none
Maximum ZIP file size in Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone know what the max file size you can create using the zip function in Explorer? I read it was 4gb. Have Win7sp1 64bit

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, in case of old Microsoft operating systems , the maximum zip file limit still remains 4GB as these utilized the 32 bit Fat file system.

For most recent iterations of Windows including Windows 8 and 7, no standard file size limits apply and you can create zip files which are only restricted by computer’s system constraints.

More information please refer to the following article:

http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/99/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by SHesser Monday, April 1, 2019 1:38 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Hi,

When you create a compressed folder (ZIP file) that is larger than 2 gigabytes (GB), the file may no longer be readable, and may become corrupted.

For your reference:

Compressed folder becomes corrupted when larger than 2 gigabytes

Hope these can help you.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 1, 2019 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, in case of old Microsoft operating systems , the maximum zip file limit still remains 4GB as these utilized the 32 bit Fat file system.

For most recent iterations of Windows including Windows 8 and 7, no standard file size limits apply and you can create zip files which are only restricted by computer’s system constraints.

More information please refer to the following article:

http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/99/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best Regards.

Thursday, March 28, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Was your issue solved?

If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Friday, March 29, 2019 8:54 AM
  • I was trying to zip up more than 10gb using Win7 native zip function built into explorer. It would error out at the same place saying the folder was corrupt. Tried it twice. Then used 7zip to zip and it worked fine. Mainly asking if the native zip function that is built into Exploder has some kind of limitation on size. I know the use of 3rd party zippers will zip well past the 4gb limit of the old 32 bit fs.

Thanks!

Friday, March 29, 2019 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

When you create a compressed folder (ZIP file) that is larger than 2 gigabytes (GB), the file may no longer be readable, and may become corrupted.

For your reference:

Compressed folder becomes corrupted when larger than 2 gigabytes

Hope these can help you.

Monday, April 1, 2019 6:20 AM
  • Thanks Farena!

I figured it's a hit or miss thing with MS. So basically they have no idea just that it can happen. Thankfully there are 3rd party utilities that can do the job.

Thanks again

Monday, April 1, 2019 1:38 PM