hello I have this problem looked up and down this forum and tried everything here nothing has worked it says I have a hi def audio device but it only shows audio as headphones to plug in anyone know anything about this??

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:26 AM
  • '' SOUND,VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLER'' 

Does not appear when i go to what u said

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:36 PM
  • thanks but still no luck it just says i have no audio output installed on computer and i cant find divice manger
    Saturday, July 03, 2010 11:51 AM
  • t dont say on my netbook in contral panels sound games and video controllers
    Saturday, July 03, 2010 11:55 AM
  • i cant find video sounds and game hardware it only say printer and scanner hardwhere can you help me plz
    Saturday, July 03, 2010 11:59 AM
  • DO U NO HOW TO GET SOUND BACK ON SAMSUNG N130 PLZ

Saturday, July 03, 2010 12:12 PM
  • i cant find '' device manager'' in my control panel.

Monday, July 05, 2010 11:21 PM
  • hey i did this but nothing happened 

it still has a red cross at the bottom 

r there any other options?

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 8:17 PM
  • man dis didnt work
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:10 AM
  • NO SUCCESS FOR ME.STILL SEEING THE ERROR MESSAGE AND THE CD DRIVE AIN'T OPENING
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Had all the problems as listed above, spent last 2 days trying all the above solutions and just got it working by putting laptop (hp pavilion dv9821ea) into hibernation, switched back on and sound restored. Luck? Temp fix? Will let you know.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 4:22 PM
  • This solution did not work.

I will post a solution when I find one.

John

Thanks to all who are helping.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:40 AM
  • I have a problem in my pc. The sound driver is not working properly that is showing a massege that " No Audio Output Divice is Installed" but that is installed i have done also unstalled and installed, scannig hardware change the driver many time but problem is not solveing. Please any one help me

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:31 AM
  • Okay, I got all the way to device manager and there was no "SOUND,VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLER" option. thoughts? What should it fall between?
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:01 PM
  • I have done this, restarted my comp, shut it down, turned it back on, restarted it again, kinda seemed pointless. And Ive tried fragmenting, I've tried to uninstall reinstall... idk whats wrong with it, i have a forum up here that expains my problem into detail, it would be appreciated if you would take a look at it and tell me if you could do anything about it..

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistahardware/thread/50e8217e-2895-4f31-acff-e687a386c850

thanks..

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:41 PM
  • OK, so it was a temp fix.  Half an hour fix in fact.  Are we all using Vista?  Any other problems to go along with the sound issue?  My HP laptop seems to be getting unusually hot, with the fan working overtime.  All the quick touch button freeze up aswell.  Would not connect to a TV via VGA either last night, and thats never happened before.  HELP!!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:20 PM
  • I looked for sound, video and game controller in my device manager and it is not there. I have also tried disabling the sound from the BIOS and restarted the computer then going back in the BIOS to enabled it again and that did not work. Any other suggestions please?
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:56 PM