none
Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporary unavailable. "error code 80070005"

Question

• I know that the service is available because I can connect with my other computer using XP Pro. I don't know why to day I'm getting this message and I can't connect with my brand new Vista Ultimate operative system.

Can somebody give me a clue on what to do?

Thanks

Oriano

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 4:39 PM

Answers

• Hi

I have Vista Business for a week now and had a problem with MSN Messenger connecting, but it connected fine on my XP installation that is running on Virtual PC. So I did a troubleshoot and everything was correct and even the TCP test under advanced worked fine. So I tried enabling / disabling the firewall, no difference, then I thought I would take Messenger off from the Allow list through the firewall and tried for the hack of it and it worked!! maybe you can try it, else try and take it off the Allow list in the Firewall settings and Re-checking it...

Let me know if it worked!! it helps other people looking at the forum ;-)

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 6:24 PM

All replies

• I'm also having this problem with vista ultimate  ... Though if you really want messenger you can launch Internet explorer and search windows messenger 7 and download the old messenger for a temporary solution stupid microsoft .....wow only goes so far

Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:04 AM
  • I'm having the same issue when logged in as guest. I can connect without an issue when logged in as administrator. Any helpful hints appreciated. Ooops, forgot to vention that this is occurring with Vista only

Terry

Sunday, February 25, 2007 6:03 AM
  • Had Vista Home Premium now for about 3 weeks ,messenger was working fine till out of the blue I got this same problem. One step foward ,two steps back! will  go back and install version 7
    Saturday, April 07, 2007 8:37 AM
  •  

Unfortunately Win vista does NOT support POP and thats what makes msn live works you need to wait for update until that time I advice you to use msn 7.0 .

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:08 PM
  •  

I am having the same problem using Windows Vista Home - Premium .

However, problem is there with both Admin & guest profiles . As mentioned previously, Ver 7.0 gives a bit of work around.

Incidentally , Skype also does not work on Vista - any connection?

Saturday, June 02, 2007 5:13 AM
  • Hi

I have Vista Business for a week now and had a problem with MSN Messenger connecting, but it connected fine on my XP installation that is running on Virtual PC. So I did a troubleshoot and everything was correct and even the TCP test under advanced worked fine. So I tried enabling / disabling the firewall, no difference, then I thought I would take Messenger off from the Allow list through the firewall and tried for the hack of it and it worked!! maybe you can try it, else try and take it off the Allow list in the Firewall settings and Re-checking it...

Let me know if it worked!! it helps other people looking at the forum ;-)

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 6:24 PM
  •  

Yes it fixed the error code, uninstall 8.1 msn and reinstall 7.0 msn work fine now, hope there download fix for 8.1 msn for vista ultinate someday soon Thanks for the help.......
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:19 PM
  • I receive the same error code when i try to sign into Windows Live Messenger on the Vista system so i tried to install MSN Messenger 7.0 as reccommended. However, when i first open up msn 7 it comes up with the error R6025 and then when i try and sign in it says i need to upgrade to the newest messenger and just won't allow me to connect.

It won't give me the option running as administrator either and i have made sure the firewall allows it. Also, if I go to Tools, Options and then Advanced on the Messenger menu, my TCP connection fails to connect and i don't know how to rectify this. Hope that all makes sense!

Can anyone help?

Thank you

Lara

Friday, December 14, 2007 4:26 PM
  • My girlfriend has just upgraded to Vista Home Basic and had the dreaded 80070005 error code. It took me three days to sort it but it's a very simple fix in the end.

If you've got Vista and a password on your computer, make sure windows live messenger is closed completely, go to Control Panel>User Accounts  and remove the password. Now open up Windows Live Messenger and Sign in. You should find that you can now sign in. Now whilst you are signed in go back to Control Panel>User Accounts and set the password.

You should be now able to sign in and out of messenger without any problems.
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:03 PM
  •  LUKEYP wrote:
    My girlfriend has just upgraded to Vista Home Basic and had the dreaded 80070005 error code. It took me three days to sort it but it's a very simple fix in the end.

If you've got Vista and a password on your computer, make sure windows live messenger is closed completely, go to Control Panel>User Accounts  and remove the password. Now open up Windows Live Messenger and Sign in. You should find that you can now sign in. Now whilst you are signed in go back to Control Panel>User Accounts and set the password.

Thank you for you, i don't have any problem now. Your suggestion is very usefull. Thank you once again. ^^"

• Proposed as answer by gottabkd Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:08 PM
  • I did everything you said and it worked for me, I went on to control panel - User Account - and reset the password. Thanks.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 9:42 PM
  • Thanks that has worked for me

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:17 PM
  •  

i doest fix mine... i have tried alot dude but no use of it...
    Tuesday, May 06, 2008 1:35 PM
  •  

Same goes for me. Tried all of the above. What's worth noting though is that good ol' Windows Messenger still works lol
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:37 PM
  • Excelent!!!  Thank you very much.

Miguel

Monday, May 26, 2008 3:26 AM
  • Thanks, that worked for me.

Very strange .... VISTA will drown Microsoft
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:54 PM
  •  

i have the same prob and im using windows vista home basic myself and ive tried removing the program and reinstalling it and then i tried to remove my password and sign in but it didnt work so any ideas?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:28 PM
  •  

thx i deleted my password altogether and it worked x
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:41 PM
  • I have Vista Ultimate and the same ____ happened to me when I updated to Live Messenger.  I will certainly be glad when Millenium...er, I mean Vista is replaced. What a nightmare. Everyday it's something new. I spend all my time trying to "fix" ____ on it. Don't even get me started on networking and the fact that it will shut off your internet connection at random and usually right in the middle of something important. And then you can't get the networking back without a HARD boot because the machine won't shut off after it pulls that stunt. I guess I'm going to search around for the old messenger too. This is just ridiculous. XP was rock solid. This reminds me very much of Millenium...or Windows 95 without the blue screen
    Robbie
    • Proposed as answer by Milanabl Sunday, April 12, 2009 11:03 PM
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:32 PM
  • And now they just censored me for using the word "c r a p"   Good lord...
    Robbie
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:33 PM
  • My girlfriend has just upgraded to Vista Home Basic and had the dreaded 80070005 error code. It took me three days to sort it but it's a very simple fix in the end.

This did not work for me on my winVista home premium using MSNmessenger live... Is there another solution?
    I am using a Toshiba Laptop. I also tried to remove my "myname"@hotmail.com file as per microsofts error message 8007005 instructions, but apprently I do not have enuf permissions eventhough I am the only user having the same permissions as the parent file. I even rght clicked to unlock the file but I cannot delete it.
    Have been researching this for a week to no avail, so any help would be truly grateful.
    Thanking you in advance
    gottabkd
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Go to this link and problem will resolved

http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!14399.entry
    Monday, December 21, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Go to this link and problem will resolved

http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!14399.entry

is that safe ?????? :O ow and

And now they just censored me for using the word "c r a p"   Good lord...

____ Cr Ap
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:40 PM
  • i get what to do , but i dont. so could you mabey explain it a-bit less complocaited please :-)?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:41 PM
  • thanks this worked
    I had a password on my computer and removed it and that's why msn was not working so I set it again and it worked
    it's so stupid!!!
    msn stopped working since I removed the password but I didn't link the two events together
    so thanks you are awesome
    Monday, January 04, 2010 8:26 PM

• I know that the service is available because I can connect with my other computer using XP Pro. I don't know why to day I'm getting this message and I can't connect with my brand new Vista Ultimate operative system.

Can somebody give me a clue on what to do?

Thanks

Oriano

i had the exact same issue but i couldnt get it to work, i tried trouble shooting and it said everything was fine, i decided to use skype instead but even that wouldnt work. im usually a firefox/chrome web browser so i never noticed that it haddent been working for who knows how long. someone or something messed with my internet explorer proxy settings and when i was told by my cousin to check Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings and click Automatically detect settings and makesure nothing else was clicked unless you have for certain a proxy server u should be using. afterward i reset internet explorer and it worked. i tried skype and it worked followed by Windows live and yes it worked! i didnt restart my computer. i never uninstalled WL or skype. its working now and hasent messed up since

hope this helps

Monday, April 19, 2010 10:31 PM
  • This also works in Windows 7 as well. (especially in Win 7 Ultimate)
    Thanks for the answer.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:03 AM
  • Hi again... since I do not know how to ask another question here, I am replying to my original question... oh and I did not mean to "propose" the above as an answer... not sure how to undo it so sorry everyone

So I tried the above steps and now MSN want me to upgrade to the "new" MSN found here: http://www.windowslive.com/Desktop

Has anyone tried the new MSN and does it work with Vista? It seems it won't let me keep MSN 7

Thanking you in advance and sorry about the mistakes above

Cheers

Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:48 AM
  • Make sure the proxy settings is also setup correctly in Messenger if you are using a proxy server

You can also check that you have Administrator rights on your account and that the application is allowed to run under it

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:53 AM
  • I did that but it still not working
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:37 PM
  • as far I know this issue is lack of updates, most of the people having this issues lack on windows updates, since this new version of windows live requires the last updates of windows(including all the services pack's) most of the people doesn't update their pc fully, due "fail windows"(or pirated version of windows) or real lazyness, for the ones that HAVE the real windows and have this issue, update your pc, if you done so, un-install live msn completly and clean the registry, after that clear your cookies, and voila, install and it works.

(note this work'd for me, more info if your having trouble doing all of this, Sarios_L_Axe@hotmail.com)

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:23 PM