"Restore Previous Versions" Not Showing Dates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am the only user in our organization running the Creator's update. While testing our backups for previous versions of files, I noticed that the dates are missing from certain folders.
    Other users don't have the same issue, just my machine. 

When I right click a folder and go to "Restore Previous Versions", I can see many that are able to restore, but all are under the "Unspecified" category.

I've checked our servers, the issue is not happening.

I've tried it on a handful of users machines running 1607, no issues.

Clearly this is not a huge issue, we very rarely have to restore old files, but it happens, from time to time a user will accidentally delete a file.

Has anyone seen this issue before? 

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 4:42 PM

All replies

• There is often some confusion, since the "Restore Previous Versions" feature can be configured to work with the Windows 10 "File History" feature.... or (in a corporate environment) with the "System Restore" feature.

So, I'm wondering if you're seeing both???   ... and that's why you see different choices?

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:44 PM
  • There is often some confusion, since the "Restore Previous Versions" feature can be configured to work with the Windows 10 "File History" feature.... or (in a corporate environment) with the "System Restore" feature.

So, I'm wondering if you're seeing both???   ... and that's why you see different choices?

I am referring to files on our DFS share and the File History feature.
    Windows 10 Enterprise, Server 2012 R2 machines/VMs.

It's low priority, but I was mainly curious to see if others have the same weird bug.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:54 PM
  • Hi Kyle,

Sorry for can’t test, because I don’t have any backup file on 1607 version. Please test on another 1607 computer to see the result, upgrade test machine to 1703 version, check Previous Version tab.

If you see the same situation, I think it should be an expected phenomenon. Because Creators Update is a feature upgrade, after we installed a feature upgrade, it will clear some traces of system setting/configurations, such as previous update history, customized Windows Features, removed built-in apps etc.. So I suspect that your backups’ date record should be cleared with upgraded successfully, just like update history.

Since these previous version’ files are still fine, current should not be an issue.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 8:38 AM
  • Hi Kyle,

Sorry for can’t test, because I don’t have any backup file on 1607 version. Please test on another 1607 computer to see the result, upgrade test machine to 1703 version, check Previous Version tab.

If you see the same situation, I think it should be an expected phenomenon. Because Creators Update is a feature upgrade, after we installed a feature upgrade, it will clear some traces of system setting/configurations, such as previous update history, customized Windows Features, removed built-in apps etc.. So I suspect that your backups’ date record should be cleared with upgraded successfully, just like update history.

Since these previous version’ files are still fine, current should not be an issue.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

I have upgraded about a month ago to the Creator's Update.

Our file server that has the File History feature hasn't changed, it's still Server 2012 R2. 

I'll definitely do that and test this on another 1703 machine

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 3:10 PM
  • Ms Tang,

I have found another post regarding this issue and apparently it does have to do with the Creators update.

I'm not going to worry about it, so we can archive this post or whatever.

Thank you

Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:51 PM
  • Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:59 PM