none
Cannot reconnect to Hyper-V VM once initial RDP connection is closed RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows 10 enterprise x64 (10.0.15063) hyper-v host and a windows 10 pro x64 (10.0.18362) hyper-v guest. Both run windows defender and no other anti-virus. All has been working fine until today, I see this behaviour:

- The guest starts up in the hyper-v console and I can connect using RDP or the built in window from the management console. All is good.

- I can minimize the session and re-store, all is good.

- If I close the remote desktop session then the vm is in a strange state. I cannot reconnect to it or shut it down, my only choice is to turn off the VM (!) then restart it and again and only then is it ok again. (I see this exact same behaviour when connecting directly from the hyper-v console).

The only thing that I am aware of that's changed is that a windows update ran on the guest (to get me to the version listed above).

Please let me know if this is a known issue or what I can check on the vm that could cause this?

Friday, August 23, 2019 12:44 PM

Answers

• There is a workaround for this, described at

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-black-screen/63c665b5-883d-45e7-9356-f6135f89837a?page=2

It sets a policy that forces the use of an older display driver model, apparently, but it lets me reconnect to my VM's running on a Windows 10 Professional 1903 system with the latest patches.

Architect, WF. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by albra Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:22 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>If I close the remote desktop session then the vm is in a strange state. I cannot reconnect to it or shut it down.
    I want to confirm with you if you mean click X icon of MSTSC window? Or, manually log off the session via right click Start icon -> Shut down or sign out -> log off?

First operation closes the RDP window, session is still existing and consuming resources on remote system. Second operation closes the session and release resources on remote session. Please confirm that if there will be difference of these two operations to close RDP.

Besides, once problem happens, what is the detail error message? If using CMD command line “telnet <remote IP address> 3389” to have a test, will there be responding? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 26, 2019 7:32 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, August 29, 2019 6:48 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Eve, apologies for the delay but I was out of the office.

In reply to your question - I experience the problem when I click the X icon of the MSTSC window. I have always done it this way as the session used to stay open and I could just reconnect and continue but now the VM goes into some strange hang mode and my only option is to force a hard 'turn-off'.

This is the exact behaviour from the connecting machine once the VM is in this state:

Click 'connect' in RDP window:

Initating remote session...
    Configuring remote session..
    Securing remote connection...
    About 5-6 minutes then I get the error:

This computer can't connect to the remote computer

The two computers couldn't connect in the amount of time allotted. Try connecting again. If the problem          continues, contact your network administrator or technical support.

If I try to telnet, I get this:

telnet 192.168.zzz.zzz
    Connecting To 192.168.zzz.zzz...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connection failed

Monday, September 2, 2019 8:45 AM
  • Thanks Ronald, I will try this depending on Eve's response.

I am loathe to edit the GP as it used to work just fine without any of these settings. (BTW I don't suppose it matters but both the VM host and guest are standalone machines and there is no domain)

Monday, September 2, 2019 8:47 AM
  • @Ronald:

>9. You are successfully connected to your remote Hyper-V server

I read your reply more carefully and perhaps I do no understand but it appears that the instructions are related to connecting to a remote Hyper-V server? If so then this is not my problem, my issue is that when I close an RDP session for a Hyper-V client then I can never reconnect to that client.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

If possible, please try to reproduce the problem, then, check Event Viewer on VM, based on the problem happens time to find relate event, including process crashing, RDP error and etc. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, September 9, 2019 2:28 AM
  • The problem is easy to replicate, it happens every time the RDP window is closed...I checked the time and looked through the event logs:

I see this before the issue, but there are several of them so I don't think that this is this related to the problem (in Windows Logs\Application log):

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        ESENT
    Date:          2019/09/09 9:46:05 AM
    Event ID:      455
    Task Category: (3)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Dev4
    Description:
    svchost (9736,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.

I see this after the machine has rebooted, not at the time of the issue (in Applications and Services Logs\RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCorTS)

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS/Operational
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-RdpCoreTS
    Date:          2019/09/09 9:52:52 AM
    Event ID:      227
    Task Category: RemoteFX module
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      
    User:          NETWORK SERVICE
    Computer:      Dev4
    Description:
    'Reverse Connection Listener Name not found.  Default Listener Name will be used.' in CUMRDPProtocolManager::CreateListener at 4100 err=[0x2]

I had a look at several other windows logs and Applications and Services Logs eg. all the Remote Desktop stuff and the Terminal Services stuff but nothing is listed. If the above is of no help could you point me to other sections I could check?

BTW I have since upgraded both the VM host and guest OS's to the very latest windows 10 build and versions and that made no difference.

Monday, September 9, 2019 8:26 AM
  • I am having exactly the same issue. It started after I installed the Window 1903 update. As soon as I close the RDP window I cannot reconnect to the VM and I have to restart the VM via HyperV manager to log in.

This is very frustrating as I have to reopen all the required apps each time I log in etc. Very time consuming and very weird. I was not able to find anything related in the EventLog.

However according to the HyperV manager and the networking tab the machine has no IP address (the field is blank) once I close the RDP window.

• Edited by Mide123 Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:01 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 12:14 PM
  • same issue here
    Saturday, September 28, 2019 9:32 PM
  • I also have the same issue. This appears to only affect a Windows 10 Version 1903 Build 18362.356. I have other Windows 10 VMs in Hyper-V that are v 1803 that can be connected to without any problems.  I have deferred the feature update to v 1903 to avoid this problem with my other Windows 10 VMs. 

If anyone has a solution, please share.

Thanks,

Roger

r

Saturday, October 5, 2019 12:38 AM
  • I have 5 VM clients with this same issue after the 1903 update. Before the update, the users could close the session with the X and this allowed their programs to continue running (great for doing updates, running to the bathroom, refrigerator, etc) and then when you came back, you just needed to log in again to the VM client.

However, if my VM users now forget to go to Start, Sign off, then they can't get back in. I have to log into the VM Server, Open Hyper V, and I can't log in or shutdown the stuck VM. I have to "Turn off", then Start, then connect. Once the VM is up I then go to Start, Sign Out. Then I have to text the person they can get back on. This happens at least 3 - 4x per day!

This "turn off" instead of shutdown is causing corruption on the W10 OP-sys. I already have redone one VM.

One Hyper V server has been running for 3 years with no issues with closing the X instead of Sign Out. the other VM server has been running 6 years with no issues until now.

This was a bad Microsoft update for VMs. I even recreated my virtual switch, created a new VM all to test. Nothing works

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:21 AM
  • I also want to add that this does not happen with RDP to a physical PC, only RDP to a VM. So i has to be something in the 1903 update or a security update that change settings for HyperV or the Hyper V switch.
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 1:59 AM

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-black-screen/63c665b5-883d-45e7-9356-f6135f89837a?page=2

It sets a policy that forces the use of an older display driver model, apparently, but it lets me reconnect to my VM's running on a Windows 10 Professional 1903 system with the latest patches.

Architect, WF. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by albra Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:22 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:22 PM
  • Hello,

It looks like the cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1903 (KB4517389) has addressed the issue.

Thanks,

Roger

r

Monday, October 21, 2019 12:05 PM

I'm not sure if this applies to me as I don't see the black screen. When RDP is closed I just cannot reconnect to it and have to turn off/restart before RDP will behave.

I can give the setting a try tho...do these settings need to be done on the 'connecting from' machine (where the RDP connection is initiated from) or the 'connecting to' machine (in my case the one that seems to hang)?

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:56 PM
  • Hello,

It looks like the cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1903 (KB4517389) has addressed the issue.

Thanks,

Roger

r

I have all 1903 updates installed (including this one) and the problem still persists.
    Monday, October 21, 2019 2:56 PM
  • Aaaah happy days - this worked for me, thank you for the input!

I set the display driver gpo on the machine that was giving trouble ie. the machine that I was 'connecting to' and I am now again able to close and re-open the RDP session at will.

@microsoft please note that this bug exists in v10.0.18362 and the above workaround is required to prevent the behaviour described.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:29 AM
  • I tried this, it did not work.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:27 PM
  • It did not fix the issue on any of my VMs. Still having the same thing. If you close the X instead of signing out or your session gets disconnected by power failure, loss of internet, whatever, you can't RDP into the VM again. You must log into the HyperV server, Turn off all of the affected VMs, Start them, Coneect (sign In), then Sign out. After all that the remote users can again RDP into their VMs. 

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:30 PM
  • We are not getting a black screen. We are getting Can't connect issues. 
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:31 PM